Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Introduction

Slacker Drummer

Familiar Face
Usually I don't wear a hat and I don't see myself becoming a big hat-wearer, but those mornings when the temps are in the single digits and the high is in the mid-20s have convinced me that I need a better hat for work than I've had. I have my dad's old Champ from the 1960s, but at size 7 it's long since been relegated to the kids' dress up bin. Thanks to the community here, I've been able to learn a lot about hats. At first envy got the best of me. I began to troll ebay and found, watched and occasionally bid on some wonderful hats (that my wife would have killed me for buying). Then one day in my search, up popped the perfect hat for me. It is a Towncraft Plus 4X beaver with hand felted edge. It is nearly identical to my dad's old Champ with what today would be considered a stingy brim. It's in near-mint condition with only a little discoloration in the lining. It came with just a center dent and I steamed in a couple of shallow front pinches, which I think give it a little more character (thanks again for the knowledge of this forum).

Anyway, I'm unlikely to be much of a contributor here, but wanted mostly to say "thank you" for helping me on my quest, whether you knew you were or not. Who knows? I may get the bug. In the meantime, here is a pic on my first day at work in the "new" hat.

MyNewHat_zpsd49fb2b2.jpg

Kenneth

Tedquinton

A-List Customer
Hi Jon

Your story sounds similar to my own. I had always had an interest in hats, partly from a certain Dr Jones but more particularly from my interest in Film Noir. It was only when I reached a certain age that I felt comfortable wearing a fedora, and it was roughly a year or so ago that I bought my first hat, a moonstone Fed IV. It is grey with a black ribbon. You should check it out as the pound is strong against the Oz dollar at the moment.

Since then I have bought several more and have discovered the joy of getting a custom hat made. It really can't be beaten. As to your belief hats are about to make a comeback. I have definitely seen an increase on say 5 years ago, I live in SW London and I will see at least one other Fedora being worn in the area I live on a daily basis. In truth I haven't noticed any large increase in the past year though, except in cap wearing I have see an awful lot of middle age men taking to wearing flat and newsboy style caps this winter. Perhaps it's something to do with the windy conditions we have just been through, and may be they will progress to wearing fedoras now the weather has improved. I hope so.

Anyway welcome to the lounge there are a few of us Brits here!

Jonathan Jones

New in Town
Thanks, Tedquinton (and Crazy Dave!).

I've had a lot of recommendations on the Fed IV, so I have to pull the trigger on that one at some point. I keep thinking the Moonstone is just a tad too light in colour, but it must be a lovely felt as people keep recommending it.

At the moment, I'm torn between getting a Garrison Raiders Travel after I emigrate back to the USA (in a month's time), or picking up a Fed IV of some description. All the currency conversions are doing my head in, but it doesn't seem like I'll be getting a bad deal if I order it in USD... just was hoping to have a new hat to wear around town before I leave Blighty. *sniff*

ingineer

One Too Many
Time for me to introduce myself
My name is Richard, and it seems as though many of my searches on the WWW seem to end up here at the FL. Since a youngster there has always been a lid on my head, and there has always been a comment “Where's your hat?” when sans chapeau .
Needed to do a great big Thank You !!
for all the folks putting up pics of all their stuff to share .

I am a collector of vintage watches particularly vintage Hamilton's esp. 917 movements.
Found a very nice “Martin” recently.

Also some strange like super compressors from the sixty's

In the past have owned many Stetsons, Baileys, Master Hatters of Texas etc.
Always had a “crusher” as taught by father, and sorry that the Indiana Jones reference is heard wearing one. Forty years ago bought my father an open road that he always wore fishing.

However now in New Jersey a better Fedora seems more in line therefore just found a nice Campdraft that seems to suit me. Necessary to replace the ordinary Tilley's and such that now have.

Very fond of A2's although do not own the best, M1A's but just have cheap. Gloverall toggle coats and Harris Tweet are really my favorites.
Of course, Pea Jackets N3Bs etc.
Have a compulsion to add to my jumper collection
Engineering boots, yes!! Thanks for the threads on resoles.
So hard to find the quality from years gone by esp. with 61 head.

vive valeque
Richard

Claudio

Vendor
Buongiorno everyone,

been lurking sometime and thought I'd join in the fun. I am an Italian living in the Catalan woods (northern Spain) and wear Panamas, pork pies, Trilby's and some vintage caps

Imagen1.jpg

(and I play the blues) :)

DonGF

New in Town
New here and from what I can tell the lounge is a friendly group. I'm an admin on another forum that is also a friendly place so the FL staff and members are commended on how well it runs. I have questions but am browsing around a bit to see if they've already been answered. Plus I just saw the quick question thread. ;)

Mobile, Alabama is home where it is hot and 90-100% humidity most of the time. I've been wearing ball caps but there is no style there. Recently I've pick up an inexpensive straw fedora and really like it. Learning about my new fedora I stumbled on some fashion sites that basically said no fedoras - ever, but I also found the FL and feel right at home.

RJR

Welcome,you should find all sorts of information on straws and other hot weather hats in the various threads.

DonGF

New in Town
Thanks. I just ordered a Capricorn in fawn and a Stylemaster in moonstone (3 mo wait). This is my launch into the world of fedoras.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn