Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ipad Users, Pls Chime in!

Adcurium

A-List Customer
I've had an iPhone for several years now and could never imagine living without it. Recently, I've been tossing aorund the idea of also getting an Ipad (which I underdestand is like a bigger iPhone which doesn't make calls). So I keep coming back to "Do I really need it since my iPhone suits my email and web surfing needs?" Yeah, web surfing isn't all that easy with the smaller screen but it functions just fine.

My wife wanted an e-reader so I figured instead of getting a Nook or Kindle that ONLY has that one purpose, I would get an iPad which will function as an e-reader, a web surfer, etc.

Anyone have any comments? If you have an iPad, do you also have an iPhone? How do you use your iPad? Has it made your life better or more efficient?

JakeHolman

One of the Regulars
I use my iPad every day - in fact I'm writing this on it! I commute to work each day, about an hour and the iPad is perfect for this. I watch movies, play games, even read ebooks on it. At home it's easier to lay around on the sofa browsing the web than using my laptop - particularly if my wife needs the internet too.

It's not a big iPhone ( I have an iPhone ). It's also not a laptop. Its something in-between which IMO is really useful.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Just go buy one (or rather, order one, and wait). I teach an iPad Lab at the local library. iPad's capabilities amaze me every time I pick one up. It is most definitely NOT an larger iPhone that doesn't make calls. And for heaven sake don't get drawn into a knockoff.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
I purchase one last year and use it in the living room as our go to web browser. I look at the Fedora lounge all the time with it. I also use the eBay app to keep up to date with hats I am watching. The eBay app for the iPad isn't as good as the one for the iPhone. My wife uses the iPad all the time and when AT&T had the 49 dollar 8gig model for sale she had to have one. Once you have one you will wonder what you did with out one.

Edward

Bartender
Don't expect it to be a replacement for a Kindle. The K is specially designed as an ebook reader, it is not backlit and otherwise easier on the eyes. Backlit screens are not ideal for a bookreader. The iPad is a very user-friendly browsing device. It's no replacement for a laptop, but it's not really intended to be. Something like it would be great for using on the move, or on the sofa, any where you wouldn't be bothered with a full size laptop. Personally, I find them an overpriced novelty... ymmv. The lack of usb on the mark 1 was a major fail imo, a real drawback unless you're happy downloading all your content. I won't be buying a mark 2 either. Still overpriced by comparison to the price of a laptop. I also don't care for Apple products. I have an ipod which is great, but I hate the smug lifestyle branding which is core to their marketing. Also, Apple are very into a 'walled garden' approach. It's all about making you an Apple person and boxing you into using the Apple version of everything. Choice limiting. If that doesn't bother you, and you can find one at a good price, they're an option. If you can live with the drawbacks of the mk1, you might get a good dealvon it. I'd consider one myself for about USD150, but no more.

Doublegun

Practically Family
I've had mine for the past 6-months and I would be completely lost without it. I do more and more on mine and less and less on my laptop. I don't have an iPhone but I do have a BlackBerry and I'd get rid of that (if it weren't company issued) and just use a cell phone. Apps - gawd, so many that make life so much easier. We just got back from a 2,500 mile driving vacation. Three laptops, two iTouches, two Droids, one BlackBerry and a GPS in the car and the iPad was the most useful piece of electronics in the car. Bottom line, get one.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
One of my friends is using it to create the most unbelievable paintings - with a brush. The result has texture - mind boggling. The colors blend exactly as they would on canvas. She does sketches with virtual charcoal and smudges/blends it with her thumb. Some of the books-as-apps are a total interactive immersion experience. While reading about a murder, a timed spray of blood across the page. A full word processor, spreadsheet, presentation software available. Also photo editing, on the fly video creation/edit. And the ability to have real-time video conferencing. The capabilities are only being discovered by app developers.

Pompidou

One Too Many
When the iPad 1 came out, it really did seem like "an oversized iPhone that makes phonecalls." I couldn't imagine Steve Jobs' Mac World presentation for it. "We've taken the iPhone..." "Ooooh!" "And made it three times larger!" "Hurray!!" "Shh, shh... And that's not all." *Shocked silence* "We've removed features. It's an iPhone - that doesn't fit in your pocket - and can't make calls! I call it, the iPad!!!" *Standing ovation*

Now that the iPad in general has made some growth in app development, and the iPad 2 is available, it seems more like a middle ground between smartphone and laptop that I actually want to buy. I've got a Macbook Pro. I've got an iPhone 4. I have lots of business meetings, often at restaurants, bars and cafes. The phone is obviously too small for displaying charts and presentations. My laptop often proves to be too big. The iPad has iWorks apps now, and that pretty much clinches the deal.

Edward

Bartender
When the iPad 1 came out, it really did seem like "an oversized iPhone that makes phonecalls." I couldn't imagine Steve Jobs' Mac World presentation for it. "We've taken the iPhone..." "Ooooh!" "And made it three times larger!" "Hurray!!" "Shh, shh... And that's not all." *Shocked silence* "We've removed features. It's an iPhone - that doesn't fit in your pocket - and can't make calls! I call it, the iPad!!!" *Standing ovation*

The sad thing is that he would get such a rapturous response for pretty much any old thing. Apple are now fashionable to the point where folks will queue up at midnight for a launch of anything they put out, no matter whether it's any good. The real shame of this is that they no longer have the impetus to put out the best products. Still, the success of the iPad has resulted in more tablet products coming on the market, which is a good thing.

Tatum

Practically Family
Saw this thread and I have to chime in. I'm on mine right now, and I love it. Hubby bought one when they first came out, with the intent to take our business paperless. One we figured out how, he bought one for me and one for his other employee. It's great when you don't want to break out your laptop to surf, and I have gotten addicted to Scrabble. Also, sometimes I need to look something up while sewing, and it's great for that.

The only downside: hubby listens to sports radio on it in bed, when I'm trying to read! :eusa_doh:

Adcurium

A-List Customer
Well, I've had it for about 2 weeks now and I've enjoyed having it, but it hasn't quite changed my personal or professional life in any great way. So far, I'm just using it to read the NY Times in the morning, I bought a few books from iBooks and I have a few of my Masonic notes on the thing. And I use it to surf the net but I find not having a flash player to be a huge disadvantage. If I were in sales, I think it would be a Godsend; pulling up some photos and being able to say "Here are some of our products and here is how other customers use them, display them in the store, etc." The iPhone made my life soo much more convenient (I played hooky last week and my wife and I took our shorty to the zoo. My clients didn't even have to know I wasn't at my desk as I was returning email rather quickly). And I guess I was expecting the iPad to be as much as an improvement as the iPhone was. Overall, I'm glad I got the iPad and I'm willing to spend some time learning it's different functions and applications in the hopes that it will make me more efficient. So if anyone has any good aps to recommend, pls let me know.

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
Apple are now fashionable to the point where folks will queue up at midnight for a launch of anything they put out, no matter whether it's any good.

That's a big leap on your part, actually. Name a product Apple has released in recent years that isn't any good. Apple makes innovative products that fill a need or niche consumers (and competing companies) often didn't even know existed. The day they stop doing that, their cachet and the loyalty of their customers will start to dissipate.

If the iPod, iPhone, or iPad hadn't satisfied those who purchased them, they wouldn't have proven to be the huge successes they are, so give credit where it's due and don't insult those who find Apple worthy of consumer loyalty (which you do by suggesting that we're merely buying what's fashionable). I've used other products plenty, and I'm a devoted Apple customer as much for my bad experiences in using those competing products as for the high quality and innovation Apple brings to the table.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I moderate the Lounge on mine! I've had it for almost a year now.

I sometimes find myself wishing that it would do other things. For instance, it would be great if it had an alarm app that would wake me up in the morning, give me a weather report, tell me if I have any emails, maybe begins reading the latest Lounge posts; whatever it is that I ask for it to do. I know that the machine COULD do this, but so far, no one has written an app for me so that it can! If Tony Stark has it, why can't I? ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo