Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just bought my first iron

vonwotan

Practically Family
Thank you. Interesting you should choose this link. Thanks to hand washing and pressing I still have three Kabbaz shirts from his old shop on Madison Avenue. Lately I have been buying my shirts from Carl Goldberg at CEGO.

Barry

Practically Family
Archie Goodwin said:
Trousers, khakis, and suit jackets. The press also includes a steam balst option that works well on jacket wrinkles.

What brand & model of steam press do you use?

Barry

griffer

Practically Family
Starch

I used to get my shirts starched at the laundry, or I would starch them myself, but then I started hearing opposite advice.

I read that starch can cause shrinkage and make cotton brittle, actually shortening the life of the shirt. Also, when I lived down south in the sauna, a cleaner told me that starch seals the weave of cotton, making the shirts hotter and less breathable. Another source got me started on rotating my shirts, not always getting starch, to give the fabric a chance to breath and relax.

I switched to almost exclusively Chalre Tyrwhitt shirts, and they stress to skip the starch completely. I now think its been years since I wore a starched shirt, but sometimes I miss the crispy.

So, thoughts on starch?

griffer said:
I used to get my shirts starched at the laundry, or I would starch them myself, but then I started hearing opposite advice.

I read that starch can cause shrinkage and make cotton brittle, actually shortening the life of the shirt. Also, when I lived down south in the sauna, a cleaner told me that starch seals the weave of cotton, making the shirts hotter and less breathable. Another source got me started on rotating my shirts, not always getting starch, to give the fabric a chance to breath and relax.

I switched to almost exclusively Chalre Tyrwhitt shirts, and they stress to skip the starch completely. I now think its been years since I wore a starched shirt, but sometimes I miss the crispy.

So, thoughts on starch?

I have no idea what starch does to shirts other than mine. Over the years, it really hasn't made any noticeable difference in wear or breathability of the shirts---and mine are always heavily starched. I can't stand my shirts to have floppy collars or cuffs. They have to be stiff so it really wouldn't bother me if I got less wear out of it. I like them to look that way. [huh]
Colors I have no idea about. I only wear either white or off white dress shirts.

Regards,

J

RAF Man

One of the Regulars
Be very careful if the phone rings while your'e ironing. A momentary lapse and you can really burn your ear. Take it from one who's been there:eusa_doh:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR