Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny's fedora in Newsweek

Baron Kurtz said:
The newspaper cartoon page that was stuffed inseide the sweat to reduce the size (It is a verrrrrry generous size 7) was 1954 - oct 7th 1954 was the date on the bugs bunny cartoon. Don't know if this is contemporary with when it - hat - was made.

bk

The first ad is from 1951 so that could be about right and contemporary for the hat.

Regards,

J

Canadave

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
After all, why would Johnny Depp (with his not-so-large hat size)...

How do you know he has a "not-so-large" hat size? Do you have inside info, or can you tell by looking?

Marc Chevalier said:
Got a head? Get a hat.

Got a bigger head? Get a good new hat...

...or get a lot of patience and search for vintage. It's possible!

David

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Okay... Cat's out of the bag...

scotrace said:
I think we'd be quite surprised at who lurks - or even posts.
Tom "H" here... Outted... Shoot... First, let me apologize to everyone for the stupid Paris hair cut (the one I got in the city, not the one I got from the blonde ditz, although I AM sorry about her, too) and for my less-than-riveting performance in The Da Vinci Code (yeah, Ronnie H. had it right when he told the world that it was "just a movie," too bad it was such a crappy movie), but you know if I'm not called upon to do a silly accent at this stage of my life (or kiss Catherine Z-Jones -- VA VA VA VOOM!) I just can't get both size 13-D feet into the role, so to speak, unless of course it involves losing 40 pounds to pretend that I'm marooned on an island with -- get this a soccer ball and an ice skate, you've GOT to be kidding), but wow did you see that P-51 mustang that Cruise bought -- good name too, BTW -- Kiss Me Kate -- even though he probably won't let me fly it again after I organized that little "practical joke" with a bunch of fellow A-listers (Harold Ramis truly IS funnier in real life) rented those ratty old leather sofas and set them outside his (Tom's, not Harold's) Malibu place and jumped up and down on them like they were trampolines and if that buffon Kevin Spacey hadn't hit his head on that damn low-hanging branch we would have kept going even though we were like TOTALLY out of beer, which, by the way, you would think NEVER happens to a star of my brilliant (TWO freakin' Oscars, BABY), but be-it-ever-so-humble personna, and NO it is NOT an act, I really AM this nice face-to-face, just ask my good friend Josh Curtis who hung out with ME long before he'd even heard about those vintage-come-latelies who call themselves Depp and Deckard and Root (bet those aren't even their real names!) cause I know a bunch of guys -- Dan Aykroyd (Dan Hemmeroid we call him behind his back) -- that suck up to anybody with octaganerian girlfriends (yeah, like right, he hangs out in the Desert with Lana-I've-Been-Deceased-For-11-Years-Turner) who by the way are MORE than willing to "autograph" their 50-year-old corsets to "My DEAREST Root," or "Matt, my DREAMBOAT," for a silly little peck on the lips (geez, talk about living in a May-to-September kind of fantasyland, which as we all know is NOT near Pasadena, but actually located on the backlot at Paramount), where BTW-2, Steven and I are busy at work on The Ladykillers 2 (the first one really WASN'T so bad, was it?) and, anyway, it did a WHOLE lot better in foreign box office than domestic, but wow, I digress, we were talking about Depp, weren't we...

Confession: I lied. I'm really Robin Williams :rolleyes:

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Current Lid...

So it seems to be his most current lid. It's been worn in several interviews.

June232006013.jpg

June232006071.jpg

June232006044.jpg

Sort of the shabby sheik thing. But hey, it does seem to work and it is nice to see hats worn with a certain amount of pride.

Cheers!

Dan

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Hmmm...

Having no success at making any of mine do that Depp thang, I wonder if Art could create a Depp hat. Maybe call it The Depp Sweep. Or Swept Depp.

It would have to be very soft felt, and not too tidy.

Joel Tunnah

Practically Family
I guess I'm in the minority on this, but I think the hat itself looks bad, and I think he's only wearing it to be ironic. The big black glasses accomplish the same goal.

Joel

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
How Ironic

Well then, he's been ironic since he was a teenager, because that's how long he's been wearing these lids. At least he's comfortable enough in his own skin to dress how he likes and not how society dictates.;) :eek:
But hey, to each their own. I usually have that 50's suburban back yard weekend look in my Adam fedora, bowling shirt & khakis, and I don't look like I fit in with my fellow coworkers, but I comfortable enough with my everyday look that nobody notices anymore. So I must be ironic too. Cool! I can live with that.:D But, that's just me.;)

Oh, and the black glasses, my Pop (at 78) still wears his BC glasses, but he's just practical that way.

Cheers!

Dan

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Joel Tunnah said:
I guess I'm in the minority on this, but I think the hat itself looks bad, and I think he's only wearing it to be ironic. The big black glasses accomplish the same goal.

Joel

He's wearing it to be DREAMY. Heh. It beats the heck out of heavy eyeliner and gold fronts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skipbarnes