Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnson Leathers Custom Jacket - Lots of Pics

Infinitum

A-List Customer
New jacket from San Francisco based Johnson Leathers. I met with Alan in his shop in San Francisco and we went over some details of what I wanted in a jacket. Alan is a skilled craftsman and he is a wonderful resource not only for jackets, leathers, and the garment industry in general, but also for talking watches. We spent a good long while with measurements, ideas, and fitting of his off-the-rack jackets to start getting an idea of where I am with sizing.

I wanted something not too heavy but still sturdy, good looking and "modern", with the lightest possible lining for breathe-ability. The experience was really, really great.

Specifications:

3.5-oz Horween Overdyed cow hide leather
Hidden pocket on the left side seam
Hidden pocket in collar
Bi-swing back
Heavy duty blacked out zippers, with dual way front zipper
Cotton lining on back/chest; cupro lining in the sleeves

Pics when brand new:

Pics after about 5-6 wears:

The jacket is EXTREMELY comfortable and is exactly what I wanted. Alan is awesome to work with, and I will be getting more stuff from him eventually. :)

Last edited:

FredS

One of the Regulars
Great jacket and believe it or not that is exactly the way I have been envisaging my perfect jacket too. Only one little difference I would like for myself and that is to have zippered sleeve-ends (Zips on the outside of the sleeve)
Could you post a sideways view and a rear view shot of you wearing the jacket as well please.
What size is that jacket and what are the measurements? And what did it set you back?
Nice touch that hidden collar zip.
How long did you have to wait before the jacket was ready from the time you were measured up (I presume you got measured up) How's the fit when you zip up and lift your arms into a horizontal position from your sides? No batwing effect? Could you do a photo from the front in that position?
I am seriously considering ordering a jacket like that from Johnson now that I have seen yours.

Ps!
Why do so many people including you take a photo of the jacket being worn with a t-shirt that is not tucked in? Tuck it in so we can see how far below belt-level the bottom end of the jacket reaches.

Last edited:

53Effie

A-List Customer
Very nice jacket! I've got one in the works with Johnson using that same leather, but 4oz, at present. Just waiting for it to be produced. I've been trying to be patient. It will be hard to continue in that mode after seeing yours. I really like it. I also agree with your comments about Alan. He is a very nice guy to work with and he knows his business well. Enjoy your jacket. The fit looks just right to me.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Have heard nothing but good regarding JL, and your jacket is no exception. It appears that the bottom of your jacket is about at the level of your belt or slightly below. Correct?

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Looks pretty nice, but the photos need tweaking - jacket is scrunched up or close up. Full shot of front and back?

Last edited:
In all honesty, this is an incredibly beautiful jacket and I don't think the fit could've been any better. Exactly what FredS said, this is my idea of a perfect jacket!

Pictures of the back of the jacket, if it's not too much of a bother. I wanna see the bi-swing back.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Nice... VERY nice. I've been debating a Johnson leathers jacket. They did some repairs/alterations for me last year that were top notch! If I order one that would leave only ELC and BK out of my stable BUT neither of them make jackets in size 50 which I'm down to now. I started as a size 54 and now I'm an comfortable 50 in most makes... a tight 48 in GoodWear. But I digress... great looking jacket and hide! I'm curious about the neck pocket but I won't even ask.

Worf

IXL

One Too Many
"Stash" pocket, located in the collar. They were real popular in the 70's. That is a good looking jacket.

Tarwater

Familiar Face
Great jacket, great fit. It's got a unique look without being the over-modded jacket that so many customers seem to design for themselves -- regardless of maker. Thanks for taking the time to make a post. Definitely puts Johnson Leathers on my radar.

technovox

One Too Many
Beautiful jacket! I like the overall simplicity of the design, with the diagonal chest pocket. And the spread collar. Classic look.
Did you have the overdyed Horween hide skinned down from 4.0? Even at 3.5 oz I would imagine that hide is still pretty thick.

TXFlyGuy

Practically Family
I visited their website and saw an A-2 plus a custom Bison G-3. Both looked very nice. How does JL compare with G&B for overall quality and pricing?

Infinitum

A-List Customer
Guys - thank you for all the kind words. It's my favorite jacket thus far, and I have had a few (including a GW in FQHH).

The fit is spot on, and the jacket hits and covers my belt without issue. I think it's a perfect length in both the body and sleeves. The jacket is cut aggressively with high arm holes, so there is no "batwing" effect when I lift my arms, and the jacket barely moves upward when I do so.

I took a shot of the one-piece back, and will post it tonight hopefully. I'll try to get some more shots of me wearing it, but that may not be for a little while. I'll also try and get some measurements, although I am not sure the point as we are all very different. :)

I am not sure if this was 4oz shaved down to 3.5oz - I just know the end result is 3.5oz and it's perfectly spot on.

Most JL custom jackets are on a 8-10 week wait right now, according to Alan.

There are two "stash" pockets - one in the collar, and one on the side - I like them both very much. :)

FredS

One of the Regulars
Guys - thank you for all the kind words. It's my favorite jacket thus far, and I have had a few (including a GW in FQHH).

The fit is spot on, and the jacket hits and covers my belt without issue. I think it's a perfect length in both the body and sleeves. The jacket is cut aggressively with high arm holes, so there is no "batwing" effect when I lift my arms, and the jacket barely moves upward when I do so.

I took a shot of the one-piece back, and will post it tonight hopefully. I'll try to get some more shots of me wearing it, but that may not be for a little while. I'll also try and get some measurements, although I am not sure the point as we are all very different. :)

I am not sure if this was 4oz shaved down to 3.5oz - I just know the end result is 3.5oz and it's perfectly spot on.

There are two "stash" pockets - one in the collar, and one on the side - I like them both very much. :)

Repeat:
Great jacket and believe it or not that is exactly the way I have been envisaging my perfect jacket too. Only one little difference I would like for myself and that is to have zippered sleeve-ends (Zips on the outside of the sleeve)
Could you post a sideways view and a rear view shot of you wearing the jacket as well please.
What size is that jacket and what are the measurements? And what did it set you back?
How long did you have to wait before the jacket was ready from the time you were measured up (I presume you got measured up) How's the fit when you zip up and lift your arms into a horizontal position from your sides? No batwing effect? Could you do a photo from the front in that position?
I am seriously considering ordering a jacket like that from Johnson now that I have seen yours.

Ps!
Why do so many people including you take a photo of the jacket being worn with a t-shirt that is not tucked in? Tuck it in so we can see how far below belt-level the bottom end of the jacket reaches.

FredS

One of the Regulars

Repeat: But if you feel you couldn't be bothered to answer just say so. In that case you obviously only posted to get ooohs and aaahs and have no interest in replying to queries.

Ps!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner