Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there something you really want to wear but are chicken?

Brooksie

One Too Many
jayem said:
A French royalty gown circa 1770 with the huge panniers and all.

I would LOVE that for a photo shoot! It would be great with a big white powdered wig and a heart shaped beauty marque on my face with a fan!!! Do you have a 1770 French royalty grown?

Brooksie

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Me too, like the ladies wore in the film Valmont! Uh, I think it would be really fun to do historical dancing in period costumes, like the minuet in that!

Brooksie said:
I would LOVE that for a photo shoot! It would be great with a big white powdered wig and a heart shaped beauty marque on my face with a fan!!! Do you have a 1770 French royalty gown?

Brooksie

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
chanteuseCarey said:
Not really. As someone who was once a professional hometown Clown that did gigs wearing a long curled bubble gum pink wig, wore a multicolored professional caliber Clown costume with 15" shoes, and did comedy whiteface makeup, usually performing to complete strangers- after that there isn't much I'd be chicken to wear.

You have dark secrets.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Howsabout a guy wearing a tutu while performing in front of hundreds of people?

We just had the Flying Karamazov Brothers out here perform with the California Pops Orchestra for two shows last weekend, and all four of the Brothers (who aren't Russian btw and aren't brothers either) did one bit wearing tulle tutus and pink leggings/tights! And since the wardrobe person they had arranged for flaked, I volunteered to steam press those tutus, and all of their other costumes...

cecil

A-List Customer
I wish I could wear colours. I just can't do it! I mean, I love black more than anything but every time I've tried to branch out and buy something in a colour (even if it's a colour that suits me) the item will maybe be worn outside the house once before it's banished to the back of the wardrobe.

My latest attempt is a lovely 40s-inspired YSL blouse-thing in beige with big lapels and big black buttons. I've worn it once and got heaps of compliments but I still felt really self-conscious wearing it. Weird.

Lillemor

One Too Many
A full skirted ball gown. I don't have the occassion, the money or the height but I still want to wear one. I've outgrown the EGL style before I really got into it but I still think the Victorian Maiden styles look nice and would like to wear a complete ensemble.

Foofoogal

Banned
Lillemor: If that is you in your avatar you are very beautiful and would look smashing in one.
I think an emerald green one would look great. lol

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
avedwards said:
Tweed jackets. For some reason I find that I can get away with vintage looking suits which are blue, grey, black or pinstripe but not tweeds. Possibly because they are associated with old people in England, whereas other vintage suits (like pinstripe) are not because they aren't usually worn by older people.

Older People ? :eek: That's irony for ya! I'm a Boomer. I've always liked to wear tweed sport coats. I've always considered them very versatile. On the other hand most of my life I've wanted to wear fedoras, but never did until the last few years! Why? Old People! Only old guys wore fedoras. But now, most of them have passed on to their reward, and I don't feel self conscious about it any more. Sad to say, I'm now closer in age to being an old guy :eek: rather than a young stud. That's just Life!

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
cecil said:
I wish I could wear colours. I just can't do it! I mean, I love black more than anything but every time I've tried to branch out and buy something in a colour (even if it's a colour that suits me) the item will maybe be worn outside the house once before it's banished to the back of the wardrobe.

My latest attempt is a lovely 40s-inspired YSL blouse-thing in beige with big lapels and big black buttons. I've worn it once and got heaps of compliments but I still felt really self-conscious wearing it. Weird.

Here's the thread for you (start looking at it around p. 5)

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=1797

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
I feel I'm making progress. I bought my first pair of brogues yesterday, and I've closed the deal on my first bowler. Both items I had previously avoided as being too flashy/unusual.

djhatman

One of the Regulars
Not so much something to wear but I would love to add a cane or swager stick to my outfits. I just would be to self aware and not able to pull it off.:(

jayem

A-List Customer
Brooksie said:
I would LOVE that for a photo shoot! It would be great with a big white powdered wig and a heart shaped beauty marque on my face with a fan!!! Do you have a 1770 French royalty grown?

Brooksie

No, but I did find a wonderful website of women who sew... and wear out in public (mostly to teas and conventions and other group outings) these lovely gowns. I'll revise the post and post the link in a second when I can find it.

http://bauhausfrau.livejournal.com/

I did, on one hand, wear a skimpier version last Halloween of a dead Marie Antoinette.

marie2.jpg

marie1.jpg

priestyboy

One of the Regulars
Brooksie said:
I can't really think of anything I would be to chicken to wear plus I live in Portland, Oregon and our city's moto is "Keep Portland Weird" - I have worn somethings that have been a little different now and again and I will hardly even get a glance.

Really? Well, I'm in Olympia so I guess I better head that way!

Edward

Bartender
I'm not sure that there's anything I won't wear.... that's what years of rocky Horror does for ya, I guess - I've travelled on public transport as Dr Frank'n'Furter often enough that I'm pretty shameless by now. The corset and sussie are no biggie - I'm only slightly careful of the fur stole. I'm not a fur person otherwise, bit I am very anal about getting the details just right on a costume, where at all possible. It's an antique piece, probably 30s or 40s, and I'd hate to have it ruined by red paint.

I would love to have a zoot... wouldn't have a problem wearing it out, the only snag would be I don't think there are all that many occasions I would find it appropriate, so not a priority for now. I have in the past year orf so claimed the Teddy Boy look, finally. Hated it for years until I discovered that what I hated was actually a ridiculous Showaddywaddy parody of the look - the real thing is very sharp.

There are plenty of things I wouldn't be seen dead in, but noting really I'd love to wear but wouldn't dare. [huh]

Macheath said:
Shangas, I'm 5'6" as well, and I wear one when it's cold/raining. I don't think it's any less appropriate on me than it is on a chap that's 6 foot tall.

If heignt is a worry, I'd suggest maybe thing about having the tench taken up an inch or two. Bogie wasn'tg the tallest of men either: if you look closely at his Burberry(?) in Casablanca, you'll see it has been taken up to just on the knee, creating the illusion of greater height.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
djhatman said:
Not so much something to wear but I would love to add a cane or swager stick to my outfits. I just would be to self aware and not able to pull it off.:(

Not quite the same thing, but due to my poor eyesight, I sometimes carry a white cane with me everywhere I go at night. You'd be surprised how quickly the self-conciousness of carrying a cane wears off. Within two days I felt totally normal.

Warbaby

One Too Many
djhatman said:

Get a cane or walking stick you like and start carrying it in spite of your initial self-consciousness. Start with something not too flashy like a briar. After a few days (or weeks) it will feel perfectly natural. I use one frequently and am quite comfortable with it.

Walking sticks have many handy uses - excellent for poking and whacking your way along a busy street or through a crowd, indispensible for an impromptu tap dance, and if you feign a bit of a limp you can get early boarding on airlines.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80