Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is the B3 jacket "too much"?

Schwa

New in Town
First time post here, but I have had some good advice previously.

A few years ago, I decided to get a "bomber" jacket. I was put off by a lot of the knockoffs - with their garment leather straps and hand pockets (even though I often wish for them).

I found a RNNZ B3 on eBay in size 50 (I'm 6'1" and a bit portly). I paid ~$550 for it a few years ago, and it was basically new. It's dried out a bit over time, but some Pecars seems to keep it together.

I have a couple issues with the jacket.

The collar seems huge! Is the RMCNZ accurate, or was there some variation in the collar size?

The jacket is so warm, it seems there aren't many occasions where it's practical.

The B3 is a wonderful garment, but it's a bit over the top. I had a colleague tell me that I looked ridiculous in something like it - along the lines of a fancy fur coat.

I'm just wondering how some other B3 owners feel - it seems to make a statement - one that I'm not necessarily out to make. Do you think the collar is too big? Is it ever cold enough to break out the B3?

My B2 (also RMCNZ) hat seems like a logical compliment to the jacket, but that's another subject.

AIRCRAFTMECH

New in Town
Hi there, I've had mine for 16+ years and wear it all the time. I've got 2, both knockoffs with hand warmer pockets and I'm hoping some day to get a "Real" B-3. I just recently got a B-2 cap and wear it all the time too, I get plenty of compliments on both. Wear it!

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I wouldnt pay mind to whoever makes comments and remarks about your B-3 jacket IE:

*DUDE DID YOU LIKE...BOMB POLAND IN THAT THING!*

Those Idiots havent got a clue.

Ive Met people off the street Start Conversations with me asking if My B-3 was an Original from the war plenty of times.

The people who know, Well..they *KNOW* Thats the important thing and Its definetly a lot of older Guys who see my Jacket and get nostalgic!

It usually is met with positivity more than General Lack of insight.

If you like something, then you like it, thats all the opinion that counts.

As for it being *too much* I presume you mean Too much money! :D

The B-3 Is a magical thing, That is all you need to know.

Deacon211

One Too Many
I believe the collar size that you are concerned about is probably entirely accurate, though it does appear sometimes over large to modern eyes.

I have an Irvin and often also wonder if I'm not dressing a bit like a dandy in it. But, it's warm, comfortable, and reminds me of those who lived in more dangerous times and who's exploits should not be forgotten.

I also rather think that, as the jacket breaks in, it gradually looks less and less over the top as you don't look quite so much like you are being eaten by a teddy bear. Then I think the old "bomber jackets" begin to look more lived in and well loved.

At least that was my experience with my B-6 which didn't really look the part for about 4 or 5 seasons after I got it.

As for the heat part, only you can decide that. I have gotten quite a bit of wear out of my Irvin when the temps get down in the 20s and even the low 30s if I'm not doing something too active. Some feel like it's not worth even breaking out unless there are polar bears around. But I find it great to stroll around in on a raw day or sit and let the dogs run around warm and comfortable. (Edit: it's me that's comfortable, not the dogs...they already have their own fur coats)

I've even laid out in the hammock in the 40s and slept away the afternoon in it, so it really depends on the weather you have and the comfort level you get when wearing it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
To me it's pretty much unwearable. I have had mine for around 10 years and have probably worn it 20 times all together.
The last time was probably 3 years ago. Admittedly i am more sensitive to warmth than cold, but if it isn't at least -5c (23f) i can't wear it without sweating like a ba***rd.

So in short for me, unless you are someone who is very cold all the time, or live in a place where it gets very cold every winter, don't bother.

AS for the look, honestly i don't care, there are a lot of people wearing a lot of stupider looking things nowadays!

Last edited:

archbury918

One of the Regulars
You have a jacket that many on this forum can only hope to acquire someday. The RMNZ is one of the best constructed and accurate jackets out there...and to grab it for $550? Outstanding. It easily retails for over 3x that amount.
I have 4 repro and a few originals and treasure them all.

You didn't say where you live. I can only guess your 'over the top' comment refers to warmth? If that is the case, yes, this jacket is a heavyweight. By omitting a scarf or wearing a sweater (jumper) underneath can help regulate the heat factor.

The guy that felt he needed to belittle you likely has some style issues himself. I'd stand back and take a look at what he wears. Consider the source!
Don't let some dolt denegrate something he has little understanding or appreciation of.

These jackets are the epitome of what a jacket can be. Granted sheepskin isn't the taste for some, but bet more would take it off your hands than pass it by.

It is currently minus 11F here today, with a windchill of minus 24! You can bet a B-3 is my jacket of choice today. I will confidently brave the outdoors today as many others only wish they could be as toasty. I can tell you, there isn't a day goes by wearing mine, I don't receive more than one compliment over it.

Wear it with pride!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
To me, the likes of an Irvin and a B3 are effortlessly stylish. They're classic, utilitarian designs devoid of any 'fancy dress' element.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Like anything else. Own it. If you dont wear it, it ends up wearing you.
With that said its -26C out today so if anyone whats to sell me theirs. I wear a size 44-46 and I will rock that Bi*!h like its going out of style. ;)
Johnny

Stand By

One Too Many
I'll happily sing along with everyone from the same hymn book here - the collar on a B-3 is big. It just is. Or rather, was.
This is me in my ELC RW B-3 and I'm sure you'll find that this one is cut just like yours. It's the way they were.
And I love it.

ELCB-3#1.JPG

So I'll say the same thing: wear yours gladly and enjoy having something special like a RMNZ B-3 to wear.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
With a Minus 50 Gail force Wind Rushing through the FLak Holes in your Fuselage, youre gonna thank youre Lucky Stars someone Gave you that little Extra something something On your B-3 Collar...Buckle Down.

kowalski

Practically Family
Do you think the collar is too big?
Hi
big collar in B3 (and Irvin ) is beautiful detail in these jackets !!

I do not know how's about you country but in my country wind blows sometimes 80km\h and minus -15 C big collar is a treasure in such a situation hehe;)

Last edited:

bn1966

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Enjoy...I get silly comments (occasionally) from slobs attired in sportswear (that never sees any sporting action) when wearing my Irvin. I did own a Spitfire once but it had four wheels, no wings and was made by Triumph ;-D

kronos77

One of the Regulars
I think fewer people may be wearing heavy, warm clothing now than in years past. I noticed this change in my life. It has to due in most cases with technology and our lack of exposure to the elements.

Since moving into my current suburban house, I can get away with unseasonably light clothing. I go from my heated house to my attached garage, into my heated car, to the covered parking lot at the indoor mall where the temperature is nice and mild.

This is a huge change from when I was growing up in the city and walked along cold and windy streets to get everywhere.

The B3 is beautiful. The only consideration should be if it is practical for you.

Last edited:

tonypaj

Practically Family
My B-3 was too much for me. I live in the Alps region, and even here it was just way too warm. I gave it to my uncle, he lives in Finland. Better fit... The collar was not a problem at all, a bit flamboyant for the modern tastes, maybe, but it did not bother me. I was just hot in it, walking the dog, doing anything else except sitting (I guess that was what it was meant for) was a bit of a drag.

Now I have an Irvin. We'll see what this winter brings.

AdeeC

Practically Family
Not meaning to be disrespectful but wearing a B3 in size 50 can be an overpowering image to the uninitiated. There is a lot of sheepskin on show there. And it would exaggerate any surplus flesh. When I had my size 36 it did attract a lot attention and it also was bulky with a big collar. Even looking at old photos of mostly slim aircrews in B3's they look like big guys despite mostly wearing what now are considered small sizes.

Last edited:

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Well I've a pre-war Irvin size 50 that's probably just as big as yours. If not bigger. I only wear it in sub zero temps. It's going to be 9 degrees Fahrenheit tomorrow. I'll probably go with either my Pike Bros B-10 or my Aero Thunderbay and wool lined jeans. Irvin's just too bulky so I bought a D-1. Served me well today.

Worf

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
Worf,
The idea that an Irvin would be even too bulky for a day like today (weather will be in the teens) confirms that I need to look for another type of shearling jacket (which is exactly what you told me via PM). I don't want to buy a jacket that only gets a handful of wears each winter. Stay warm, buddy!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Worf,
The idea that an Irvin would be even too bulky for a day like today (weather will be in the teens) confirms that I need to look for another type of shearling jacket (which is exactly what you told me via PM). I don't want to buy a jacket that only gets a handful of wears each winter. Stay warm, buddy!

B3's and Irvin's can be "dashing" and if that's all you want it for then fine. If you want to wear it for comfort then a D-1, B-6 or other shearling lind jacket is your best bet. ANJ4's another good bet as well. I'm having one made by JC at GoodWear.

Worf

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I have to say, I had a good look at Aero's old Irvin design with the teddy bear shearling, but it was far too thick for my needs. The new one's fleece is lighter and more flexible, I would say probably similar in weight to the ones used by ELC and Aces High. I can wear mine in anything from 5C down, but I couldn't see the old teddy bear type, or a B-3 for that matter, getting pulled out for anything above 0C. But, yes, 'dashing' is a good word for it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran