Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Interesting Obsevation

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I had to go in to Montpelier (Vermont) last night at 11p to pick up my son from his first day of work. Because I was unable to find parking close to where I was to pick him up I parked way down the street and walked up to meet him. It was rather chilly and rainy and I was wearing what I had when I went to work: Shirt, Tie, black dress pants, black shoes, dark grey overcoat and black Borsoliano. I chuckled to my self as I stood in the doorway to an empty business that I probably looked rather odd - if not creepy (although the cop that passed me waved).

As I stood there I started people watching (not many folks were out) and out of the 15 guys I saw, 10 of them were wearing fedoras. 7 of those were modern crappy ones and the remainder looked like quality lids. Ages ranged from 20 something to a guy that must have been in his late 50s. One guy who passed me wearing a nice wide brim and a trench coat nodded and gave me one of those "isn't it great" smiles. All in all with the vintage layout of Montpelier, the rain and all the lids it was pretty damn cool - almost like a time warp.

As I was waking back to my Jeep with my son, we passed a men's shop and State Street and I noticed they had a fair number of fedoras for sale - Stetsons etc so I think that, in Montpelier at least, Fedoras are making a comeback. I have to pick him up again tonight and it will be interesting to see if those figures hold true again.

mattface

Practically Family
I was at home last night, so I didn't make it into your count, but if I'd ventured out, this is what you'd have seen.

I bought the first Fedora I've owned in about 20 years at that same Men's shop about a year and a half ago. It's a Stetson Pisa which is a darned good hat compared to a modern wool felt, but compared to my vintage lids it's junk. I'd been coveting a fedora for a year or so before that, but needed something decent quality and affordable, and I was splurging even to buy that one on clearance. THe Men's shop has some decent hats from Stetson, Bailey, and Goorin Bros. A lot of them are stingy brims, and none of them a re super high quality, I think they're still afraid that $150+ hats won't sell. Since that time I've bought a Panama, and recently a bunch of vintage fur felt hats.

Last Tuesday night at Karaoke at Charlio's my girlfriend observed that I had the best fedora in the bar, and I observed that a few weeks before I'd had the ONLY fedora in the bar, and claimed to be the trend setter. While not strictly true, there is a kernel of truth in it. I've been wearing my fedora's and Panamas there for Karaoke night since I bought that Stetson a year and a half ago, and last Tuesday there were more fedora's in the bar than there have been in all that time. While I can't really take full credit for it, folks like you and I are in fact on the leading edge of the trend. If the trend continues, we may in fact be able to convince the Men's store that it's worthwhile to cary some better quality hats.

You should come out to Charlioke sometime, I won't be upset if I no longer have the best hat in the bar. :) Also Bacon Thursday at Nutty Stephs in Middlesex is another great weeknight evening out. I'm friends with the owner, and she likes to do theme nights, I bet I could convince her to do a Fedora night, or better yet a Speak Easy. Also she's doing a chocolate tour of Ecuador in February, could be a great time to pick up a new Panama for next spring.

job

One Too Many
I never see anyone wearing a fur felt fedora when I'm out and about. Sometimes I see different styles of wool and straw hats. Most people probably think we are crazy to spend what we do on a hat. I do get compliments though.

dnjan

One Too Many
The hats have been few and far between here in Pittsburgh since the end of Straw season.
Unfortunately ...

Duper

Practically Family
I just came back from the local mall and while perusing at Eddie Bauers, I noticed I was one of three men there in a broad brimmed hat. Now that was unusual. 20 people in the store and 3 in a broad brim. All of us were in the 50+ category.

HeyMoe

Practically Family
I was in Montpelier again last night and a lot more folks were out and about. I saw zero fedoras. I wonder if Friday Night was a fluke?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy