Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping Cool: Fans and Parasols

MissHannah

One Too Many
Oh! Well there aren't any parasols on their website I don't think, but I can see that it might be the kind of thing that a costume shop would stock.

Aurora

One of the Regulars
There are two on the website, but it seems only one has a photo. The photographed one is lace, like Florence (?) from Little Britain!

Not a parasol, but there is a really cute umbrella in Marks & Spencers, in pink polka-dot or black polka-dot - £9.50 - In the ad they were showing them as parasols

Just wish the sun would come out to give me an excuse to buy one!

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
MissHannah, I actually bought the parasol (asian, not frilly) at Armstrong's & Son in Edinborough, but on the receipt the item was listed "Smiffy's". Armstrong's (a second-hand shop) sells a couple of Smiffy's items, like wigs and masks. This was the last parasol I saw there, that's why I reccommended Smiffy's, the main source! The parasol (I don't have a camera) is black bamboo and red paper with a pretty white swirl pattern.

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Miss_Bella_Hell said:
Here's a link to some of the fans.
http://gallery.mac.com/hjcanning/100008

Miss_Bella_Hell, I just saw your new avatar and it is gorgeous! That prompted me to go back to the fan thread and admire all your gorgeous new fans. However, your gallery is not working. Is it still up?

I love googley-eye fans. I can't help it. :p

For the Idonesian fans, you can probably use lightweight leather cleaner, or one applied lightly. I have some that are damaged too, and if you like, I can find mine and experiment on it first so you don't have to ruin yours.

Vintage Betty

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Betty said:
Miss_Bella_Hell, I just saw your new avatar and it is gorgeous! That prompted me to go back to the fan thread and admire all your gorgeous new fans. However, your gallery is not working. Is it still up?

It looks to be a .mac site....Unfortunately .mac has been replaced with another product and so the gallery is probably not up, unless MBH has already rehosted it somewhere else.

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Ohh good advice ladies! A gal can get a bit warm at a dance. I have about a dozen pretty fans from my flamenco dancing days.. I'll pop one into my dance shoe bag and i'll be ready next time.. As for the parasols, i'll keep my eyes open for one as it will also come in hand, if i can find a nice nylon one, to use every day.. I live on the Wet(West) coast of Canada and need an umbrella often!!

AllaboutEve said:
Have any of the UK ladies checked out this site: http://www.brolliesgalore.co.uk/acatalog/Bamboo_and_Paper_Parasols.html
I am so bowled over by the selection that I have honestly spent the last 2 weeks unable to decide which to buy!!!! Can't decide, paper or fabric? parasol or umbrella? lace or no lace? .....help!!

:eek:

needthemallnow

and so reasonably priced.

Would I look a silly walking round with a parasol...?

Edit; Parasols = reasonably priced...

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
dollydaydream said:
:eek:

needthemallnow

and so reasonably priced.

Would I look a silly walking round with a parasol...?

Edit; Parasols = reasonably priced...

Did you see these umbrellas too http://www.brolliesgalore.co.uk/acatalog/Vintage_double_canopy_umbrella_-_Romanelli.html? Can you see why it's been several weeks now and I still haven't made my mind up....

I have the parasol crisis too, but I figure that the more of us that have one the less "weird" it'll be.

Maybe we should have our own national parasol day????

AllaboutEve said:
Did you see these umbrellas too http://www.brolliesgalore.co.uk/acatalog/Vintage_double_canopy_umbrella_-_Romanelli.html? Can you see why it's been several weeks now and I still haven't made my mind up....

I have the parasol crisis too, but I figure that the more of us that have one the less "weird" it'll be.

Maybe we should have our own national parasol day????

Damn!! Stop showing me these umbrellas!!!! I'm not sure what Benjamin would think to me spending £40 on one! I do really need one though, what with all this stormy weather we're having here...humm...

And yes! National Parasol Day! Do I get a day off work for it?? lol

Inky

One Too Many
Rejuvenating old paper parasols??

I love my parasols. I have a small black silk/fringe more goth-styled one that I used at in our engagement photos. You can sort of see it in this engagement picture:

118209724_0d10f396e5_o.jpg

I also have two paper/bamboo ones, both pretty old (i bought them 20+ years ago) and they still operate quite well but the umbrella portion is very faded. I had a thought to decoupage tissue paper or even paint them, what do you gals think? Any crafty ideas welcome.

Here's the faded pink one:

2743916271_7fa55f1003_o.jpg

I also have a small collection of fans - now that we've started dancing (ok, if you can call it that, haha!) they will help keep me cool. Hmm...I wonder where I stored those away....

I'll do anything to keep cool and pale :D

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mrs. Inky - GREAT photos! Is that first parasol a new or vintage parasol?

In addition to congrats on your marriage :eusa_clap , I will have some interesting parasols and umbrellas shown which you might get some interesting craft ideas to appy to your parasol. Stay tuned and read more about the photos and tutorials below.

Here's a few updates for anyone who wants to know:

1) I found my old 800-page fan website. It took a while to find, and I'm quite pleased it still existed at all. I am in the process of deciding where to stage the site for your viewing, since I let the original domain go.

2) I took photos of my parasol and umbrella collection. 151 photos to be exact. :eek: Now I need to go through, delete, edit and crop the photos as necessary before starting to work on the tutorials. If you have already looked at some of my tutorials over at the Belts and Buckles thread and enjoy those, you will enjoy these as well. Quite a lot of eye candy.

3) In the process of taking the 151 photos of the parasols and umbrellas :eusa_doh: I found some that I would like to sell and I have started listing them for sale in the Classifieds.

Vintage Betty

Inky

One Too Many
Vintage Betty said:
Mrs. Inky - GREAT photos! Is that first parasol a new or vintage parasol?

Vintage Betty

Thank you Betty. We've been married five years this coming Halloween - a pretty good run so far ;)

The black/fringe parasol was purchased new at one of those very foofy stores that sells many lacy victorian-style goodies in Old Town, San Diego. I love it, even though it is new.

The paper ones were purchased new in Chinatown (LA) back in the 80's when my gothic/punk pallor was a priority and I never gave up the habit of staying clear of the sun.

I look forward to your tutorials. I tried to make an umbrella once years and years ago without much success.

bellabella327

One of the Regulars
All of you ladies have fantastic parasols and hand fans! I bought a parasol at a street fair where I live a few weeks back. It is a mint green color with printed flowers on it. I kinda wish I would have bought one in white/black, so it could go with more of my clothes.

I haven't used it to mush as I notice I get weird looks when I do. They sure are fatastic alternative to an umbrella. I used an umbrella to a zoo trip last year, and I got some of the weirdest looks, but I didn't burn...and I seen many others that did!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo