Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IRVIN SEASON OPEN! (Time to get it out Gents)

That's the best part about Perfecto styled jackets - they can't tell them apart. As far as my lady's concerned, I've just one.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Im now Officially Declaring Bomber jacket season open as of tonight.

Frost in the air tonight, October sky pitch black, lit with Jewel like stars, Were in Business.

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well we've finally hit D1 season here in the South Western UK :)

Attachments

• IMG_0483.jpg
    IMG_0483.jpg
    195.8 KB · Views: 107

Deacon211

One Too Many
I've worn my Irvin once so far when we had a cold front come through. Not quite cold enough to wear around, but perfect for laying in the hammock and snoozing on a sunny (but chilly) autumn day!

My G-1s on the other hand have been getting a workout!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've worn the ThunderBay but not the D1 and certainly NOT the Irvin.... yet. perfect jacket weather today... 50's with a slight breeze.

Worf....

aswatland

I have been wearing several Irvins recently, including this superb Links-made later War jacket. It belonged to Flight Lieutenant John Raymond Weeds, D.F.C. (119824). John Weeds was a pilot in No. 224 squadron flying Liberator Vs in the RAF Coastal Command. As an RAF career officer post War he flew the Lancaster GR3, Halifax and the Shackleton, ending his career in 1959. He is mentioned in the London Gazette in 1954 and 1959 when he was awarded the Air Force Cross.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
You probly think Im being an arsehole asking you this Andrew, but Im not...how do you Justify wearing out original 70+ year old Jackets with serious Provinence, I only ask because I wouldnt have the guts to wear my originals knowing the wear and tear Im risking.

Not trying to be a jerk or whatever, there must be something practical you can tell yourself in order to Wear those amazing Jackets you have.

If its wearing Jackets like that Just for *show* thats another thing.

Im talking strict *function only* Garments like these Jackets, now being strictly worn for *look* and fashion now ironically.

Whereas some people have the idea that original Irvins are what you have to wear when you are riding your Motorcycle all over the countryside.

Again, Ive *ALMOST* put my Irvin on as Im leaving to go in to town..but Its the people who come up to me off the street looking for trouble that keep me wearing something that I could get run over wearing.

My Original Jackets stay at home on the shelves, when Im away I worry of losing them in a house fire.

Its a constant dilemma of mine.

Yes, wearing them isnt exactly *bad* if it keeps the leather broken in..

so Andrew, Hats off to you and yours.

May you and your Jackets Live long and prosper so to speak.

BTW what do you use on the fleece of your Jackets!!! Wow!

Last edited:
The way I see it, it's just a jacket, a piece of clothing and if you don't wear it, what possible use does it have? War's long over. This type of jacket is no required, nor produced - at least not for what it designed for. It has no practical purpose thus it has no value in itself - except for what you make of it. It only means something to you, and you alone. Sure, there are other people who love these jackets, like us here, but you know what I mean. And if YOU won't wear it... You think someone else will treat it the same way you have? I've seen a beautiful, 70 years old shearling jacket that could've been sold for a pretty penny turned into a dogs bed. And the dog loved it. So wear it, man, even if it gets all teared up. Stitch it up and wear it again. You're very lucky to own it in the first place and if you won't wear it, who will?

And yeah, you can't wear these for anything other than the look and fashion anymore. Even if you have your own... WW2 bomber that you flew wearing this jacket, you're still playing pretend. :D

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Just struck my mind:
During WWII these Irvins were mass-produced at a price as low as you could get them. The aircrews did not pay anything to get them.
Not in money at least. (There other price is something we can discuss later - or in another post)

If you - to day - are the happy owner of one of these historical jackets, you tend not to wear it, because of its originality, heritage and history.
And the fear that it might be torn or stolen - or whatever.

So - instead - you buy a repro for daily use - at a price insane more expensive than the original back in 1939.
Funny - isn't it?

aswatland

I do not wear my original Irvins on a daily basis. I have a repro fleece jackets to wear each day. My original Irvins , B-3s and A2s do not spend their lives shut indoors, but are worn from time to time very carefully.

Edward

Bartender
Just struck my mind:
During WWII these Irvins were mass-produced at a price as low as you could get them. The aircrews did not pay anything to get them.
Not in money at least. (There other price is something we can discuss later - or in another post)

If you - to day - are the happy owner of one of these historical jackets, you tend not to wear it, because of its originality, heritage and history.

So - instead - you buy a repro for daily use - at a price insane more expensive than the original back in 1939.
Funny - isn't it?

I suppose it's a lot like people paying big money for high-end jeans as well. I think a lot of the time what you're paying for is economies of scale (mass produced then, niche manufacture now), and expertise in not only reviving decades old patterns but manufacturing as well. It was also probably easier for them to make what was, essentially, "just a jacket" back then than to reproduce that jacket many years later. Then the market now is also so much more demanding, wanting somthing that will "last a lifetime" rather than an issued bit of gear that was unlikely to have been expected to last out more than a few years' use. Funny old world, though, I agree....

Otter

One Too Many
Gave the fleece an outing this morning as it was bleeping parky down our way. Confession time though, it was the D1 as I don't currently have an Irvin for the first time in about 25 years. My new regime has lost me about one waist size and one chest size, so I am afraid a lot of jackets had to go. Andrew had my B3 and my Irvin flew off to Germany.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Just struck my mind:

Funny - isn't it?

This sounds like the problem happening with the Movie industry making war films with original uniforms, Like those M-44 Jackets they used in Private Ryan that got full of holes and wrecked because it was cheaper to use original Wartime clothes than to buy Repro uniforms.

I have seen flight Jacket abuse in a movie recently...again, got me really going!

And to further your point about the cheapness of the Jackets given to RAF boys, I asked a real Veteran who was a spitfire pilot in the war what he did with his Sheepskin Irvin, and he said they all had to toss them into a huge heap after the war was over.

Those probly got re-sold even cheaper than they were bought, so back in the golden Days I guess if you were a post-war Biker you could get yourself an Irvin REAL cheap!

Deacon211

One Too Many
Just struck my mind:

Funny - isn't it?

Completely off the subject, but I dare say Spit, that that pic of you in your avatar borders on the iconic. Perhaps it's the forced nostalgia of the black and white. But it looks like you were born to wear that jacket. :thumb:

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I do not wear my original Irvins on a daily basis. I have a repro fleece jackets to wear each day. My original Irvins , B-3s and A2s do not spend their lives shut indoors, but are worn from time to time very carefully.

This pleases me.

(not Just the fact you look after yours) but also I find it amusing you mention *each day* is specifically Repro Day. LOL

If there were ten commandments of bomber Jackets..Thats like, gotta be up there man.

*Thou shalt be way more awesomer than everyone else everyday who like, does not wear thine bomber Jacket.*

and now a word from the book of Dumpster, revelations--

*Wear and tear my son* go fourth and be as Indiana Jones while he is dragged by a whip under a BMW Truck at speeds nearing 50MPH.

Cant be any day...cant be someday, its a solid scorched earth policy and its under the strong notion of; everyday is bomber Jacket day.

I may refer to you as a *heavy user* from now on! hahahah.

a man who truly Tucks them in at night then by my watch.

* Am smiling quite bemused and nodding*

Hard hard labour of love to maintain a vast collection of such severe magnitude is a task for more than one man, Im happy theres good people who understand flight jackets and their needs.

I can rest easy on your word.

P.s. Yeah, spitfire looks like he and his Irvin are made for eachother.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff