Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is this a Filson?

Jingo Mastapone

Familiar Face
My fantastic girlfriend gave me this coat for Christmas, having found it at a thrift store. There are no tags in it but the union tag in the lower right front pocket. It looks like there was a tag in the usual spot under the collar but now all that's left is the stitching that would have held it in place.

It looks like a Filson to my untrained eye but could it be some other brand with a similar design? Also, can anyone date it from the faded union tag?

coat1.jpg

coat2.jpg

coat3.jpg

Edw8ri

Familiar Face
The Filson Double Mackinaw Cruiser has changed over the years, and you may have one. But I think that it is more likely an attempt to copy the Filson. It looks like a nice coat, and probably more well made than anything you would buy today.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It could really be anything. There were a lot of Mackinaws made by a lot of companies. Does it appear to have originally had a liner?

Jingo Mastapone

Familiar Face
No, it doesn't seem to have had a liner. The cuffs are lined but it ends there. The metal snaps do not have any kind of stamp on them. In my brief research I've seen that Filsons had their name on the snaps but I suppose that could have been one of the things that changed over the years.

One characteristic of this jacket that seems unlike any Filsons I've seen is the collar shape. It has that smooth, curved transition from the front edge rather than any kind of notch, which is what Filsons seem to have. Hmmm.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I really can't say. But from looking at it and my knowledge of vintage in general, I think that it can be pinned down fairly easily by those in the know. The style, cut, and details of this jacket are such that one who knows or can compare, will be able to nail it down pretty easily. That is my speculation anyway.

gfirob

Familiar Face
I have a Filson Cape jacket that is very similar, but it has snaps rather than buttons. And older version maybe? Or perhaps a copy. Very similar.
Rob

pipvh

Practically Family
I want to say Pendleton or Woolrich - I've never seen that plaid used by Filson (I've seen a lot of vintage wool coats, but in New England, so admittedly not many Filsons there). Has the collar by any chance been modified? Johnson Woolen Mills still make a hunting coat with a fold-over hood, and it occurs to me that if you cut off the hood bit, you'd be left with something very much like your collar...

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
Cool looking jacket but it doesn't look like any Filson I've seen and I believe they have always had Filson in some form or another stamped into the snaps. My 40's jacket and my newer ones do. But a keeper at any rate.:eusa_clap

HDRnR

A-List Customer
Does not look like the Filson plaid pattern, the collar reminds me more of a Woolrich. Nice coat tho.

Alexi

One of the Regulars
one of my old coworkers had a filson cap in that plaid, so we can't disconnect the possibility by the plaid. It does however look more like a woolrich to my eyes

HDRnR

A-List Customer
I actually have a pretty old Filson double mackinaw and the plaid is the same as a modern one. The plaid on this coat sort of reminds me of this plaid that Lost Worlds has http://www.lostworldsinc.com/Lost_Worlds_Limited_Edition_Jackets.htm

if you scroll down you'll see it.

Also just looked at a catalog from last year and they have a copy of an old catalog picture from 1914 and the plaid looks the same as the modern. Its that "big" plaid pattern and not the more intricate plaid in the OP's pics. I'd love to find a Filson in that plaid tho, would be very rare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic