Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jodhpurs / Breeches

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Them newfangled elastic jobs have been around since the 1850's. ;)

You mean Congress gaiters?

congressshoe2.jpg

ff-shoes_colonial_mens_congress_-1.jpg

All of these new-fangled inventions are just confusing!

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
JODHPURS 1960's

Dating myself but back in high school in the
mid 1960's , Jodhpurs as pictured by Warbaby,
were a VERY preppy thing at the time. Local
shoe stores carried them well under $40.00

Solid Citizen ;)

PS "Congress Gaiters" we called
them Beatle Boots, but with a
more prominent stacked Cuban
heel. Flagg Brothers shoes carried
them :rolleyes:

Warbaby

One Too Many
Solid Citizen said:
Dating myself but back in high school in the
mid 1960's , Jodhpurs as pictured by Warbaby,
were a VERY preppy thing at the time. Local
shoe stores carried them well under $40.00

Solid Citizen ;)

PS "Congress Gaiters" we called
them Beatle Boots, but with a
more prominent stacked Cuban
heel. Flagg Brothers shoes carried
them :rolleyes:

Yep, that's when I had my first pair of Jodphurs. In fact, remembering that first pair was what got me to thinking that I really wanted a pair again. And yes, I remember Flagg Brothers (are they still around?). They used to carry some of the most bizarre shoes in town. I have to admit buying shoes from them in the past - used to be my primary criteria for shoes was that they had to make me laugh...

just_me - You're absolutely right about the nomenclature, but back in the day we just called them Jodphurs and it didn't occur to me to call them by their proper name.

BTW - I love and covet those Vogel two-tone black and tan lace-ups - I'd kill for a pair of those. Unfortunately, they're so far beyond my budget that it's about the only way I'll ever get a pair. :eek:

just_me

Practically Family
Warbaby said:
just_me - You're absolutely right about the nomenclature, but back in the day we just called them Jodphurs and it didn't occur to me to call them by their proper name.
I know i'm right. :D :D Jodhpurs are a specific type of riding pants, usually worn by children. Jodhpur boots are the riding boots made to wear with jodhpurs or with breeches and 1/2 chaps.

100-11-01.jpg

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Pants AND Boots

just-me,

You are correct regarding Jodhpurs as
riding pants for all ages. Gen. Douglas
MacArthur wore them.

Solid Citizen :D

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Solid Citizen said:
Gen. Douglas MacArthur wore them.
So did President Reagan. Although he traded them in for Western duds early on in his political career when one of his handlers feared that by wearing equestrian garb he'd risked being taken as an Eastern sissy. :p

photo_horseback_reagan.jpg

But once he gained the White House, back came the jodhpurs.

reagan_on_horseback2.jpg

_44312886_8reagan_pa_416.jpg

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Maybe it's just the photograph, maybe Her Majesty has been caught in an instant when she was leaning forward to give her mount an aid, but from this view Mr. Reagan appears to have a much better seat...I think that this shows that before 'riding western' as a political gesture, he learned to 'ride English' properly.

Oh, and why not call Jodphur boots, boots? It's only one more syllable, after all...

Oh, and being pedantic, the full title of the riding attire would be Jodhpur (note the upper case - it's a place) trousers. Not all riding trousers are in the Jodphur style, of course. But let's not get into pedantic discussions....

W

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
H.Johnson said:
Maybe it's just the photograph, maybe Her Majesty has been caught in an instant when she was leaning forward to give her mount an aid, but from this view Mr. Reagan appears to have a much better seat...I think that this shows that before 'riding western' as a political gesture, he learned to 'ride English' properly.

Oh, and why not call Jodphur boots, boots? It's only one more syllable, after all...

Oh, and being pedantic, the full title of the riding attire would be Jodhpur (note the upper case - it's a place) trousers. Not all riding trousers are in the Jodphur style, of course. But let's not get into pedantic discussions....

W

You are correct!

In 1937 Second Lieutenant Reagan was assigned to the Officers Reserve Corps of the Cavalry. He learned to ride at the US Army Cavalry School at Ft Reily, Kansas. Properly, like an officer.

His Secret Service Code Name "Stagecoach" may have been a bit of typecasting. Once a reporter asked Reagan about his ranch in California, making a "cowboy" reference, Reagan bristled and said "we ride jumping horses" at the ranch.

The big gray Arabian thoroughbred El Alamein, Mr Reagan is riding in the one picture was presented to him by Mexican President Jorge, while he was POTUS.

I always thought that, flared riding pants that are designed to be worn with tall English boots, are "Breeches" rather than Jodphurs which are worn with the ankle length boots.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Fascinating! I didn't know that about RR. HM's long-time favourite horse was also a grey, now deceased, called Monarch. I don't recognise her mount in the photograph. Was it taken on a visit to the US, I wonder?

You are also correct, sir. Jodhpur in Rajasthan in Northern India is classic horse country - well worth a visit, I assure you. When the British first arrived there (thanks to the East India Company) they would have ridden in breeches ending just below the knee (which were normal day wear anyway) and long boots. The locals wore (and still do) lightweight trousers (called 'payjamas') that were loose in the thigh and tight in the calf. To dispense with the long boots (which must have been uncomfortable in the heat) the British civilians began to wear trousers that were a hybrid of their own riding breeches and the local trousers. The Jodhpur boot was arrived at as a short boot for wearing with the Jodhpur trousers in place of the long boot.

Lone_Ranger said:
You are correct!

In 1937 Second Lieutenant Reagan was assigned to the Officers Reserve Corps of the Cavalry. He learned to ride at the US Army Cavalry School at Ft Reily, Kansas. Properly, like an officer.

His Secret Service Code Name "Stagecoach" may have been a bit of typecasting. Once a reporter asked Reagan about his ranch in California, making a "cowboy" reference, Reagan bristled and said "we ride jumping horses" at the ranch.

The big gray Arabian thoroughbred El Alamein, Mr Reagan is riding in the one picture was presented to him by Mexican President Jorge, while he was POTUS.

I always thought that, flared riding pants that are designed to be worn with tall English boots, are "Breeches" rather than Jodphurs which are worn with the ankle length boots.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Lone_Ranger said:
Even breeches today are not very flared, unless you get a reenactor style, which in turn would get you sneered at among "traditional" horsey folk (traditional meaning "what people do now").

Even as Reagan was in training, the Army (except for the cavalry) was phasing out the "Eastern sissy" flared breeches and boots look. This had been a part of officers' uniforms ever since the days when the cavalry was considered the elite. That was fast changing in the '30s. In addition, Fascist cultures were beginning to own the look, phasing the browns out in favor of iconic black.

In addition, they were (perhaps purposely) impractical. They were not meant for long marches but had to be worn. Step in snow or water that was deeper than you counted on and the boots filled up - from the top down. The puttees of WW1 weren't much better, but at least didn't bottle up water, just soaked it up.

just_me

Practically Family
H.Johnson said:
Actually, Her Majesty is riding more in hunt seat style, with her legs more under her. Reagan has his legs pushed too far forward.

H.Johnson said:

W

I noticed that you go back and forth on spelling (as do a lot of people), but the correct spelling is Jodhpur. Though, those of us who ride call the pants Jodhpurs and the boots Jodhpur boots.

just_me

Practically Family
Lone_Ranger said:
Though none of the modern riding pants are flared, you are correct in that breeches are worn with tall boots. The part of the pants below the knee are very tight and go only part way down the bottom half of the leg so material does not bunch up in the ankle of the boot. Jodhpurs, on the other hand, go all the way down past the ankle and have an elastic stirrup that goes under the foot of the jodhpur or paddock boot to keep the pants from sliding up the leg while riding.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know about riding pants. lol

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
H.Johnson said:
Fascinating! I didn't know that about RR. HM's long-time favourite horse was also a grey, now deceased, called Monarch. I don't recognise her mount in the photograph. Was it taken on a visit to the US, I wonder?

It is at Windsor Castle.

http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page2691.asp

I'm not sure if the Queen ever visited the Western White House, or Camp David. Though PM Thatcher was at the Ranch.

just_me, is there a proper term for the riding pants that button up the outside of the leg? Or are they still considered breeches? (Like a Vaquero, or Napoleonic era cavalry)

just_me

Practically Family
Lone_Ranger said:
just_me, is there a proper term for the riding pants that button up the outside of the leg? Or are they still considered breeches? (Like a Vaquero, or Napoleonic era cavalry)
I haven't seen a pair of those in many, many, many (yes, I'm old :) ) years, but everyone I knew just called them breeches. The buttons were eventually replaced with zippers and then velcro.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
I see your point about RR's legs, I think his stirrups are longer than most would have them, but it was HM's slightly hunched body position I noted. I other photographs from the same series (see post above) she is more upright.

My apologies for the occasional incorrect spelling - people blame it on my age. It is, of course, Jodhpur. A fabulous place.

just_me said:
Actually, Her Majesty is riding more in hunt seat style, with her legs more under her. Reagan has his legs pushed too far forward.

I sometimes spell things incorrectly, for which I apologise. The word is, of course, Jodhpur. I should know that, as I visited the area a few years ago and found it captiviating. In England we have the same naming convention, Jodhpur and Jodhpur boot. May we agree that Jodhpur boots should always be called boots?

I noticed that you go back and forth on spelling (as do a lot of people), but the correct spelling is Jodhpur. Though, those of us who ride call the pants Jodhpurs and the boots Jodhpur boots.

Dieter

New in Town
BellyTank said:
"Modern", non-traditional Jodhpurs/Riding breeches are stretch fabric, no need for roominess. Brown breeches WERE actually pretty popular (in some circles)in 1930s Germany...

B
T

Interesting subject, the German military use of riding breeches.
German officers continued the use of reiterhosen (riding breeches) with riding boots well into the Second World War while the enlistend and non-commissioned ranks wore trousers and marching boots, due to the historic tradition of Officers being on horseback while the men clacked down cobblestone streets with hobnailed boots.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo