Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leather Jacket

Gr8Lakes

Familiar Face

Goel

A-List Customer
Yeah that one isn't the best for garment, really need soft/medium temper.
Utica is an interesting tannage. Chrome all the way through and advertised as full on waterproof. Danners ran a custom run for their boots before too.
Horween game hides sells off fast. I am still keeping an eye out for black color ones. I think they'll be best at hiding all those natural marking.
I've handled some Utica horsehide and it feels soft, I can only imagine how much more comfortable the deer would be. I was checking out Tannery Row and CF Stead actually has a Doeskin but it's pricey for the size (there's kudu as well but it's much too thick). Wish I could get a hold of what Lost Worlds uses because it's exactly the thing I'm looking for.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I've handled some Utica horsehide and it feels soft, I can only imagine how much more comfortable the deer would be. I was checking out Tannery Row and CF Stead actually has a Doeskin but it's pricey for the size (there's kudu as well but it's much too thick). Wish I could get a hold of what Lost Worlds uses because it's exactly the thing I'm looking for.
You can price shop any CF Stead / kudu / Euro hides with their UK agent AA Crack and Sons (I know what a name...) Sometimes Tannery Row is cheaper and sometimes AA Crack and Son is cheaper (even for Horween shells).
https://www.aacrack.com/
The only thing with getting stuff from AA Crack and Sons is return. I've gotten Kudu from them. Suppose to be 5oz maximum, but turn out to be about 6oz. Johnson was a champ for powering through the thick hide through.
Kudu is a wierd leather. Too rustic on the grain side. Like elephant skin with battle scars. But on the rough out side it feels like cashmere. They are tanned to be used on either side. If I did this again I'd use the rough out side. I did it on the pocket welts and feels like cashmere.
Kudu Hyena 01.jpg

Kudu Hyena 06.jpg

Johnson M500 Kudu 0000.JPG

But honestly, shopping for epoxied deerskin isn't easy. It might work out easier to just let LW do the work. Their crosszips are way overpriced but straight zips are still around 1500 I think.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
You can price shop any CF Stead / kudu / Euro hides with their UK agent AA Crack and Sons (I know what a name...) Sometimes Tannery Row is cheaper and sometimes AA Crack and Son is cheaper (even for Horween shells).
The only thing with getting stuff from AA Crack and Sons is return. I've gotten Kudu from them. Suppose to be 5oz maximum, but turn out to be about 6oz. Johnson was a champ for powering through the thick hide through.
Kudu is a wierd leather. Too rustic on the grain side. Like elephant skin with battle scars. But on the rough out side it feels like cashmere. They are tanned to be used on either side. If I did this again I'd use the rough out side. I did it on the pocket welts and feels like cashmere.
View attachment 509166
View attachment 509168
View attachment 509169

But honestly, shopping for epoxied deerskin isn't easy. It might work out easier to just let LW do the work. Their crosszips are way overpriced but straight zips are still around 1500 I think.
LW straight zips go for $1650 HH regular size. Crosszips $2450. Both way overpriced

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
LW straight zips go for $1650 HH regular size. Crosszips $2450. Both way overpriced
Damn everything is more expensive in NYC. They do make nice jackets. I am always on the hunt for used ones.

You have planted the Horween Milan seed in my head. But I have also locked away my wallet. Now I need to forget the lock combinations...

Rugby

One of the Regulars
View attachment 509166
View attachment 509168
View attachment 509169

Kudu is a kind of antelope right? How does that hide compares to deer or bison.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Damn everything is more expensive in NYC. They do make nice jackets. I am always on the hunt for used ones.

You have planted the Horween Milan seed in my head. But I have also locked away my wallet. Now I need to forget the lock combinations...
That Milan will be my next project from Johnson. I'm in the process of budgeting it in. So, probably next year.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Kudu is a kind of antelope right? How does that hide compares to deer or bison.
Kudu is the African Antelope correct. Very similar to deer I'd say. Best to use the suede side out though. Grain side just too rustic with all the scars. These animals hide in the thorn bushes to avoid being eaten. Aero and SB used to make jackets from this hide. They would be the better deal than importing it and custom make.

That Milan will be my next project from Johnson. I'm in the process of budgeting it in. So, probably next year.
I can't get Milan out of my head either. But it will have to wait. Going for a straight zip M500 CHP type, given the leather is on the thicker side.

Rugby

One of the Regulars
Kudu is the African Antelope correct. Very similar to deer I'd say. Best to use the suede side out though. Grain side just too rustic with all the scars. These animals hide in the thorn bushes to avoid being eaten. Aero and SB used to make jackets from this hide. They would be the better deal than importing it and custom make.

I can't get Milan out of my head either. But it will have to wait. Going for a straight zip M500 CHP type, given the leather is on the thicker side.
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. I've already talked to Damon and got an initial cost. It's going to be around $1600 because of the hide, and that's why I'm shooting for next year...kinda pricy

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well. I've already talked to Damon and got an initial cost. It's going to be around $1600 because of the hide, and that's why I'm shooting for next year...kinda pricy
The 300 upcharge is quite a bit. Horween raised prices over the past two years. I am gonna wait till next year too.

Goel

A-List Customer
View attachment 509166
View attachment 509168
View attachment 509169

That Kudu looks great! I actually like the appearance, in fact I was specifically looking for that "battered" texture. The main issue I had was the Kudu hides the Tannery Row had in stock look like the former owner got in a fight with a lion (and lost). Too many holes for a jacket. Stead has a lighter weight Kudu specifically made for apparel use but it's pretty much impossible to get a hold of it via retail. AA Crack does have a neat looking elk in stock and seem to get cool stuff in from time to time so I'll keep an eye on them along with Maverick for Horween game hides. But I've already got a nice jacket on order from Johnson so I'm not in a terrible rush.

I was planning to do a LW at first but I'm not big on their Type 3 pattern, and with the deer it would be well over $2K.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 509166
View attachment 509168
View attachment 509169

Kudu is beautiful. Always wanted one of the Aero ones but they are very rare on the used market.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That Kudu looks great! I actually like the appearance, in fact I was specifically looking for that "battered" texture. The main issue I had was the Kudu hides the Tannery Row had in stock look like the former owner got in a fight with a lion (and lost). Too many holes for a jacket. Stead has a lighter weight Kudu specifically made for apparel use but it's pretty much impossible to get a hold of it via retail. AA Crack does have a neat looking elk in stock and seem to get cool stuff in from time to time so I'll keep an eye on them along with Maverick for Horween game hides. But I've already got a nice jacket on order from Johnson so I'm not in a terrible rush.

I was planning to do a LW at first but I'm not big on their Type 3 pattern, and with the deer it would be well over $2K.
Haha, I am sure the kudus lost the fight, they're no crazy zebras...

All this game hide talk has me looking at them hides again.

Johnson has two different types of Type 3 patterns. One is M-LEI that's more the classic cut (like A2 jackets) and one is the Type III which is the slim fit cut (like their half belt).

I am back to looking at hides now...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Kudu is beautiful. Always wanted one of the Aero ones but they are very rare on the used market.
Definitely, I've only seen one show up in the past two years maybe. And only that one design was made in the kudu leather too. A rough out kudu would make an awesome racing shirt type jacket. Ugh...

hondurasdave47

Practically Family
View attachment 509166
View attachment 509168
View attachment 509169

That kudu hide is so cool!

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
That kudu hide is so cool!
It is very cool indeed. Hope the makers bring this super hide back from the dead and make some jackets with it. It's rigid on the outside like horsehide but cashmere soft on the reverse suede side. I can see why Goel is looking for finished deerskin. Not the easiest hide to work with because it has so many scars and hard on one side soft on the other is difficult on the machine. Still, really cool and nice hide.

Aero made that special jacket with it before:
aerokudu.jpg

So did SB, this is back when they were AL but their customers got lucky when they did this hide:

KBlake

One Too Many

Attachments

• 73BC4A6A-59B4-4671-ADED-44037C087CC6.jpeg
    73BC4A6A-59B4-4671-ADED-44037C087CC6.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 63
  • 70013D4B-3E56-41F3-B550-6782577AC94F.jpeg
    70013D4B-3E56-41F3-B550-6782577AC94F.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 54

Forum statistics

Threads
Members