Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a faux pas?

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
But no one should demand or expect someone to buy a new dress for each occasion, unless they want to pony up the money and buy you the new dress.

That's what I told an ex-boyfriend of mine when he made that demand. As far as I was (and still am) concerned, that Bettie Page dress cost me a lot of money and I like wearing it. I've worn it to many events before, and I plan to again in the future.

To the OP: Whether its a boyfriend or a co-worker saying it, its pretentious and snotty. Let her max out her credit card for a dress that won't look half as nice as yours. :)

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
Thank you all! I was stunned when she said it was a faux-pas. I love my dress, feel comfortable and pretty in it, and now plan to wear it with my head held high. Have also convinced another coworker that she doesn't need to rush out and buy something just for the occasion.

ThePowderKeg

One of the Regulars
Of course I'll post pictures of me wearing the dress. The event isn't until Tuesday night, so photos probaby won't show up here until Wednesday at the earliest. The dress is not vintage, but has a nice vintage style...you'll see it soon, I promise!

betty amazing

New in Town
Not at all! We don't all have the cash to splash out on a new purchase per every occasion - some people turn up their noses at homemade outfits to wear at formal occasions, too, which I find very bizarre. Surely to make something is more effort than buying a gown? At least you know that nobody else will be wearing the same! xx

Veronica

New in Town
Elegance is not proving how wealthy your are by showing one-time dresses. Elegance is choosing the right dress for you for this event, maybe already worn, but who can judge it if this dress is PERFECT for you ?
Simplicity, style and smile ^^

Black Dahlia

Call Me a Cab
Definitely not a faux-pas, how ridiculous! I wear my favourite dresses as often as I can. I just change it up with different accessories, shoes, etc.

Can't wait to see pics of the dress!

X
BD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner