Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is a jacket with thicker leather warmer than one with thinner?

garzo

One of the Regulars
And the oils stuffed into the hide at the tanning stage make them remarkably water resistant.

Aero FQHH jackets are great at repelling rain and they are warm enough for fall temperatures, say anywhere above 5 or 6 degrees celsius, but below that, for me anyway, they tend to get stiff and cold -- probably because of all the wax and oils in them. As far as keeping me dry and repelling rain though, they are great and much better than the naked cowhide Schott (with its zip-in liner of course), which is better at keeping me warm in colder temperatures, but useless in heavy rain because it soaks up water like a sponge (naked cowhide says it all). Having said that, I still wear my Aero FQHH jackets (including my beloved Highwayman and my lovely Bootlegger) out in freezing cold weather because they are so cool and I usually suffer the consequences of Berlin's dire winters as a result. I might have to start throwing a pea coat over them in the soon-to-be blizzard weather. And I am talking about zero weather here -- bottom 30s to 20s Fahrenheit!
Cold as a witch's you know what!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've never had this problem of the jacket stiffening up in the cold - I've just layered for warmth and it saw me through last winter without too much bother - but certainly so far this year I've reached for my Irvin when it's gone below 7C. Tighten the belt, put that collar up and yer bullet-proof!

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
If you ski, you know that nowadays most people ski with a windproof shell and layers undeneath. It's the windproof shell that allows you to be comfortable in very cold temps without looking like the Michellin man while skiing.

Leather is a terrible insulator, but windproof.

I probably should have said that a motorbike was involved. Thicker naked cowhide seems the ticket. I don't ride in the rain or if rain is predicted and thick HH is not a possibility, only 2 ounces. I was originally thinking Chromexel black (which looks really fantastic with a kind of glow to it). But if naked cowhide is warmer, so be it. And it wouldn't be a major problem; but I wasn't crazy about the way the color rubs off on things, especially light colors. I know it's necessary, but I don't want to have to think about it ever.

Last edited:
I've never had this problem of the jacket stiffening up in the cold - I've just layered for warmth and it saw me through last winter without too much bother - but certainly so far this year I've reached for my Irvin when it's gone below 7C. Tighten the belt, put that collar up and yer bullet-proof!

When I picked up the HDB in FQHH from Aero in 11/11, I went to Kelso where it was cold as hell and drizzly/snowy. That jacket was hard! But after three weeks in the UK and FR, it was much better. By the time I got home and gave it a couple hot showers, it was soft as butter. :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I went into the new Red Wings store in Soho, and the guy who runs it said he had a two-year-old Aero which was still stiff - to the point that it still pretty much stands up. He asked to have a go of mine and was surprised at how soft it was already, maybe he needs to work it a bit harder, [huh] but I didn't have the heart to suggest it might be steer or storse...;)

reeks1

One of the Regulars
Funny that Red Wing would open a shop in SoHo....Wait a minute. Which SoHo? London or NYC?

Either way, the resurgence of "heritage brands" is great. Who doesn't love great stuff that actually has a history?

apba1166

A-List Customer
Warmth, as said, is from the lining--I find quilted or thinsulate good, and sheep/wool of course. But storm cuffs or sleeves you can tighten and waist-tightening, as well as an easy neck closure all add a lot of warmth too. I think the thicker leather can sometimes be less warm if too rigid because it may leave a lot of holes, doesn't draw closed as tight at the waist or neck, all other things (lining, cuffs, etc) being equal.

garzo

One of the Regulars
I went into the new Red Wings store in Soho, and the guy who runs it said he had a two-year-old Aero which was still stiff - to the point that it still pretty much stands up. He asked to have a go of mine and was surprised at how soft it was already, maybe he needs to work it a bit harder, [huh] but I didn't have the heart to suggest it might be steer or storse...;)

I have a Highwayman in tumbled vintage FQHH that I love, but it's stll stiffer than my FQHH non-vintage, non-tumbled Bootlegger, which almost seems softer and more relaxed. I don't think my Vintage FQHH is "storse," but I do believe Aero's leather batches differ in consistency, and I don't mean that as a criticism. i've seen it with other jacket makers like Schott, Vanson and Fox Creek as well. Animal hides will vary in many different ways -- and that is not a bad thing -- that variety only adds to the character of the individual jacket and lends it individual strengths and advantages -- much in the same way differences in character enhance us all individually in terms of character and individuality.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Aero FQHH jackets are great at repelling rain and they are warm enough for fall temperatures, say anywhere above 5 or 6 degrees celsius, but below that, for me anyway, they tend to get stiff and cold

This is spot on.

I’ve lived in Arctic Norway twice and thick leather is not a problem until you drop below about -5 to -10 celsius. At this point if you are outside for any length of time thick leather will stiffen up, and quite noticeably once you start getting to -15 and below. Leather’s only really useful quality in sub-zero temperatures is as a windbreaker and truth be told in severely cold temperatures there are far better materials for coping with the cold. I used my leather jackets in Norway during the winter for short jaunts in the city but if I was going to be outside for any length of time in seriously cold temps (below -20) I wore a Bergans parka. There’s a reason why everybody inside the Arctic isn’t running around in leather jackets all the time ;) Saying that my Irvin was more useful as the leather is a lot thinner. All in all it’s not a major issue and not something you’ll have to worry about too much unless in live somewhere where it gets seriously cold.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Funny that Red Wing would open a shop in SoHo....Wait a minute. Which SoHo? London or NYC?

Either way, the resurgence of "heritage brands" is great. Who doesn't love great stuff that actually has a history?

Soho, London - the lower cased one, I think the name refers to a hunting cry, while the NY one is South of Houston. The RW shop is on Newburgh Street, just off Carnaby Street. It opened at the start of last month and they seem a decent bunch, though they appeared to be very keen on selling mink oil to anyone who walks through their door....

reeks1

One of the Regulars
Soho, London - the lower cased one, I think the name refers to a hunting cry, while the NY one is South of Houston. The RW shop is on Newburgh Street, just off Carnaby Street. It opened at the start of last month and they seem a decent bunch, though they appeared to be very keen on selling mink oil to anyone who walks through their door....

I figured it'd be the London one, what with you being from the UK and all. :) I wasn't able to get there when I was in London, but I spend a lot of time at our SoHo in NYC. Great section of town, but no Red Wing shop, afaik.

Anyway, I want my jacket!! Want to test these theories of warmth, etc. out myself!!

Peacoat

Bartender
I probably should have said that a motorbike was involved. Thicker naked cowhide seems the ticket. I don't ride in the rain or if rain is predicted and thick HH is not a possibility, only 2 ounces. I was originally thinking Chromexel black (which looks really fantastic with a kind of glow to it). But if naked cowhide is warmer, so be it. And it wouldn't be a major problem; but I wasn't crazy about the way the color rubs off on things, especially light colors. I know it's necessary, but I don't want to have to think about it ever.

Don't make your choice on the perceived warmth of one leather over another. As has been said many times, in this and other threads, leather just isn't warm. Warmth is derived from the shirt, vest or sweater worn underneath. Make your choice on what the leather is to be used for. In your situation it appears you will be wearing it while riding a motorbike. If you want it for protection, which you need on a motorbike just as on a motorcycle, you will need a minimum of 3 to 3.5 oz. leather, not 2 oz.

I realize you don't have much unexpected rain there in Santa Monica, but if you do get caught in the rain while wearing naked cow, there is a good chance your jacket will shrink. I was in a light rain once wearing Schott's Cafe Racer in naked cow. My sleeves shrank about an inch, from just right to almost too short. I am not a fan of naked cowhide.

andy b.

One of the Regulars
I have leather jackets from probably 2oz to over 5oz, and as others have said, the warmth is more determined by what is between your human skin, and the leather skin. The leather definitely acts as a great windbreaker, so if it is just a little chilly with a breeze, the leather can be quite warm with a thin lining.

Andy B.

Best thing I did was add an electric vest to my riding gear. If I want to wear leather, I use that and a t-shirt and it's warm and I'm flexible.
If it's total comfort and weather-aversion, I use the Cortech jacket/pants. Leather isn't as good at a downpour and/or wind, etc. Keep your torso dry and warm and your hands and legs and feet stay pretty warm too.
It gets deceptively cold here in SoCal. We get 30°s often in winter here and the local mountains are way colder. We camped in October and it was 17° at night.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
In your situation it appears you will be wearing it while riding a motorbike. If you want it for protection, which you need on a motorbike just as on a motorcycle, you will need a minimum of 3 to 3.5 oz. leather, not 2 oz.

Actually I have a Vespa and used to ride a Triumph Bonneville and before that a BSA (Beezer) 350. I call everything a motorbike, just like some people call everything a "scoot." I agree I wouldn't feel comfortable if I wasn't wearing something with some heft while riding. That said, if I really was worried about going down I wouldn't ride at all. I take Coumadin and bleeding is not what the doctor recommended. If I did go down wearing this jacket and emerged in one piece, I know exactly what I'd be feeling, "Why didn't you wear your (Vanson )Teton (with copious armor) you dumb sh*t."

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
Actually I have a Vespa and used to ride a Triumph Bonneville and before that a BSA (Beezer) 350. I call everything a motorbike, just like some people call everything a "scoot." I agree I wouldn't feel comfortable if I wasn't wearing something with some heft while riding. That said, if I really was worried about going down I wouldn't ride at all. I take Coumadin and bleeding is not what the doctor recommended. If I did go down wearing this jacket and emerged in one piece, I know exactly what I'd be feeling, "Why didn't you wear your (Vanson )Teton (with copious armor) you dumb sh*t."

Over here it is actually against the law to wear a black leather jacket and ride a Vespa. Obligatory, of course, on a Bonnie or Beezer ...but on a Vespa you are only allowed a parka or mohair suit.

IXL

One Too Many
Vespizzare, I ride wearing any leather jacket I fancy on any particular day and if more insulation is needed, I reach for the Patagonia Nano Puff jacket and use if for a liner under the leather. It works very well and will compress under just about anything.

cchgn

One of the Regulars
Leather on a bike is about road rash, not warmth. You want heavy leather, so it gets tore up, instead of your flesh.

If you want to hold out the elements, you'll be cozy and warm with rain gear.

I'll answer the OP with a simple yes, thicker leather IS more warm than thinner. The thing about warm and cold is simple perception. The temp you perceive. With thinner leather, you will feel the cold of the outside. The leather itself will be cold. With thicker leather, you probably won't. Then there's wind chill. Wind will make you feel a cooler temp than no wind. leather cuts the wind, thicker leather does it better. Of course, below freezing is a different story.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Vespizzare, I ride wearing any leather jacket I fancy on any particular day and if more insulation is needed, I reach for the Patagonia Nano Puff jacket and use if for a liner under the leather. It works very well and will compress under just about anything.

Thanks for caring. I actually have a Nanopuff that I got at your suggestion. I just want a nice, real warm leather jacket that I might occasionally use on the bike when I'm going someplace on a colder day and don't want to wear my armored Teton with two layers underneath, which makes me look like Ralphie in "A Christmas Story."

Peacoat

Bartender
Thanks for caring. I actually have a Nanopuff that I got at your suggestion. I just want a nice, real warm leather jacket that I might occasionally use on the bike when I'm going someplace on a colder day and don't want to wear my armored Teton with two layers underneath, which makes me look like Ralphie in "A Christmas Story."

Have you contacted Johnson Leathers? They have a good selection of 3 to 3.5 oz. leather they use in their motor officer jackets. The leather is supple and pretty much broken in out of the box. One of the linings (Thinsulate type) they will put in for you is relatively thin, but yet is warm. I can't imagine you would need anything more than that as you are in Santa Monica. I got a 3.5 oz. jacket with that liner for street wear as I like a heavier jacket for the motorcycle. I liked it so much, I got one of their very heavy jackets for the motor.

Be advised, though, that the jackets are built for guys in good physical shape with a V type body, and they are fitted pretty tightly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic