Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just moved to Kenosha, WI ~ What's to do?

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
AF... I'd only eat fish for 1 million dollars. Are you offering me 1 million dollars? :-D
Ma'am, I'll bet if you were properly introduced to well-prepared fin fish, you'd change your mind...so please…let me suggest a counteroffer. Perhaps some freshly caught king mackerel, steaked and lightly marinated, then grilled outdoors on a wind swept deck overlooking the blue Atlantic. After a tangy shrimp cocktail appetizer, your mackerel would be served beside a fresh, crisp, cucumber salad and some deeply grilled and caramelized red bell peppers. There’s cool, key lime pie for dessert...but there’s also a dozen key limes crushed into a large, ice-cold pitcher of gin and tonic.

AF

R.G. White

One of the Regulars
Wow! I live in Kenosha... yeah, there is absolutely nothing to do here. Sorry.
Downtown is starting to look a bit nicer, but it's not very nice in some parts. The beach is wonderful in the summertime. You can ride the trolleys. Visit the museums. Go to Common Grounds cafe, it's very nice there. It really isn't that bad of a city, honestly, but it's pretty laid back.
Lots of nice architecture, too.

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Mike Bravo... Awww... tasteless comments are my taste in comments! Oh and I do an awesome impression of Gollum!

My first reaction to the question "Just moved to Kenosha, WI ~ What's to do?" was "Shoot yourself"

Mind you, I suppose Wisconsin is not that bad, then again, I've never been there

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
Kenosha maybe.... but not all of Wisconsin. B

I agree. I love Wisconsin. The EAA Fly-In is there. Summerfest is there. The Bucks and the Brewers are there...and, of course, so are 'da Packers. But beyond all that, good, solid, straight-up Middle America is still there, and...

....'Sconnie women love to hear me talk. ;)

AF

I second that emotion. Pardeeville's a great little Village, just over 2000 people. I've lived in Milwaukee, Germantown, Mayville, Herman, Menomonee Falls, Hartford, Erin, Colegate, Columbus, York, Caledonia, Portage, and now in Pardeeville and really love this place.

Kenosha maybe.... but not all of Wisconsin.

B

I'm out of Madison originally. Been out here since 1968, but I get back with some regularity (every coupla years or so) to see what's left of the old friends and relatives and to meet the new ones. So it still feels quite familiar and comfortable. I get around fine without a map.

Tom couldn't be more right about Pardeeville and environs. My grandfather's widow (his third wife; he outlived the first two) spent the last of her days in a "care center" (aka nursing home) in Wyocena, so the dewy-eyed bride and I got up that way a coupla times. If you got a good arm, you could throw a rock in Wyocena and break a window in Pardeeville.

Turns out that a fellow I know out here is from Pardeeville as well. Small world, etc.

Wisconsin's splendor is mostly in its ordinariness. Nothing much all that spectacular there -- no mountains or canyons or deserts. And the winters can just suck. Lotsa lakes, though, and well-preserved old downtowns and a general sense (not to get too darned romantic about it) that people oughta take satisfaction in what they have and take care of it. Or at least more than people out here do, generally.

Tony, I woulda never guessed you were from my neck of the woods. I spent a large portion of my life in Columbus and my mom worked in Sun Prairie from when I was 7 until she came to work by me a year and a half ago, so I'm familiar with Dane County.

I'm very familiar with that home in Wyocena you're talking about. Best one in the state in my opinion. My ex's mother and my ex have both worked at care centers since they were out of school and her mother always said that the one in Wyocena was where she wanted to go and was the best one around. It is certainly a small world.

Wisconsin is nothing extraordinary by any means. It's just your average place, but I love the greenery, and the rural communities, and the old-timey ways, though diminishing.

BoPeep

Practically Family
Just stumbled across this thread as it was linked to Rue's impending move which looks like it won't be Wisconsin, btw. Didn't know Pardeeville was such a gem! lol I'll have to make the trip some day. Seems there are more Loungers here than I realized. Does this warrant a mid-state meet-up perhaps?? :)

Bourbon Guy

A-List Customer
Go downtown to the Metra (UP) train station. Buy a round trip ticket to the end of the line. Get on. Ride it until it stops. Go home three days later, broke and hung over.

Sounds quite enjoyable to me! I know Rue's not moving to Wisconsin, as she said it would be out of the midwest. Sometimes, these thoughts derail and go wherever they please though, lol

Just stumbled across this thread as it was linked to Rue's impending move which looks like it won't be Wisconsin, btw. Didn't know Pardeeville was such a gem! lol I'll have to make the trip some day. Seems there are more Loungers here than I realized. Does this warrant a mid-state meet-up perhaps?? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy