Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny's fedora in Newsweek

Newteh

New in Town
I found these pictures of Depp at the Venice Film Festival this summer. Depp was still sporting his grey Fedora.

johnny-depp-venice-film-festival-95-12.jpg

johnny-depp-venice-film-festival-95-9.jpg

fatwoul

Practically Family
herringbonekid said:
...pity about the straggly face furniture.

Oh I dunno, I think Depp can pull it off better than most. His style accommodates it.

EDIT: Wow. That'll teach me to read the posting dates on other people's comments more carefully. lol

Newteh

New in Town
fatwoul said:
Oh I dunno, I think Depp can pull it off better than most. His style accommodates it.

EDIT: Wow. That'll teach me to read the posting dates on other people's comments more carefully. lol

LOL

I think it's been trimmed since that comment was made :p

Newteh

New in Town
That hat was settled on as a Whippet right?

The only Whippets I can find all have much higher ribbons. Is this typical of a Whippet or did they make them with 1 1/2" ribbons?

Regards,

Newton

Newteh

New in Town
Marc Chevalier said:
I wonder why that "mixed style" includes hats which are one size too big for his head?

Maybe he saw a vintage hat and thought, I have to have that one!

So what it's a little big, it still looks good on him. :p

Regards,

Newton

Newteh

New in Town
Newteh said:
That hat was settled on as a Whippet right?

The only Whippets I can find all have much higher ribbons. Is this typical of a Whippet or did they make them with 1 1/2" ribbons?

Regards,

Newton

Just wondering if anyone can get back to me on this.

Thanks

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
You'll have to keep a weather eye out for them on ebay. Not all of them will be marked Whippet inside or on the liner. There is one that I have that is a brown Whippet that isn't marked that way (just a plain Royal Stetson) but it bears a remarkable resemblance to my every day Whippet. The only difference is the height of the crown and ribbon. They're out there, you just have to be vigilant and patient. But when you find one jump on it, because they vanish quickly. Another you may want to be looking for is the Stetson Three-Way. It is basically a Whippet that is just marketed differently. Stetson did that regularly back in the day. They would have one body style that was blocked exactly the same with the same ribbon & brim binding. They may add a trolly cord to one and leave it off another, shape the crown slightly different from all of the rest and them name them all differently. A Royal Stetson, a Stetson 20 and so on. It was good marketing trying to sell the same hat to folks who may have bought a Whippet a couple of years ago. Why buy the same hat you already have, but if it's advertised & packaged differently it could be the one you want. That was very smart on their part.

Cheers!

Dan

Marc Chevalier said:
I believe it's a vintage Borsalino. Look closely at the photo: the brim's edging is fastened down with more stitches per inch than you'll find on a new Borsie. I say "potahto".

Baron Kurtz said:
And i say potatoE

But i agree with you on the vintageness of da hat. Seems a very 40s number to me. Dunno about Borso; could be anyting ...

bk

Well, these exchanges were quite a while ago now. I just saw another photo (below; from the new J Depp hat thread) where the corrugated padding at the front of the sweatband is clearly visible. This was commonly seen on old Borsalinos.

cfla45.jpg

bk

keox11

Familiar Face
Baron Kurtz said:
Well, these exchanges were quite a while ago now. I just saw another photo (below; from the new J Depp hat thread) where the corrugated padding at the front of the sweatband is clearly visible. This was commonly seen on old Borsalinos.

cfla45.jpg

bk

Indeed, it is a vintage Borsalino! I asked at Art Fawcell and he said that it is a "Borsalino Alessandria" with a brim = 2 3 / 4 and a crown = 5 1 / 2:)

I just ordered it the same hat!

Also, Mr. Depp has a small head and he likes to wear big hats! That's why it takes 2 or 3 sizes above:) after I know how he does it to compensate for the gaps;)

The fact that they wear big hats gives an effect of width of the brim that I like ... Before looking at the pictures, I thought that the brim was 2 7 / 8, but actually, no, it's a brim 2 3 / 4! I got fooled by the effect width of a hat too big for his head;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael