Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is my Eastman A2 way too small?

winterland1

Practically Family
If you do decide to sell and get a bigger jacket, measure every detail of that jacket.
Then you have a standard to go by. If you have a jacket that fits well get those measurements.
If you use these for future purchases you will get a lot closer from the get go.
If the seller doesn't list measurements make them measure.
Pit to pit. both sides sometimes.
Shoulders seam to seam
Arm length-shoulder seam to end of cuff
back length
front length

Plumbline

One Too Many
I'm with all the other replies re. comfort .. if you're comfortable in it ... then it fits. If not ... it doesn't !

Fit is such a subjective thing ( believe me I should know) some people like jackets a little looser than the 1940's cut .... others a little smaller .. more 1920's. I'd go for "feel" every time rather than rely on the opinion of ANYONE.

If you like it ... wear it ... if you don't ... move it and move on.

HTH

Comfort - #1.
It doesn't look bad at all from the pics, but YOU know if it feels too small.
Pits - the pits. That's my #1 issue, followed by sleeve length.
If it feels good, you're fine. There's no proper "look" except in the minds of the drones here lol

winterland1

Practically Family
your pics for everyone to see quicker.
FLA.JPG
fl1.jpg

eggleman

One of the Regulars
If you do decide to sell and get a bigger jacket, measure every detail of that jacket.
Then you have a standard to go by. If you have a jacket that fits well get those measurements.
If you use these for future purchases you will get a lot closer from the get go.
If the seller doesn't list measurements make them measure.
Pit to pit. both sides sometimes.
Shoulders seam to seam
Arm length-shoulder seam to end of cuff
back length
front length

great advice ..

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I dont think anyone is going to stop in the street point and laugh and say "look how small that guys jacket is".
Actually with current trends of short jackets and slim fits, its spot on! There are going to be a lot of jealous younger guys walking past....

It is probably a touch small but certainly nothing you cant live with if it is comfortable enough to wear. If you hadn't posted here asking and I saw you in the street I'd just assume you were going for the slim/modern fit look and doing it pretty damn well actually. It does look better in the second pic with the tucked shirt though. The untucked shirt does highlight it is a bit short.

In essence, if your going for the modern look, kept it. If your going for a classic look, maybe size up but don't dump/sell this one till you find a replacement.

Olaf G

New in Town
Thanks for all the response. Greatly appreciated.

A 42" probably would be better, yeah. I might try trade on here or sell it. I paid $700 for the jacket, what could I realistically expect if I decide to sell it?

The Eastman size advisor actually says I should wear a 46", but I'm pretty certain that I'd be swimming in such a big jacket.

Here is a picture of it zipped. I think it feels quite comfortably, but the sleeves is my biggest issue, and it usually is with all my garments. I had to send my Barbour Beaufort in to get it lengthened about 8cm...

6fCambGl.jpg

Edit: Oh, the picture is with the same denim as in the first shots. Haha...

Stand By

One Too Many
Comfort - #1.
It doesn't look bad at all from the pics, but YOU know if it feels too small.
Pits - the pits. That's my #1 issue, followed by sleeve length.
If it feels good, you're fine. There's no proper "look" except in the minds of the drones here lol

Hmm. I'm sorry but, with all due respect, I must beg to differ.
If the gentleman here was to stand in Gary's tent at RAF Duxford with that A2 on and said (as I have done) "Gary. What do you think?" I know he'd be told to pick out another of a larger size (as I was) - possibly even two in his case.
He is asking us what WE think judging from the photos he posted. And I know that, if I was asking, I'd want someone to tell me if I was wearing something that didn't suit me or looked too big or small on me, so that I could invest my money better next time (and these jackets take some saving for, let's not forget).

Comfort is important, absolutely, but there's a limited degree of latitude here when it comes to wearing an A2 properly - some like a more fitted A2 and that's fine, and others (like me) simply prefer something of a more blousier fit (but not "sloppy"). A jacket should complement the frame and, IMHO, this one does not in his case.
Respectfully, to say "if it feels good, you're fine" doesn't serve his interests, I don't think. The modern look for fellas these days is to wear their dress shirts pulled out and I'm sure they're all more comfy that way too, but to me, unless you're in a more equatorial climate (like FLA) and the shirt is of a certain tropical style, it just looks sloppy and uncouth IMHO.
Similarly, it's like wearing a striped tie with a striped shirt - it's a faux pas - and some you'll see on the TV wearing a pinstriped suit with that combo too! Sure, you can wear a shirt and tie and suit that way and I'm sure they're comfy and feel very modern and smart too - but it's dreadfully de riguer and doesn't look right and isn't how one wears a suit properly and it's not what style is about if anyone's asking. And he is.[huh]

To be fair to Butte, two posts later he said he thought the jacket was too small for the guy.
Yup. The first pic didn't look bad at all, but the others were totally different. Hence my update :) Also, I would not give a rat's arse what GE thought of my jacket and it's fit!

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I think you need to either go up to the next size and in a long fitting, or even go up two sizes in a regular fitting. But I'd email Gary the photos and see what he says. I've always found ELC to be very helpful.

Stand By

One Too Many
To be fair to Butte, two posts later he said he thought the jacket was too small for the guy.

Indeed, that's fair. I only noticed that (and a couple more posts) after I'd submitted my post. It took me a little while to compose that as I'm at work and only have a certain amount of time to loiter here ...
So fair do's.

wild_balls

Practically Family
Like we all know by now, there goes a lot of A2's to find the right one!!!
I think it's very rare to find out that the first one is the perfect one!!!

Cheers Joakim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic