Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just got a pre-owned Aero half belt

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Thanks to Handymike. I got his 10 year old 1930's half-belt, cotton drill lining.

A few observations.

Sizing - 42 and I'd say that is true to size, if a bit snug.
Build quality - solid, the stitching, cut and detail is about equal to my Johnson Leathers jackets.
Hide - FQHH - nice. It's not stiff, but it is dense.
Pattern - a lovely take on the half-belt and it feels period.
Length - perfect. The back is 25.5 inches and the front is 24 inches. It sites nicely 3 inches over my belt. At six feet two it's hard to get jackets that are long enough.

As a standard model, it doesn't have leather lined cuffs (which is a shame) and the body lining sticks out the bottom a little bit at the back - a band of leather around the bottom hem inside would be helpful. Both of these are standard with a Johnson jacket.

All up a very nice jacket and good to have one that is already broken in. It's a winner.

I'll try to post photos later.

schitzo

Suspended
Length - perfect. The back is 25.5 inches and the front is 24 inches. It sites nicely 3 inches over my belt. At six feet two it's hard to get jackets that are long enough.

So you're another member of the 6,2" club eh. I'll certainly be interested to see how this length sits on you because for me that number would scream 'TOO SHORT!' But maybe not by much - depends on the fit of the jacket

All the best
Schitz

PS I hope you won't do a Grayland and promise pics that aren't delivered! If you're reading this Grayland I am still eagerly anticipating those aero goat close ups!!!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
So you're another member of the 6,2" club eh. I'll certainly be interested to see how this length sits on you because for me that number would scream 'TOO SHORT!' But maybe not by much - depends on the fit of the jacket

All the best
Schitzotypal

PS I hope you won't do a Grayland and promise pics that aren't delivered! If you're reading this Grayland I am still eagerly anticipating those aero goat close ups!!!

Must be the cut. It sits nice and long on me - which is how I like em. The 24 inches in front is the key to the fit.

Sounds like it fits you much better than it did me.
Looking forward to the pictures.
Wear it in good health!

Grayland

Call Me a Cab

All the best
Schitz

Damn you, Schitzo...you're going to make a good ex-wife! I'll try and get some pics up tomorrow.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Must be the cut. It sits nice and long on me - which is how I like em. The 24 inches in front is the key to the fit.
I thought initially that Schitz might be right but see from the pictures that the jacket fit on you really looks pretty good. Always a good thing to have someone else do all of the work in breaking in a FQHH too.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
The sleeves look shortish in the shots but they actually come part way down my palm.

The HH is lovely and soft and dense. It's an extraordinary leather.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The sleeves look shortish in the shots but they actually come part way down my palm.

The HH is lovely and soft and dense. It's an extraordinary leather.

Actually the sleeves look OK too. However, is your right arm longer than your left, or is it just positioning. Asymmetric body parts are not unusual; my left foot is almost a full size longer than my right.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Actually the sleeves look OK too. However, is your right arm longer than your left, or is it just positioning. Asymmetric body parts are not unusual; my left foot is almost a full size longer than my right.

It's how I'm standing. As far as I can tell both arms are pretty much the same.

schitzo

Suspended
yep, the length is bang on for you. Now I'm confused.

I'm wondering if this could be to do with how high you wear your trousers?

Fanch

I'll Lock Up

Schitz, Seb is wearing jeans which if worn too high makes our voices change from bass to soprano.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up

Thanks all.

The jeans are medium rise. And Schitzo, before you ask, no my torso is normal length.

It's the cut of the jacket. The front length is the key. It's 24.5 inches. Usually where a back length is 25.5 the front is 22-23 inches. That's what I have usually found. Can anyone else measure their size 42 half belt? It'd be interesting to compare.

Gambetto

Familiar Face
How tall are you, Seb? 6"2? I don't see you mentioning your height anywhere but Schizo seems to know. I am curious about the right size to order for the back of a jacket. I am 5"11 and ordering a half belt. Trying to decide between 25.5 and 24.5. I had a 25" and it seemed a bit short. So you are 6"2 and you like 25.5"?

On another note, that's interesting you say that Aero is about the same as Johnson. I had heard that Johnson jackets weren't as quite as well made as Aeros. Most Johnsons are less expensive by quite a bit. I've never even touched a Johnson but I've been on the fence a few times.

At any rate, your jacket looks smashing. Well done.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
How tall are you, Seb? 6"2? I don't see you mentioning your height anywhere but Schizo seems to know. I am curious about the right size to order for the back of a jacket. I am 5"11 and ordering a half belt. Trying to decide between 25.5 and 24.5. I had a 25" and it seemed a bit short. So you are 6"2 and you like 25.5"?

On another note, that's interesting you say that Aero is about the same as Johnson. I had heard that Johnson jackets weren't as quite as well made as Aeros. Most Johnsons are less expensive by quite a bit. I've never even touched a Johnson but I've been on the fence a few times.

At any rate, your jacket looks smashing. Well done.

Yep I'm 6ft 2. I would normally order a back length of 27 inches but this one sits fine. Half belts can sit higher at the back. I have a Johnson leather half belt custom made for me. In terms of stitching, materials, and built it is equal to Aero.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy