Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Invitation

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Don't know if this has been up, but anyway:
If you could invite anybody - from past and present - to a dinner, which 6 people would it be? Why? And what did you expect to get out of such an evening?

My list would be something like:
Winston Churchill
- because of his political knowhow and humor. (And he can drink!)
Sophia Loren
- just because she is so much Sophia Loren
Penélope Cruz
- because she is so very much like Sophia Loren - only younger.
Napoleon Bonaparte
- because he obviously had visions (-and a smart hat.)
Joseph Heller
- because he is one of my favourite writers.
Bret Favre
- because I think he is the best and he has humor.
Bill Bernbach
- because he is my professional idol.

And then I would just sit back, and expect a lively evening, where Napoleon propably would leave early. Because him and Churchill did not get along that well. (And who knows, maybe Penélope would leave with him???)
Winston, Bernbach and Heller would have a swell time. As would Bret.
And I would hope for a little nightsnack made by Sophia Loren. Just a little pasta something....later.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
These would be my guests:
Picasso
Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald
Ernest Hemingway
Cole Porter
Charles Chaplin

The reasons are self evident ...I think.
But you know what Spitfire? This is not fair, I have left so many friends out...can we have another dinner and another and another and talk till the end of time?

Mojito

One Too Many
I used to love playing this game (although we usually allocated about 20 places, had to have a gender balance, and also selected the musicians from throughout history to provide the entertainment).

1. Anne Boleyn -
Lively, intelligent, bewitching.

2. Michael Collins -
Intelligent, passionate, charming when it suited him (although he was known on occasion to start bread roll fights when at formal dinners - he did so once when asked by an American admirer what it felt like to be an Irish hero, after grumbling to her in response "how the hell should I know?").

3. Louise Brooks -
We could always talk Proust

4. Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
Charming, erudite, and imagine the stories he could tell about the 20th Maine and 5th Corps

5. Meritaten
I'm very curious about Akenaten and Nefertiti's eldest daughter. Perhaps she'd have some light to shed on how the Amarna period ended and the fates of her parents and herself (although as hostess I suppose it wouldn't be appropriate to ask!)

6. Abraham Lincoln
Cliched, I know, but I just adore the bloke.

If anyone had to decline because of prior engagements, I'd also love to see Harold Lowe (5th Officer RMS Titanic), James Moody (6th Officer RMS Titanic), Ernest Shackleton, Robert Falcon and Kathleen Scott, Emily Bronte (doubt we'd be able to get a word out of her, though), George Mallory, Sandy Irvine, Mata Hari (curiousity about the woman behind the legend), Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald, Anita Loos, Ned Kelly, Hatchepsut, Eleanor of the Aquitaine, and a half dozen others.

Jay

Practically Family
Great Idea!
I think my table would look something like:
Humphrey Bogart-Just to be in his presence.

Hunter Thompson-The Father of Gonzo Journalism

Howard Hughes-Genius and Aviation Hero

John Dillinger-The more I read about the things he done, the more outrageous it all seems.

Groucho Marx-I would love to be exposed to his wit and jokes.

BigFoot-Thus proving his existence. And I'm curious why he's hiding.

Upon looking over all these people again, I give it about 5 minutes before the place 86s us. But it should be fun.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
1. Charles Boyer
2. Charles Chaplin
3. Charles Manson
4. Charles Dickens
5. Ray Charles
6. Sigmund Freud

I chose all Charles because it would be interesting to see an entire group with the same name having a conversation. Sigmund Freud would also have a heyday in psychology.

Dickens - "Charles, would you please pass the butter?"
(Charles Chaplin reaches)
"No, not you, the other Charles!"

Chaplin - "which Charles!?"

(Sigmund writes notes in his notebook)
Sigmund - "very interesting...very interesting"

And where would this dinner be held, you ask?
Charleston, South Carolina of course!

While listening to a live band playing the Charleston.

Novella

Practically Family
Jay said:
BigFoot-Thus proving his existence. And I'm curious why he's hiding.

lol Good one.

1. Oscar Wilde

2. any Monty Python member

3. Stephen Colbert

4. Virginia Woolf

5. Dick Powell

6. Louis Le Prince

I'm mostly looking for a dinner party with humor and wit. I'd especially like to listen in on the Wilde/Colbert conversation. Woolf and Le Prince throw off the humor/entertainment theme, but I'd really like to talk to the author of Mrs. Dalloway, and find out why Le Prince disappeared.

This was harder than I thought it would be. I would rather meet fictional characters (Archie Goodwin, Nick and Nora Charles, Cassandra Mortmain, etc.) or talk to some average joe types instead of famous people who led lives that weren't ordinary. (like Depression era housewife, WWI solider, etc.) I know their deviation from the norm is often what makes famous people interesting, but I'm just as interested in the lives of the average person as I am in the rich and famous.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Half Time Lounge break

1. Oscar Wilde
2. Thos Aquinas
3. Hillaire Belloc
4. Lucrezia Borgia
5. Simone de Beauvoir
6. Flannery O'Connor
:)

LadyStardust

Practically Family
1.Teddy Roosevelt
2.Frederic Chopin
3.Greta Garbo
4.Annette Hanshaw
5.Tyrone Power
6.Rex Harrison

I think most of these are pretty self-explanatory. Tyrone is mostly superficial, I'll admit sadly. Rex for his incomparable wit, and voice, in general.Greta Garbo for hermystery, and incredible allure. Frederic Chopin and Annette because they are two musical artist, despite being from two completely genres, who never cease to floor me with their works. Teddy for his huge personality, intelligence and insight.

Amelie

A-List Customer
1- Simone de Beauvoir
2- Joséphine Bonaparte
3- Cate Blanchett
4- Elizabeth 1
5- Aliénor d'Aquitaine
6- Jan Van Eyck

oh my I would add so many people to that list

And I will probably wake up tomorrow wondering why I have written X instead of Y lol

pigeon toe

One Too Many
It'll take me too long to thing of a whole list, but I know for sure, Buster Keaton would be my first choice! I'd probably spend the whole night trying to seduce him though!

farnham54

A-List Customer
Easy:

My girlfriend, my mom, my dad, my friends Tyrell and Ben (and, their significant others if I may) and my boss who is also one of my best friends.

Those people complete me, and are more important to me personally then anyone else in the world, living or dead. I hesitate to name people from history because I know not what kind of people they were, but more importantly, they know not what kind of person I am. My list, all of us know each other and we can have a good time irregardless of the depth or frequency of conversation. We can eat, drink, and be merry anytime, anywhere.

Cheers
Craig

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
happyfilmluvguy said:
1. Charles Boyer
2. Charles Chaplin
3. Charles Manson
4. Charles Dickens
5. Ray Charles
6. Sigmund Freud

I chose all Charles because it would be interesting to see an entire group with the same name having a conversation. Sigmund Freud would also have a heyday in psychology.

Dickens - "Charles, would you please pass the butter?"
(Charles Chaplin reaches)
"No, not you, the other Charles!"

Chaplin - "which Charles!?"

(Sigmund writes notes in his notebook)
Sigmund - "very interesting...very interesting"

And where would this dinner be held, you ask?
Charleston, South Carolina of course!

While listening to a live band playing the Charleston.

What a great concept lol lol lol lol

GOK

One Too Many
Leaving aside friends and current family, my choices would be:

Oscar Wilde
Mark Twain
Arthur Conan Doyle

Richard III
Cecily Neville
Emily Pankhurst

Johnny Depp
Stephen Fry
Bill Bailey

I'd also be interested in having Jesus there and Hitler too.

I think the reasons for the above guest list are pretty self-evident; intelligent conversation all round, plus wit.

Disclaimer:
I am not a Christian, nor a Jew and I have no Nazi sympathies at all - I'd merely be interested into gaining an insight into these two very compelling men.

ETA: I've just realised there is only one woman on that list....and she is one of my ancestors! lol

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I've often thought about this, and it pretty much comes down to a list of folks I'd really like to have had the chance to sit down and have a good conversation with...

Fred Allen
Eleanor Roosevelt
Richard Nixon
Dorothy Kilgallen
Malcolm X
Margaret Sanger

I have no idea how this particular group would get along at a dinner party, but I'm certain it wouldn't be boring...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buhles