Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ISO low heeled shoes?

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
I've given up looking on ebay for vintage low heeled shoes. Can anyone recommend a good substitute? My saddle shoes are getting worn out and I need something new.

Leading Edge

One of the Regulars
Me too!

kamikat said:
I've given up looking on ebay for vintage low heeled shoes. Can anyone recommend a good substitute? My saddle shoes are getting worn out and I need something new.

Good question.
Since I have refused to wear high heels for most of my life, I been looking for good low heeled shoes a loooong time - mostly unsuccessfully. I never thought of eBay though. I am never quite sure what people envision when they use the term "vintage" (saddle shoe is a big help there) so I offer the following with some trepidation.

The Earth Shoe (too pricey for me, but I bought a pair once; probably on sale) has some that are styled as classic Mary Janes and t-strap pumps. One of the problems I have found is that many of the good low-heel shoes like Mephisto (also too pricey for me, but I treated myself out of a tax refund once) are European sized. I have trouble getting a good fit, but you may be more successful.

I will be interested in what others have found because my feet and I are really, really disenchanted with constantly wearing the running shoe sneaker type shoe.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I *strongly* endorse the Clinic Coquettes -- they are the most comfortable shoes I've ever owned, and they're impeccably vintage in their style. Good for walkin', good for workin', and they've even got real arch support. I'm wearing mine right now -- having just gotten home from work, where I spent seven hours on my feet, and they feel just fine.

rubyredlocks

Practically Family
I used to wear those GGG.Usually,I would buy them a bit big and then purchase insoles at the drugstore.Worked like a charm.

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
What about vintage tap shoes? I had found a pair of black ones from the 40s at a thrift store for $4. The heels are usually low (and comfy to dance in) and the style of the shoes are really cute. You should be able to find some on ebay too. Most people sell them for pretty cheap (because of the taps I imagine). I was able to remove the taps myself or you could always take them into a shoe shop to remove.

ssubialdea

One of the Regulars
Like these:

tap1.jpg

Or mine are more like these:

tap2.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
ssubialdea said:

All good ideas, ladies! Thanks! Those clinic shoes are really nice, perhaps after a couple side jobs, I could get those.

I didn't even think of loafers. I have a brown pair, but never wear them with dresses.

I think I might even have a pair of those tap shoes somewhere in the back of my closet. I took tap for many years, even into early adulthood. I've always planned to go back to it once the kids were in all-day school.

timorous me

Familiar Face
rubyredlocks said:
I used to wear those GGG.Usually,I would buy them a bit big and then purchase insoles at the drugstore.Worked like a charm.

Absolutely. I LIVE in my china flats, but recently they've been awful on my feet/back/knees - I have rheumatoid arthritis, so it's not hard to get achy!

Recently I invested in a couple of pairs of Dr Scholls insoles... not the "I'm Gellin'" kind, mind you. They're specifically for flat shoes without arch support, they have a hard plastic arch covered with padding and a pillowy little cup for your heel. THEY ARE AMAZING. They're thin enough to slip into any pair of shoes, even china flats.

Other than that, I too am on the hunt for some good comfy shoes!

SarahLouise

Practically Family
timorous me said:
Absolutely. I LIVE in my china flats, but recently they've been awful on my feet/back/knees - I have rheumatoid arthritis, so it's not hard to get achy!

Recently I invested in a couple of pairs of Dr Scholls insoles... not the "I'm Gellin'" kind, mind you. They're specifically for flat shoes without arch support, they have a hard plastic arch covered with padding and a pillowy little cup for your heel. THEY ARE AMAZING. They're thin enough to slip into any pair of shoes, even china flats.

I really need some of those Dr Scholls insoles! I wear ballet flats regularly and have put normal insoles in all of them but these ones you're talking about, designed specifically for flat shoes, sound brilliant! Wherabouts did you buy them? I don't think I've ever seen them around.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
timorous me said:

These? If so Ive been meaning to try these!
LD

Lovely Leah

Familiar Face
leaette said:
why do these shoes have to cost so much!!??
I want all of the ones that have been posted here. :(
Hi Leaette, Clinic shoes are expensive, but incredibly well made and comfortable. They're worth every penny. I wore an oxford made by them. It was discontinued a while back, but I got them at a closeout sale.

Check out the "Trinket" by P.W. Minor on the same site, I wear that one now. I wish there were more colors than just black. This shoe is very supportive.

timorous me

Familiar Face
Lady Day said:

These? If so Ive been meaning to try these!
LD

Actually, these are the ones I bought:
343661.jpg

Those other ones looked really comfy, but harder to fit into super-flat shoes.

These are very, very thin - maybe 1/2 inch at the thickest part, and it thins out to nothing just before the ball of your foot, but my lord are they comfy! They make all the difference... and they are MUCH better for super flat shoes like ballet or china flats than the regular "For Her" insoles, as they have a thin slip of plastic on the underside to create an arch and the heel is slightly elevated.

In the week that I've started wearing these insoles (keeping in mind that I 1: LIVE in china flats, and 2: have a joint disease), my feet and knees and back feel AMAZING, much better aligned and generally less jammed up.

Walgreens.com is selling them for $10.99 per pair, but I found mine at my local supermarket for like seven bucks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany