Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Is Tom Cruise finished?

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Ha. Tom Cruise. I couldn't care less. I've been seeing this thread every day, and wondering, "Is this thread about Tom Cruise's career finished?" I guess not. Please don't get the idea I'm suggesting anybody stop whipping this dead horse. ;)

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Yeah... Dectective... Like a lot of bad things it started out innocent enough... Then the thing took on a life of its own... Pretty soon shots were ringing out all over the place... In the end... he wound up dead on the floor with 4 or 5 guys kickin' his dead corpse...

Worf

Atomic Age

Practically Family
Well lets see.

Jack Reacher made $216 million.

Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol made $694 million.

Oblivion has made $244 million.

So his last 3 films have made over a billion dollars.

He is just about to start a new franchise with a Man from U.N.C.L.E. film. Cruise is FAR from finished, being one of the top boxoffice draws in the world.

Doug

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Well lets see.

Please! Don't interrupt this witch hunt with facts.

:p

I just read (please don't ask me to vouch for its veracity) that at one time Liberace could claim to be the best-paid performer on the planet.

I can only hope that we need not explain how that (perhaps dubious) "fact" relates to the topic at hand.

I'm not arguing that the guy is "finished" at all. I wouldn't know and I wouldn't care. I pay little mind to most popular entertainments. But his box office draw is but one of the topics under discussion here.

Liberace made lots of money. Tom Cruise makes lots of money. Both have/had lots of appeal to lots of people. But observing that popularity doesn't translate into artistic merit is hardly a "witch hunt."

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
observing that popularity doesn't translate into artistic merit is hardly a "witch hunt."
The OP asked if Cruise was finished. Clearly he is not. One's opinion of his talent or his personal views is superfluous, more suited for a thread titled, "Is Tom Cruise Talented?" or "Is Tom Cruise Intelligent?". Maybe you should start one of those threads or one on Liberace.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The OP asked if Cruise was finished. Clearly he is not. One's opinion of his talent or his personal views is superfluous, more suited for a thread titled, "Is Tom Cruise Talented?" or "Is Tom Cruise Intelligent?". Maybe you should start one of those threads or one on Liberace.

Touche'!! Excellent parry! -dixon cannon

And maybe you shouldn't be a self-appointed bartender.

Just curious ...

Did you used to go by another name around here? You kinda remind me of someone.

And by the way ...

I don't recall offering an opinion of his talent or his personal views. I mentioned that I never did fathom his appeal, and that was on account of most of his movies belong the sort that have little appeal to me. Frankly, I don't know enough about popular movies to have an opinion of them worth much to anybody.

I do recall another poster in this thread mentioning something about an old military aircraft Mr. Cruise owns. That, by Mr. Lyles's preferred rules, would seem to have no place in this thread, either, what with it being superfluous to the topic at hand and all. Fortunately, it seems that few of us subscribe to Mr. Lyles's preferred rules.

Last edited:

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Well lets see.

He is just about to start a new franchise with a Man from U.N.C.L.E. film. Cruise is FAR from finished, being one of the top boxoffice draws in the world.

Doug

Agreed.

I believe that the above posting belongs, however, in another thread, to wit:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?56940-The-general-decline-in-standards-today

O2BSwank

One of the Regulars
I think that Cruise for the most part always plays Tom Cruise action hero. That's fine. I will watch one of his movies for the action. not the artistry. Perhaps as he ages more and his star begins to lose some of it's luster he will decide to step out of his comfort zone and extend himself as an actor. Many have done that.

And by the way ...I don't recall offering an opinion of his talent or his personal views. I mentioned that I never did fathom his appeal, and that was on account of most of his movies belong the sort that have little appeal to me. Frankly, I don't know enough about popular movies to have an opinion of them worth much to anybody.I do recall another poster in this thread mentioning something about an old military aircraft Mr. Cruise owns. That, by Mr. Lyles's preferred rules, would seem to have no place in this thread, either, what with it being superfluous to the topic at hand and all. Fortunately, it seems that few of us subscribe to Mr. Lyles's preferred rules.
He tends to do that. Ignore.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
He tends to do that.

269240_625683504115683_1078910585_n.jpg

One has only to peruse the Steve Jobs thread to see your attempt to censor other members.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Okay.. okay... mebbe he's not in a state of rigor mortis.. but I still don't think he's a guaranteed "draw". As for the box-office figures... You left out the other shoe... how much did they cost to make AND how much was he paid to make em... You subtract one from the other then we'll see if'n he's finished or not. Not throwing stones jest askin'....

Worf

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
And maybe you shouldn't be a self-appointed bartender.

Just curious ...

Did you used to go by another name around here? You kinda remind me of someone.
Maybe it's Tom Cruise incognito?
But as to the matter at hand here,...is he washed up?,...probably not just yet unfortunately. I will admit he's been in a few good movies, Valkyrie for example, and a handful of others. But maybe that's more a matter of his just being in the right place at the right time, and knowing the right connections via his agent? Or maybe there's something to all that Dyanetics thing after all?? :laugh:

269240_625683504115683_1078910585_n.jpg
One has only to peruse the Steve Jobs thread to see your attempt to censor other members.
Every now and then, sure. Some things tend to spiral. I generally use the "report" button for others to handle. You, OTOH, are a regular source of scolding. I like AC though, he's the only one crankier than me here...

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80