Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

It's here - Akubra Campdraft (Sand)

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Finally! My new Akubra Campdraft, size 63 (7 7/8) in Sand, has arrived! I ordered it from the always fantastic folks at Hats Direct in Katoomba a few months ago, but there were none in this size and color, so it had to be made. After finally getting it today, I have to say it was worth the wait. For the uninitiated, the Campdraft is the Stetson Open Road. Previously, Akubra made Open Roads under license, but after that deal expired they kept making the hat under the Campdraft name. It is sold unshaped, like vintage Open Roads (the modern ones from Stetson come pre-shaped in a cattleman crease). I think I've found a new favorite hat. I just looooooove this hat. After styling it (classic C-crown and snap brim), I just adore the way it looks. I love the thin ribbon, the bound edge, the classic shape. For those curious about such things, not only is there no taper, but after shaping it there's actually a hint of reverse taper in the front view. I also love the Sand color - goes with just about anything. She's a beaut!

A few shots - here it is, fresh from the box:

675315654_0416910fa9_o.jpg

674453747_4906e7dd80_o.jpg

Lovin' the script:
675316716_cbdeb25810_o.jpg

674455065_94a89d64d8_o.jpg

After some shaping - completely dry shaped, no water or steam:

674456245_f294a542f0_o.jpg

675319048_f7ff5bd998_o.jpg

674457625_1e49136ef8_o.jpg

675320412_dfcbcef9db_o.jpg

674459291_4941feaf95_o.jpg

Blurry self-portrait in building lobby mirror (wearing a classic-styled loop collar shirt and cotton/wool Bill's Khakis):

675360860_98ebf55133_o.jpg

A

Ande1963

Man, I love that hat! I just e-mailed Hats Direct. Didn't see it listed on the site.

Anj

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Ande1963 said:
Man, I love that hat! I just e-mailed Hats Direct. Didn't see it listed on the site.

Anj

That's what you have to do - it's not listed on the site, but they do sell them. They're available in Sand (which is pretty well Silverbelly), Taupe Fawn, Mid Brown, Black (I think), and Bluegrass Green.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
Fantastic hat! :eusa_clap
Every time I see one of these, I want one. :)

Thanks, Hem! I had that strong want as well, and it's pretty well impossible to find actual vintage Open Roads in 7 7/8, so the Campdraft was a great substitute.

Atomic Glee

Practically Family
Tony in Tarzana said:
What did it end up costing, all told? I have a big-headed friend who needs a wider brim than the stingy I found for him last year.

This one looks great on you!

Thanks, Tony! All told, with the faster shipping (EMS Courier vs. Air Mail), this cost a total of $146.08.

Duck

Practically Family
Great looking lid!!!!!:eusa_clap The Campdraft is one fine looking hat and it suits you very well.

RBH

Bartender
Welcome to the Brotherhood AG !

That Camp Draft looks great on you, I have the tawny fawn, and wondered what the sand looked like. Akubra did Stetson one even better in my opinion, the crown is a little more abundunt on the Camp Draft than on either my Open Road or Stratoliner. I think it gives the hat a great look and style.
Once again great fedora and great job on the bash.

AlanC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Congratulations. Any self-respecting hat wearer in Ft. Worth has got to have an OR!

Really nice work on the bash, AG. I've got to get better at that.

The Outlaw Kyle

One of the Regulars
Beautiful hat AG! I really like that color, in the close up shots you can see that it's not white, but almost a "bone" color. Enjoy it, I love mine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats