Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Just what I needed...

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
I'm pleased to say that on the heels of my recent finding of a great dark Navy Blue 40's suit,(photos soon, it's on layaway..), I have now stumbled on a perfect match for it.

We were rummaging at the Forestwood Antique Mall here in Dallas, and they had a recent acquisition of men's hats. They were all the same size, and I just had a feeling that they had come from the same estate. I was as always about to give up on all these 7 1/8's when I put one on and it fit!( I'm 7 1/4).
It is a Dark Navy Blue Knox with 2 3/4" brim, in outstanding shape. Needs a cleaning, but on my head this thing looks new, guys. I'm pretty new to this, so I thought I was purchasing a non-vintage fedora.
Actually, it was retailed from Dreyfuss and Son in Dallas, and they were open in Dallas from 1911 to 1956.

Ligth-Photo.jpg

This darker pic actually shows the true color of the hat...next to my dark green vintage suit, it looks black.

Dark-Photo.jpg

Here is the Knox Label and inside lining...

Knox-Label.jpg

Here is the Dreyfuss and Son Stamp...

Store-Stamp.jpg

And as a bonus to me at least, the original price tag from Dreyfuss and Son, showing the original purchase price of $20, is still inside the sweatband. I just carefully moved the band back into place...

Price-Tag.jpg

I'm very pleased. For $35, this was a fine deal...

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
Thanks Stoney!

Here's the Bow and the liner...

Bow.jpg

liner.jpg

The liner is hardly yellowed at all, which is one of the things that made me think I had a newer hat..:)

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Lee Lynch said:
The liner is hardly yellowed at all, which is one of the things that made me think I had a newer hat..:)

Yeah, newer. You're a funny guy.
It's in great shape, though. Love that bow.
I note there's an interesting corrugation on
the leather sweatband in the back.

You 7 1/4 guys have no idea how you torture us
fatheads. I'm a 7 1/2 LO. If I found a treasure trove
of top make 40s fedoras in size 7 3/8 LO I would buy
them all and stretch them. But if you're a 7 1/4, you
can afford to wait till the next one shows up. Sigh.

Stoney

Practically Family
You see that odd twist in the center of the bow there...

It looks a lot like this one from a 1930's Knox, which I unfortunately lost the bid
on today. [huh]

1930sKnowBow.jpg

I also have a Francato Capello hat with a similar bow knot, the Capello has a 2" brim and quite a bit of taper in the crown. I'm thinking that both your hat and mine might date from the 1930s. I'd be interested to hear what some of the loungers that are familar with hats of that period have to say.

Here is a picture of the Capello.

Side.jpg

Ya know, Lee, if those other hats at that antique mall are anywhere near as nice as that Knox, and are priced more or less the same, I'd bet you could easily turn them over for a decent profit, and make a few guys a little bit happier in the process.

scotrace said:
Great find!
That hat looks 1920's to me. Anyone else think so?

Hmmm ...
Is that a Cavanagh edge? Or whatever Knox called their version of it? If so, when did Knox start producing 'em? (Brad?)
Or is it an overwelt? (Lee?) It's hard for my tired old eyes to tell from the photos.
And 20 bucks was a bunch of money back in the 1920s, and even through the '30s, wasn't it? Would that hat have cost that much back then? Or is that more typical of 1940s or even '50s prices?
Of course, some people didn't have such a rough go of it during the Depression. They may not have lit their cigars with 20-dollar bills, but they had 'em to spend on hats, I'd imagine.
So it beats me. Love the style, though, no matter its vintage.

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
What type of edge is it?

(I edited post to fix pictures)
It looks as if it's double stitched. Is that right? This hat looks very, very close to my recently acquired Knox Tom 'n' Jerry:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/album/576460762392657274/photo/294928804267226070/0
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/album/576460762392657274/photo/294928804267217139/1
Note the double stitching with an almost-metallic thread:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/jtban1/album/576460762392657274/photo/294928804267201566/3
Can you post pix of your brim edge? I wonder whether these are the same/similar hats with different liners and sweats?

Oh yeah - you got a steal.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Looks like your hat has COMFIT, a revolutionary sweatband process that looks cool while actually doing very little.

I'd say that's a '30s hat.

My knox has an edge that's like an overwelt, but with no stitching. It's like a cavanagh edge without the fade.

here's the lining in mine. Strikes me as very similar, other than that your hat cost 20 new, while mine cost 15.
IMG_3018.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
are you talking about the foam padding behind the corruations?
mine seems find, what happens to it over time?

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
Baron,

Yes, Dreyfuss and Son was well-known, and the onwer actually built a club in the White Rock area of Dallas (where I live!) for his employees to enjoy themselves in, which burned down last year :(.

I don't know what "self-welting" is, but the brim comes to an unsewn bump that is not sewn..

Lee Lynch

One of the Regulars
Snrbfshn and Tonyb,

Here is a closer pic of the brim.

brim.jpg

As you can see there is no visible stitching. It just comes to a bump. What is this called?

It has a high crown, if that helps to peg a time period...

hat2.jpg

Aliados,

Thanks for your input. As I've said, I'm not experienced with these things, but I, too, am motivated to think that $20 would have been awefully high for the 20's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou