Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introducing the Rusty...

...Thanks Fdm - Actually, my head size is also 23inches, so this shaper does give a little taper once it is used. I didn't go for a 23.5 incher because I discussed the use of hatblocks for reshaping (as opposed to reblocking) with Dr Seuss over on COW, and he suggested getting a size smaller than I would normally get.

Reshaping is when you just plonk the hat on the shaper with the band still in it. The idea is just to restore the shape of the top of the crown, for changing bashes or reducing taper - clearly nowhere near as involved as a full reblock, and means you don't lose your hats for months while someone reblocks it for you. That was the intention behind this HatShaper, and although I have used it in that way, I prefer to remove the headband anyway.

If you want to get one for reblocking, then I guess you'd want to get a size larger, for the reason you mentioned. If you're only planning on using it for reshaping, with the headband in place, you need to get a smaller one so it will fit into the headband without a huge struggle.

By no means do I propose these are as good as proper hat blocks. They are designed for a different purpose altogether, and of course a wooden hat block is the best way to go for those with lots of spare money. But for those of us wishing to learn a little more about shaping and blocking, and how the felt behaves, this is an affordable way to experiment.

Also keep in mind that another difference is these shapers have a flat base to them, so their height is the absolute crown height possible in any hat you put on them. If you want a 6.5 inch crown, you won't get it with one of these. But if you want a 5.5-6 inch crown, they are fine.

ok, I'd like to get one of these hat shapers but i'm really confused on what size to get. my headsize is right at 23" and I have a wood "ring" that's 1" tall that I keep im my hats so they don't shrink on me. should I get the 23" hat shaper or the 22.5" shaper? I don't want to pull the sweat band from the hat, i don't mind removing the liner. I am just wondering that if my hats are a bit snug if I'm going to have problems pulling them down over the hat shaper. I mainly want it to reshape my campdrafts and fed IV that I've shaped / steamed too much and now they've developed a taper.

let me know what you experienced "shapers" do.

Thanks,

Rob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner