Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a jacket with thicker leather warmer than one with thinner?

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Supposing, for the sake of argument, that one was using a warm lining like alpaca. Would a jacket with 4oz leather be warmer than the same jacket with the same lining using 2oz?

BobJ

Practically Family
Oil stuffed leathers are not as insulating as drier leathers, as oil is wet [like water] and conducts cold. The trapped air between the leather fibers is what insulates.

So, therefore, a four ounce chromexcel leather might not keep you as warm as a lighter weight, drier leather. Which, by the way, also breathes better.

That being said, if you're comparing similarly tanned leathers, the thicker, heavier leather will keep you warmer.

Bob

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Leather jackets are windbreakers and not especially warm no matter how thick the leather. It's the lining or your layering underneath that keeps you warm. That said, if you live in a warmer climate, you may find that thicker leather is often uncomfortable to wear as it makes you sweat very quickly.

Capesofwrath

Practically Family
Oil stuffed leathers are not as insulating as drier leathers, as oil is wet [like water] and conducts cold. The trapped air between the leather fibers is what insulates.

So, therefore, a four ounce chromexcel leather might not keep you as warm as a lighter weight, drier leather. Which, by the way, also breathes better.

That being said, if you're comparing similarly tanned leathers, the thicker, heavier leather will keep you warmer.

Bob

I agree with this. I've always found Horween FQHH to be a poor insulator in cold weather.

As to the thicker leather being uncomfortable when it's warmer. Well yes it is. So therefore it must be warmer than thinner leather. Thick cowhide jackets I've had have certainly been warmer than thin A2 types even when both had thin drill linings.

Windward

Practically Family
Depends on what state they live in lol

I have seen here in Southamerica no sweaty cows/horses....:D
Oh, perhaps only when they be prepared for the asado (BBQ)

But I must admit that today I can only wear a shirt...!
We have today 40 degrees C / 104 F - and man, it's hot like hell!

Last edited:

garzo

One of the Regulars
I own a couple of FQHH Aero jackets, among others, and have to say that the warmest jacket I own, for cold winter temperatures, is my Schott 184SM, naked cowhide (with real custom mouton collar). It really does insulate better. The FQHH is great at keeping the cold in. I love them, but they're not good in sub-zero weather.

I own a couple of FQHH Aero jackets, among others, and have to say that the warmest jacket I own, for cold winter temperatures, is my Schott 184SM, naked cowhide (with real custom mouton collar). It really does insulate better. The FQHH is great at keeping the cold in. I love them, but they're not good in sub-zero weather.

I had one of those - but it also has a liner, correct?
That is what made the difference for me. And the collar.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
What I find is that leather is not very warm at all.... it is, as has been noted, a poor insulator. However, it can be wonderfully warming when used in combination with something that is since it's almost perfectly windproof.

reeks1

One of the Regulars
So if leather is such a crappy insulator, etc., how is it that Aero bills many of its models as "designed for harsh climates, winter wear", etc. Is that based on liners and collars? The descriptive of their half belt says exactly that ( or close to it).

reeks1

One of the Regulars
I find that aspect of these jackets to be quite awesome. Never did I think a leather jacket would be something to wear in the rain.
Learn something every day.....

HighandDry

A-List Customer
So if leather is such a crappy insulator, etc., how is it that Aero bills many of its models as "designed for harsh climates, winter wear", etc. Is that based on liners and collars? The descriptive of their half belt says exactly that ( or close to it).

If you ski, you know that nowadays most people ski with a windproof shell and layers undeneath. It's the windproof shell that allows you to be comfortable in very cold temps without looking like the Michellin man while skiing.

Leather is a terrible insulator, but windproof.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer

So, if you combine it with something that is not windproof but is a good insulator the weather beating properties are squared rather than simply added together, so to speak. An Aero with cotton drill lining combined with a chunky sweater will see off pretty dire weather indeed. It's mostly all about keeping your head, feet and hands warm after that.

reeks1

One of the Regulars
If you ski, you know that nowadays most people ski with a windproof shell and layers undeneath. It's the windproof shell that allows you to be comfortable in very cold temps without looking like the Michellin man while skiing.

Makes sense. I'm with you.

I have a few Barbour jackets that I would say work the same way.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy