Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introducing the Rusty...

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I really appreciate the web-site, not just for the hatshaper but for the felting instructions, too. That looks like the next step in the process. One of these days, we may actually have a thread for hats we "felted" and then "built."

fatwoul

Practically Family
J.T.Marcus said:
I really appreciate the web-site, not just for the hatshaper but for the felting instructions, too. That looks like the next step in the process. One of these days, we may actually have a thread for hats we "felted" and then "built."

Yes, some of us having gathered the fur from our pets. :)

fatwoul

Practically Family
indycop said:
About time you finished!!:) Great job!:eusa_clap now how about a pictoral tutorial on the bow!:D

Haha thanks ic - The bow really isn't complicated. It's just as simple as it looks. The bow is separate to the ribbon around the hat. The bow itself is two pieces of ribbon, of different lengths, with the ends folded in, and the shorter one placed on top. A third piece of ribbon is wrapped around them, and the little assembly is held together with the stitched cross.

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
FW,
That looks fantastic, just as everyone else has said. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Is there a reason you chose the Straight Sided Dome over one of the fedora shapes for your "Hat Shaper?"
I am guessing it's because that leaves it opened-crowned ... but what was your thought process?

fatwoul

Practically Family
Zohar said:
That hat looks great. I really like those glasses, too. You have a good look.

Thanks Z - I don't wear those glasses all that often, because they are fairly heavy, but they seemed to suit that hat.

Bruneau said:
Great Job on the hat, Fat! And thanks for the Hatshaper's linkage.

No probs - glad to help. Mine has not served me well twice - on this hat and the brown Resistol. For a newb like me I think it made more sense than spending lots of money on hat blocks straight from the start.

HamletJSD said:
FW,
That looks fantastic, just as everyone else has said...

Thanks HJSD. It was a fun project and a good place for me to start.

HamletJSD said:
Is there a reason you chose the Straight Sided Dome over one of the fedora shapes for your "Hat Shaper?"
I am guessing it's because that leaves it opened-crowned ... but what was your thought process?

Yep, you got it. I didn't want one of the fedora shapes, because I wanted to crease the hat myself afterwards. I'm still experimenting with different shapes, and the shape I choose can depend on the look I want, and the crown height, to name a couple of things. The preshaped hatshapers seemed to be a little more limiting for my needs, and I didn't want all my hats to look the same.

There are two domes available - a shorter ones, and the one I have. For fedoras I recommend the straight sided dome I have. It can just about manage a 5 3/4 open crown - maybe a little more than that. That's just about enough for most fedora shapes, it seems, and of course a shorter crown can just sit a little higher up the hatshaper when forming. I tried this on my Hills hat, and that now has a nice Derby crown, with a 2.5 inch brim. I don't know what you'd call that hat, but I quite like it. lol

So yeah, the reason you gave is bang on.

Thanks for resurrecting this thread, guys. Nice to know it's still of interest. RBH will be pleased, too. :)

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
fatwoul said:
Thanks for resurrecting this thread, guys. Nice to know it's still of interest.

Definitely of interest.
Not everyone feels the same, I'm sure, but even if you have the money to simply buy what you want, it is still very fulfilling to get a great deal on something not wanted and ... "fix" it.

My dad has a cowboy hat ("cowboy hat" read "conversion candidate") he has never worn because of the size or shape or something. Next time I see him (couple of months) I plan to try to re-shape it for him or, if unsuccessful, free him from its burdening weight ;)

fatwoul

Practically Family
lol Stop your nagging, all of you! I might post some more if I get time next week! lol

fatwoul

Practically Family
Thanks bruce. Glad you liked it.

If you have a look at the end of my last post on the first page of this thread, I put all the links for hatshapers and some information about the one I use. I don't blame you for missing it - my posts there were far too...verbose. :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner