Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is there such thing as a moth proof / cat proof / travel proof garment bags for coats

JLStorm

Practically Family
I have a closet just for my coats. However, every now and then someone accidentally opens it a crack and one of the cats squeeze in. One time one of my cats got trapped in there for about 24 hours and climbed up my coats to try and escape, then urinated on the coats that he manager to knock down during his various escape attempts. Even after that ordeal, the same cat constantly attempts to get back into the closet. The coats were ruined by claw marks and tears in the nylon and leather as well as some ruined by cat urine.

Now that I am replacing my destroyed coats with nice quality leather coats, I would really like to buy garment bags for them that could hang in the closet to deter moths and protect against cat claws. It would be nice if the protective bags could be used for travel, but its not required.

Is there anything out there that would fit the bill? Its a sliding door closet and I havent been able to find a lock that would work, I'm thinking of trying to fabricate something, but I would prefer this method as moths could still get in with a lock and cats can still sneak in when I'm not looking.

Any ideas?

Creeping Past

One Too Many
Cats

Not sure how the sliding doors might be dealt with. Keep looking for a secure lock...

But I know about cats. Unless you thoroughly and completely remove all traces of their urine, they'll keep going back to it. As you'll know, cats tend not to learn by threats/encouragement, so unless you can deep clean the storage space, your only alternative is to keep them away from the area in question all the time.

Too many garment bags out there to recommend one. I use various types, mostly acquired free with clothes, found or otherwise obtained.

There's a moth sticky in the "Suits" section.

Eyemo

Practically Family
You can get plastic bags that you can (using a vacum and not your lungs) suck the air out of. Place garment(s) in bag seal apply vacume cleaner and suck air out of.. No moths, protected from cat pee reusable and fresh..Garments may need a bit of ironing though
Hope this helps.

JLStorm

Practically Family
I meant actually for my good leather coats, not linen garments.

As far as the cats, actually Ive moved since this incident, so its a new closet, but still the same issues with the sliding doors. He has gotten in there twice, but I have gotten him out both times fairly quickly. He is a sneaky little devil. For now, I have a pretty fool proof method that I use, but since the closet is in the guest room, when family stays over...it can be an issue.

Naphtali

Practically Family
There is a quotation from Joseph Stalin that may be appropriately analogous: When there is a person, there is a problem. No person, no problem.

How important are cats in your life?

JLStorm

Practically Family
Naphtali said:
There is a quotation from Joseph Stalin that may be appropriately analogous: When there is a person, there is a problem. No person, no problem.

How important are cats in your life?

Too important to get rid of, thats for sure.

I did find childproof locks for sliding doors that will be able to keep the cats out. I also saw a bunch different heavy canvas garment bags online that can protect the coats while hanging in the closed from the chance of a cat slipping in. That still leaves me with the moth problem. I have never had moths, nor have I seen any of my wool eaten, but Id rather be safe than sorry. I tried using cedar blocks, but the smell didnt last very long at all and I hate the smell of moth balls, are there any other options?

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JLStorm said:
Too important to get rid of, thats for sure.
Ah, I was going to suggest a dog.

A friend had trouble with his cat because it liked to sleep on
his computer monitor (a big old CRT) and printer. They were warm.
He made a loop of duct tape and put it on the top of each device.
No more cat.

You might consider making the floor inhospitable.

JLStorm

Practically Family
feltfan said:
Ah, I was going to suggest a dog.

A friend had trouble with his cat because it liked to sleep on
his computer monitor (a big old CRT) and printer. They were warm.
He made a loop of duct tape and put it on the top of each device.
No more cat.

You might consider making the floor inhospitable.

Its all wood flooring. In our apartment we did the use double sided tape, but it really destroyed the wood, I dont want to do that in the house. We will be getting a dog in the next year or so too though, but that will probably just give the cats more incentive to get into the closet to get away from the dog

This is supposed to work.

You get a package of party balloons and blow them up until they are just about ready to pop. Engage the cats in play with these ballons so the cats pop them! The cats will get scared of the balloons and the loud pop will be remembered. Then place some ballons in the closet or just in front of the closet. They may then associate the balloons and bad noise with the closet and stay away.

Also if they are hiding from the dog, see if it is possible to give/make them alternate hiding spots.

If not buy an electric cattle prod and shock them in the closet weekly, they may learn to avoid the closet, or The House of Pain as they'll remember it.

Edward

Bartender
Cats are sneaky little devils alright, and they just love to climb into dark spaces that they can nose around in. If the Big Cat doesn't want them in there, that just makes it all the more enticing. I speak from long experience. lol

There are a few things mentioned above.... keeping a plant mister handy and full of water will have a similar effect to the prod (without any pain for the cat). The other thing you can employ is an aerosol air freshener type product: keep the closet (or whatever you want to keep kitty out of) smelling of citrus, in particular lemon, and they will generally stay right out of there.

JLStorm

Practically Family
Edward said:
Cats are sneaky little devils alright, and they just love to climb into dark spaces that they can nose around in. If the Big Cat doesn't want them in there, that just makes it all the more enticing. I speak from long experience. lol

There are a few things mentioned above.... keeping a plant mister handy and full of water will have a similar effect to the prod (without any pain for the cat). The other thing you can employ is an aerosol air freshener type product: keep the closet (or whatever you want to keep kitty out of) smelling of citrus, in particular lemon, and they will generally stay right out of there.

Will those citrus air fresheners harm the leather in any way?

I have also seen these for sale, I was thinking they could protect against moths and claws.

http://www.homestoragewarehouse.com/product_info.php?products_id=914

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy