Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
This post is a comparison review. There are some questions I had that I wanted to find out for myself for a while.

M-500 xzip vs WWL-41 xzip.

M-500 is the current Bay area police department contract jacket, mine is in stock size 40.

WWL-41 is their other police jacket, and mine is in stock size 42.

M-500 on the left, WWL-41 on the right
View attachment 606415
View attachment 606416
View attachment 606417
View attachment 606418
View attachment 606419
View attachment 606420
View attachment 606421
View attachment 606422
View attachment 606423

JL's M-500 pattern has been one of my favorite ever since I got it. Mostly because it's very comfortable and I can wear it all day. Practical and no nonsense.

The WWL-41 pattern is quite a bit flashier than the understated M-500 imo. But still has great range of motion. Quite amazing for a tight fitting jacket pattern.

If the M-500 is an modified unmarked cruiser putting down 500+hp at the wheels, then the WWL-41 is a Lambo police car.

That's all I got. Thanks for reading.

I wonder how different the patterns are when you equalize for sizing via shared PTP, because your size 40 M-500 measures very similarly to the size 44 WWL-41s I saw at the shop.

I bring this up because nothing about the WWL-41 has that "skinny fit" of many repro jackets (like the worst feature they have, skinny biceps that limit motion); the difference seems to be mostly in size numbering, with the WWL-41 doing the 1950s thing of the chest circumference being 2" more than the tagged size. So I wonder if it's really just the numbers.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I wonder how different the patterns are when you equalize for sizing via shared PTP, because your size 40 M-500 measures very similarly to the size 44 WWL-41s I saw at the shop.

I bring this up because nothing about the WWL-41 has that "skinny fit" of many repro jackets (like the worst feature they have, skinny biceps that limit motion); the difference seems to be mostly in size numbering, with the WWL-41 doing the 1950s thing of the chest circumference being 2" more than the tagged size. So I wonder if it's really just the numbers.
The WWL-41 feels like a completely different pattern to me top down, no tag size game here, and the size 42 works for me. I tried to show that with all the mobility poses, it’s got a bit of pattern engineering. However, the case with all custom jackets, it’s best to go with how you would like it to fit, just to be on the safer side.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The WWL-41 feels like a completely different pattern to me top down, no tag size game here, and the size 42 works for me. I tried to show that with all the mobility poses, it’s got a bit of pattern engineering. However, the case with all custom jackets, it’s best to go with how you would like it to fit, just to be on the safer side.

I agree that the pattern is different. I'm just saying the sizes are graded differently so I didn't find them to fit very differently where the PTP was the same.

Like yes if someone bought a 42 in both, they would feel dramatically different. But a 40 in one measures like 44 in the other, and when I tried those on, they felt similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner