Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there something you really want to wear but are chicken?

subject101

One of the Regulars
Someone complained to eBay that I wouldn't sell it to them, and they killed the listing, so I doused it in gasoline and burned it. I've always been very serious about trying to keep Axis items out of the hands of the skinhead southern redneck types

Well, the german equipment during wwII was totally amazing. There are plenty of enthusiasts that collect items and have no political implications.

Besides, there is somekind of hypocrisy because some items are morally right while many others are not. Nowadays, no body is going to call you nazi for owning a Walther ppk or driving an old VW Beatle. However, the field tunic, even de-nazified, is morally wrong. :)

draws

Practically Family
I'm good with most stuff. And by that, I mean a lot more than other people. But I don't know how comfortable I'd be in tails (first of all, I'm never invited to anything requiring white tie, or even black tie for that matter), or a top hat. I really want to wear a top hat, but I don't know how I'd even manage to find a way to pull it off.

Pince Nez for everyday wear. That's if I could find someone who could fill the Rx.
A monocle. At any time.
Carrying a walking stick. I'm too young to look normal carrying one... Maybe when I'm 40.
Wide brimmed Western hats. I look like an umbrella with a brim over 2 3/4".

Living in New Hampshire, I belong to The Commonwealth Vintage Dancers and often wear formal tails to our vintage balls (Tails Required). Living in Michigan offers you the opportunity to realize your dream by joining the following vintage dance group
http://www.vintagedance.com/ located in Ann Arbor. Participation insures that you must attend in White Tie and Tails, Top Hat, white gloves and other related attire.

Last edited:

The Good

Call Me a Cab
It may not be very popular, as to the tastes of the gentlemen here, but I wouldn't mind wearing a red, maroon, or burgundy sport coat. Something like this:

burgundy_mens_blazer.jpg

I've only ever noticed one person (outside of internet photos; in person) wear a maroon blazer, and that happened to be my political science professor on the last day of class. I think it could be sharp if worn well. I guess it's sort of a flamboyant style though, which is what's stopping me from considering it in the meantime, at least before I acquire the basic essentials (some conservative sport coats and a suit).

Last edited:

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
It may not be very popular, as to the tastes of the gentlemen here, but I wouldn't mind wearing a red, maroon, or burgundy sport coat. Something like this:

burgundy_mens_blazer.jpg

I've only ever noticed one person (outside of internet photos; in person) wear a maroon blazer, and that happened to be my political science professor on the last day of class. I think it could be sharp if worn well. I guess it's sort of a flamboyant style though.

I couldn't wear one of those. My brother's high school had a maroon jacket as part of the uniform (only for upperclassmen, underclassmen wore blue), so I can't think of it in any other way.

The Good

Call Me a Cab
I guess the trick is, to wear one of these, you have to look like you own the style completely, sort of pompous, maybe, or just confident and bold in general. I understand it's not an easy style to get down, and I can't really see a hat being part of the ensemble unless it's a matching color (but that would just bring on the pimp comments). On another note, I don't really like the actor, but I've seen a picture of Robert Pattinson (Twilight...) wearing one with a narrow tie, it looked OK.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I think that it would probably look best with a club stripe tie, or something like that. As to hats... I can see some grays working with it, but not all. Whatever oozes preppiness (old-school preppy) would probably work.

_RAGNAR_

One of the Regulars
Funny I’ve noticed on this board German stuff is somehow inherently evil and anyone that owns any is immediately suspect.

Then add massively offensive comments like “skinhead, southern, redneck types” that go completely unchecked and even unnoticed as offensive. Interesting attitudes towards both history and people.

shazzabanazza

Practically Family

burgundy_mens_blazer.jpg

I've only ever noticed one person (outside of internet photos; in person) wear a maroon blazer, and that happened to be my political science professor on the last day of class. I think it could be sharp if worn well. I guess it's sort of a flamboyant style though, which is what's stopping me from considering it in the meantime, at least before I acquire the basic essentials (some conservative sport coats and a suit).

I cant say Ive ever seen anyone wear a maroon blazer apart from at college. I quite like it because its something different.

Drappa

One Too Many
Wow. Do you also burn any type of clothing that may have been worn by Americans who were involved in Native American genocide?
I have '43 dot pattern tunic that I found paint splattered and faded in a lot I once bought. I use it for working on my cars.....so it's now greasy and grimy from schmutz. I had a feldgrau officer's uniform with it, that I de-nazified (removed badges) and ebayed expressely for museum or private collection, and required proof that the bidder was a museum or private collector. Someone complained to eBay that I wouldn't sell it to them, and they killed the listing, so I doused it in gasoline and burned it. I've always been very serious about trying to keep Axis items out of the hands of the skinhead southern redneck types

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Funny I’ve noticed on this board German stuff is somehow inherently evil and anyone that owns any is immediately suspect.

Then you have noticed incorrectly, or at least incompletely. There are quite a few here who collect German stuff. You will find them mostly in the WWII threads. Everyone is as neutral as can be. If there are people who have negative feelings about WWII Germans and/or their paraphernalia, they generally stay away or keep it to themselves. Either way, that period of history is a hot button and probably always will be.

Then add massively offensive comments like “skinhead, southern, redneck types” that go completely unchecked and even unnoticed as offensive. Interesting attitudes towards both history and people.

On this point, right here, I will agree with you. What was said was offensive, and maybe the writer was contacted, maybe not. But while you were criticizing the writer for essentially labeling everyone here, you have essentially done the same thing by generalizing. When you put all that criticism on everyone you diminish the valid point you are trying to make against this one writer/comment.

DCMark

New in Town
Re: Maroon sports coats. I can remember seeing older-men wearing these when I was growing-up in the south in the 'Sixties so I've always thought it was a distinguished look. Personally, I think a bow-tie would look good with it. But then, I'm weird that way.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is that a maroon blazer?
Tex_Avery_04_1024x768.jpg

I quite understand roadierfl and subject10 on the ww2 german thing. of course I wont wear anything like that. Not in public and not at home. I don't even wear breeches and never wanted to but then I saw our fellow lounger sproily who looks great in them.

I boycott sellers who have german SS stuff in their shops.it is not allowed to sell them in germany so they call them XX-Elite. Very clever...not. it was a problem when I wanted to buy this brown us army jump boots and looked for a shop who sells reproductions...

That beein said: Of course there are collectors who are alright. But as a seller you can't control if the things go to collectors or to neo nazis.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
This thread is moving in a dangerous direction that is inappropriate for this forum. I suggest this line of conversation be turned back to the thread's original intent - 'Is there something you really want to wear but are chicken?'

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I would love to wear bow ties but I don't think I could pull it off.

Yes you could. Get a real bowtie, one you tie yourself, and wear it. Everyone will be so impressed that you can tie it that they won't notice that it isn't normal. Also, wear it on Fridays. You can wear anything and pull it off on Fridays. Besides, Fridays are Bowtie Fridays.

fluteplayer07

One Too Many
Living in New Hampshire, I belong to The Commonwealth Vintage Dancers and often wear formal tails to our vintage balls (Tails Required). Living in Michigan offers you the opportunity to realize your dream by joining the following vintage dance group
http://www.vintagedance.com/ located in Ann Arbor. Participation insures that you must attend in White Tie and Tails, Top Hat, white gloves and other related attire.

I would join within seconds of obtaining a suitable jacket, if only my clumsy self was coordinated to hop on one foot, let alone dance in a formal dance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy