Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Japan is a hat wonderland" article

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
The following article appreared in a fashion newspaper, published in English, in SENKEN newspaper

March2010001.jpg

Dreispitz

One Too Many
Daizawaguy,

what an interesting article! Great find and thanks for posting!

Indeed, when I was in Japan last time in 2006, I noticed people in Tokio and other places wear the mentioned hats. Friends of mine actually did. I was not that much into hats at that time and did not pay attention to the large variety of shape and their meaning as a particular Japanese thing. Now that I read the article, I understand the Japanese hat phenomenon.

I cannot recall anyone wear a classic western fedora type or other felt hat. The contemporary Japanese hat is a different concept.

Having said that, I now do see the styles you had Art make for you in a different contextual light. Well done!

Mikey P

One of the Regulars
Makes me miss Japan. I lived in Osaka for 2 years, 93 & 94. I loved living there, hated working there. :p

Mikey

Dreispitz

One Too Many
daizawaguy said:
I guess you mean "Fushigi-kashira" ... I like that, "mysterious, isnt it"....lol

Good one. However, I was thinking of "kashira" like in Japanese swords. Pommel, in European terms.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Dreispitz said:
Good one. However, I was thinking of "kashira" like in Japanese swords. Pommel, in European terms.

Ah, Sir, I detect an expert in an ancient art...I though your main hobby was hats, but I seem mistaken...;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace