Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping Cool: Fans and Parasols

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Parasols in the U.K.

goldwyn girl said:
52-R1-17-8.jpg
A question to the English Roses:
Where can I purchase a parasol like this in the UK? I'll be visiting in May. If you know a place in London, please let me know the closest tube station and line. Otherwise I'll be visiting Nottingham, Newcastle, Stoke-on-Trent, and Glasgow.

Miss 1929

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tell me who they are

Mojito said:
Thank you, Dahliaoleander! I wish you could know how well timed your lovely words are - I had a bit of a backhander from someone I thought of as a friend over the weekend. When you dress a bit differently you come to expect comments from strangers and even from some of those in your circle (I've always accepted it as the price I pay to dress exactly how I wish and to be true to what makes me happy) but this remark - presumably meant to be part of the rough and tumble of conversation in our group - was quite nasty and quite unexpected. That I'd spent so much time trying to bolster the speaker, who suffers from poor self esteem, was what made it really hurt.!

So I can fly to Australia and smack them around. How dare they!
You are a creature of elegance and style, and they are probably just jealous.
We appreciate you!

Mojito

One Too Many
cherry lips said:
A question to the English Roses:
Where can I purchase a parasol like this in the UK? I'll be visiting in May. If you know a place in London, please let me know the closest tube station and line. Otherwise I'll be visiting Nottingham, Newcastle, Stoke-on-Trent, and Glasgow.
It is pretty, isn't it - you can buy painted silk versions in Thailand, and I've seen a great many down here in Chinatown and at Paddy's Markets in Sydney, both silk (or imitation silk) and paper. Perhaps you could get one in London in Chinatown near Leicester Square? I only used to shop for food there and don't recall if they had the same range of other imported Asian goods that they do in Oz.

Thank you, Mary and Miss 1929. The people close to me rallied around and shared your opinions on the subject - my sister in a phone conversation with my closest friend laughing that it was a good thing her daughter, my four year old niece, wasn't there and wouldn't have understood what had been said. If she had, she would have had "words" with the speaker - we're very close, and she loves what I wear...puts on my shoes (and boots!) to clump around in, loves to get dressed up in my velvets, and we have a ritual where I take out all my jewelery piece by piece and she tries them on. Frankly I'd rather have that little girl's good opinion than the person who had a dig at me.

Last_Chael

One of the Regulars
Mojito said:
Lola Valentine, there's considered nothing very odd in Sydney about carrying a parasol! It's a nod to our climate - we have high rates of UV rays and the skin cancers associated with them, so on a hot day I often see people walking through the city with them - sometimes specially made, sometimes just umbrellas. Many Asian Australians in particular have no problems with carrying them. Personally I always envy someone who has one on a bright day in glaring sunlight!

It's starting to become pretty common in Brisbane, though I would still sometimes get an odd look when I walked around with one. But with such fair skin in Brisbane weather (we don't really have winter in Brisbane, it's pretty much summer all year round with a bit of autumn; there's a reason it's called the Sunshine State :p) I really needed it! I was finding that I would be getting sunburnt just standing at the traffic lights!! But I really must find some pretty parasols, as all I've been using is ordinary umbrellas. I've been meaning to go to Paddy's Markets (as I hear so much about them) now I've even more reason to go! :D

I very nearly bought an off white lace parasol to go with my Victorian bustle dress, but realised it wouldn't get here in time :( One of the other ladies actually made a matching one for her outfit. She used a cheapy children's umbrella from a $2 store, took the frame apart and reattached the top part to the handle of a larger adult umbrella. Then she used left over silk dupion from her dress to cover it and added lace etc. It looked spectacular, though not very water proof :p I was contemplating making a matching one using left over fabric, but decided an off white one would go with more outfits than a burgundy/blue plaid one :p

MissS

A-List Customer
Mojito said:
Many Asian Australians in particular have no problems with carrying them. Personally I always envy someone who has one on a bright day in glaring sunlight!

LOL! Yes, I'll put my hand up and admit to being one of those, Mojito! I sometimes get weird looks, but must admit, don't take much notice anymore, as I've gotten quite used to weird looks over the years! I had a beautiful vintage chinese one that was given to me from a great aunt...until my puppies found it and decided to play tug a war with it! :mad: There were tears.

BTW, the pictures of you are STUNNING!

miserabelle

One of the Regulars
I just bought a gorgeous (but quite cheap) blue parasol from JOY, I'll post pictures when I have some good ones ^-^ xx

Miss_Bella_Hell

I just got a lot of fans from Freecycle. Well, the lady said I was first to email her so I get them! She said her aunt collected them in her travels.

I am soooooo excited!

miss_elise

Practically Family
i have a waxed paper one that i bought in chinatown... and i have a small lace one from venice (it had to be small to fit in my suitcase...lol)

if anyone gives me any guff i just shoot them a withering glare...icy cold on a hot hot day... :)

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
miss_elise said:
if anyone gives me any guff i just shoot them a withering glare...icy cold on a hot hot day... :)
Hahaha I LOVE this! I do that too. Or an icy cold smile... Moahahahaha!

Miss_Bella_Hell

Other side of the Gibraltar fan

DSCN0475.jpg

DSCN0478.jpg

Marked Seville, Spain
DSCN0479.jpg

Japanese fan from 1957 World's Fair
DSCN0484.jpg

DSCN0489.jpg

Marked Java, Made of Water Buffalo Hide and Horn
DSCN0490.jpg

Not marked, shows running of the bulls
DSCN0491.jpg

Marked Spain
DSCN0492.jpg

Marked Indonesia, Made of Buffalo hide and horn
DSCN0493.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
Absolutely gorgeous, Miss Bella Hella - you'll have the perfect accessory for any number of different outfits. The Gibraltar fan and the last gold and black one are particularly exquisite.

Miss_Bella_Hell

Mojito said:
Absolutely gorgeous, Miss Bella Hella - you'll have the perfect accessory for any number of different outfits. The Gibraltar fan and the last gold and black one are particularly exquisite.

Thanks! I love the Java Peacock one too. Unfortunately both the water buffalo horn fans are damaged so I could never use them, but they are incredibly intricate.

I can't believe someone just GAVE THEM AWAY FOR FREE!! :eek:

Miss_Bella_Hell

Miss 1929 said:
You should frame the fragile ones, they are so pretty!
What a treasure trove!

That's what I was thinking - maybe put them in a shadow box. I was wondering how I could clean them / get them cleaned, since they've quite obviously been sitting in a basement or attic for years.

cherry lips

Call Me a Cab
Miss_Bella_Hell, I'd be drooling over your fans if I wasn't afraid to ruin them! Unbelievably beautiful.
A note to the U.K. gals: I found my perfect bamboo (wood?) + paper parasol at Smiffy's!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran