Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is it possible?! Is Willis & Geiger coming back?!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Just spotted this in the new Land's End catalog:

Willis & Geiger® Twill Shirts

175786_AE06_M1_TVY_M.jpg

As far as I can tell, it's the only thing that bears the Willis & Geiger name, but hey! it's a start!

Here's to hoping they bring back all the old Willis & Geiger stuff! :cheers1:

Baggers

Practically Family
Hmmm, any chance they might do one of the old W&G bush jacket styles I wonder?

I still have one from when I worked in one of their retail stores 15 years ago. Too bad it's a 40 and I'm now a 42. :eusa_doh:

Cheers!

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
I miss 'em, too. I wanted one of their canvas rucksacks, and when they went out of business the rucksacks were going for around $70 or $80. I ddn't get one since I was in grad school at the time and a little on the poor side. :eusa_doh: Now they go for around $300 on e-bay! That's what I really want them to bring back!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well, yeah, but

It's SEARS!

"The classic Hemingway Safari Jacket - updated for today in an easy-care Polyester blend and with no-fuss velcro fasteners..."

PASS! :p

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Matt Deckard said:
When Willis and Geiger was bought out by Land's End they still carried the shirt and pants. I think it's always been available. Whether they wil introduce other things... well they should.
Aww, drat. I never noticed it before. I thought maybe they were reacting to the surge in popularity of the safari look and were bringing it back a few items at a time.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
Aww, drat. I never noticed it before. I thought maybe they were reacting to the surge in popularity of the safari look and were bringing it back a few items at a time.

There's a surge in popularity of the safari look?! :eek:
Now everyone will be running around dressed like me.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike K. said:
There's a surge in popularity of the safari look?! :eek:
Now everyone will be running around dressed like me.
Well, perhaps not a "surge," but certainly an increase. I've noticed Ralph Lauren and a few others offering more of a field or safari look. No worries, though, Mike, I don't think anyone is going to duplicate your exact style! ;)

cap020.jpg

The Mad Hatter

A-List Customer
Lost World's claims that a lot of its hunting, safari - type stuff is essentially W&G.

I have never dealt with Lost Worlds and, frankly, have been scared off by some of the comments I have heard about them - but anyway, here's the info:

n the mid-80s LOST WORLDS began business as a mail order retailer featuring products from major, longtime hunting and safari outfitter WILLIS & GEIGER. When in the early 90s we followed our own direction, to become the preeminent manufacturer of Classic American Flight and Motorcycle Jackets, customers regularly suggested that at some point we make Safari and Hunting apparel to our own quality and functional specifications. The aforementioned previous supplier, in fact, came to us requesting that LOST WORLDS produce its leather outerwear line (but we respectfully declined).

Accordingly, our reissue of quality rugged and refined Safari and Hunting clothing is the newest "reexploration" of LOST WORLDS. Using a variety of fine Wools, 340 Bush Poplin Cotton, Military Quarpel Oxford and Nylon Broadcloths, we now make classic outdoors styles at our NY factory alongside our famous leather jackets. Typically, LOST WORLDS has reexamined some classic gear -- safari bush jackets and shirts, hunting jackets -- for fit and specification to address issues which have nettled customers through the years keen on this gear. Everything we've done is an upgrade, ranging from materials to components to construction. Where design and material permit, for example, interior seams are closed and double-needle chain-stitched on an ancient dreadnought of a Singer machine, dubbed The Spider owing to its unusual, ornate shape, dated pre-1920s. The original spirit, if anything, is revitalized and brought back to its roots by our attention and lack of compromise.

Our aim -- provide customers with rugged but impeccably tailored outdoor clothing whose mettle will be proven in the field but pedigree and elegance allow to be worn in less intense settings: the office, a restaurant. Each LOST WORLDS jacket or shirt is made at our own NYC factory by a single, highly skilled sewing machine operator. Flawless quality, precision stitching, closed seam construction wherever possible. These are fantastic, virtually bespoke garments available nowhere else.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Having looked at the Lost Worlds safari jackets, I have found that the 'Australian Bush Jacket' appears to be the same pattern as the Folkwear #130 (of the same name) that I am working on putting together. The Folkwear pattern states that it originally came from an old-style Banana Republic jacket donated by Patricia Ziegler. I don't seeing forking out several hundred dollars when I can custom make the same jacket for for about $25.
...just my two cents;)

Mike K.

One Too Many
Mojave Jack said:
Well, perhaps not a "surge," but certainly an increase. I've noticed Ralph Lauren and a few others offering more of a field or safari look. No worries, though, Mike, I don't think anyone is going to duplicate your exact style! ;)

Glad to hear that! For my actual style I try for something more along the lines of Redford's look in "Out of Africa." Hopefully the safari trend won't catch on too strongly.
IMG_3441_3.jpg

Speaking of which, I am still researching several domestic and African safaris for a possible FL get-together. I'll keep you all posted.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Mike, is that you in that photo? If so, I think that's the first photo of you I've seen. Is that a Winchester on your shoulder?! Good show!

I'm with you on the gear. I have two goals for my daily wear. First, it must be practical here in the desert, and second, it must be reasonably professional. I regularly go on animal calls, and may be catching rattlesnakes in the morning and attending meetings in the afternoon. The safari-style clothing works well because it looks sharp (I think!) but is still functional. For me it's not just that I like it, its a practical choice.

I

Ian Dundrillon

Bush jacket

It does not look like W&G will resurface anytime soon in a meaningful way.
I buried my last W&G jacket in 2005. I wish now I had cut out the label for
sentimental reasons. While I have always been a fan of bush clothing I can't
say that I am impressed with Lost World's pricey products. Personally, I think
the best buy around is the Safari Jacket from Cabelas for about $50 US. I have
one that I have had for more than 20 years and I recently bought two more.
Ian

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Mike K. said:
Actually, there's a much better mug of me posted on the "What do you look like" thread. But, yep that's me with a Purdey bush hat on my noggin and a Winchester .30-30 on the shoulder, deep in the swampy Florida backcountry.
Nice! If only it were a Purdey gun and a Winchester hat, then you could retire.....

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The corporate history tradition (ie: that there is no such thing) will no doubt keep W&G from ever resurrecting. It sold out to Lands' End which sold out to Kmart who are now a part of Sears. (I may have Sears and Kmart turned around here.)

Anyway, W&G is now a brand name buried 4 layers below ground that had a somewhat uncertain past to begin with. During their last hurrah as a high-end retro purveyor, they did get a little carried away with the PR - claiming, among other things, that they had the first A-2 contract without a scrap of evidence ever turning up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner