Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping Cool: Fans and Parasols

Vintage Betty

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Spanish Hand-Painted Fan, circa 1920

Spanish Hand-Painted Fan, circa 1920

The paint colors are particularly bright on this fan, and I appreciate it's cheerfulness. One of the period items to note is that the painting was done on muslin, not paper. Look at the weave on the back of the fan, and how they cut the fabric. It's an excellent cut to hold the paint and hold it's shape after almost 100 years.

I haven't spent time on my identification of these fans for quite a few years, so if someone sees discrepencies in my identification, please let me know.

1920_Spanish1.JPG

1920_Spanish2.JPG

1920_Spanish3.JPG

Vintage Betty

Late 1800's (?) Hand Painted Wood Fan with Lace

Late 1800's (?) Hand Painted Wood Fan with Lace

This isn't a mourning fan, simply because it's black and lace and old. It's probably a dance or courting fan, due to the high quality of lace and the asian-style painting of the flowers.

Look carefully at the wood and hand-stitching - quite wonderful.

Black_lace_fan1.JPG

Black_lace_fan2.JPG

Black_lace_fan3.JPG

Black_lace_fan4.JPG

Vintage Betty

Late 1800's Bone, Lace and Sequined Fan

Late 1800's Bone, Lace and Sequined Fan

Another lovely fan, used for courting or dancing. Quite high end, very nice presentation with the lace and a modesty-type panel for the lady to hide behind. You can't see it, but this bone fan is also carved.

Unfortunately, the material has started to split from the bones of the fan.

Bone_lace_fan1.JPG

Bone_lace_fan2.JPG

Vintage Betty

1920's Paper Hand Fan

1920's Paper Hand Fan

Each green square behind this fan (and the other fans shown) represents one inch, so you can easily calculate the length and width of each fan.

Even though we think "Ooooh a Deco Fan!" in the Golden Age period these were quite common, due to air conditioning not being present, and high humidity in the Southern United States.

This was probably meant as an advertising fan, or as a promotional item.

While this fan is not in mint condition, it is considered in relatively good condition for a paper foil fan (See the silver backing? That is called paper foil [among other names], representing the color and reflection of the paper).

Deco_lady1.JPG

Deco_lady2.JPG

Vintage Betty

Miss Neecerie said:
They are all so lovely...

I am quite fond of the 'funeral home fan' myself....although they are not normally -pretty-.....

Which type do you like? The advertising ones? Or the ones commemorating the funeral?

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
About a year ago, I saw a paper "Elvis for President" fan on Feebay. Still kicking myself for not snatching it up! Of course, now that I look, it seems they aren't THAT rare.

57_1.JPG

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
Well, I just told my mum (who I'm going to Florida & New Orleans with) that I'm planning on getting a parasol for my holiday....she told me that she wished I would stop acting like such a weirdo :( lol. This has made me all the more determined. Do you think that's the general image of parasols, being carried by weirdos?!

drjones

A-List Customer
just an FYI

ladies...

Here in Arizona we have a Matsuri Festival every year. They have a myriad of fans and parasols for sale.

So if youre lucky enough to live here or travel here around that time...thats MY suggestion.

DRJONES

lyburnum

Practically Family
Lola Valentine said:
Well, I just told my mum (who I'm going to Florida & New Orleans with) that I'm planning on getting a parasol for my holiday....she told me that she wished I would stop acting like such a weirdo :( lol. This has made me all the more determined. Do you think that's the general image of parasols, being carried by weirdos?!

I think this is the general image of young women by their parents, when their children dress in vintage clothing. My Mother thinks I'm bizare. I can understand her reasoning though. She says that she spent her youth (60s&70s) rebelling against all the constraints women had in her Mothers generation (rollers, corsets etc), only to see my generation take it all back up again!

Lola Valentine

One of the Regulars
lyburnum said:
I think this is the general image of young women by their parents, when their children dress in vintage clothing. My Mother thinks I'm bizare. I can understand her reasoning though. She says that she spent her youth (60s&70s) rebelling against all the constraints women had in her Mothers generation (rollers, corsets etc), only to see my generation take it all back up again!

I totally agree with you. Whenever my parents (and even grandparents) start calling me strange, I remind them how most people my age dress, and that dressing classy is much better than dressing trashy.

Mojito

One Too Many
I love 1920s feathered fans - particularly the single or three pronged long ostrich coloured feathers. Rather useless as cooling devices go, but so much fun to waft around! The one in my avatar has the original feathers, but I purchased a moulded base with damaged plumes and use it as the base for coloured feathers to match different gowns. The wrist ring makes it easy to get out of the way if you need a free hand:

Aquafan.jpg
Feather.jpg

Mojito

One Too Many
Vintage Betty, love all the fan images you posted - but particularly the deco advertising fan! The graphics on these are just so marvellously evocative of the era.

TheKitschGoth

A-List Customer
I love fans and parasols, shame there's not much need for them in the UK lol

Though I do have a gorgeous black parasol with matching fan, in the vague hope the weather warms up..

Aurora

One of the Regulars
Lola Valentine said:

:eek: Weirdos? It used to be such a common image (lady with parasol), nothing weird about that... It makes good sense though - Hot, unhappy and sunburnt OR comfortable and carrying a parasol... Tough choice lol
Florida's hot though, isn't it? You carry that parasol with pride! :D

goldwyn girl

One Too Many
Mojito said:
I love 1920s feathered fans - particularly the single or three pronged long ostrich coloured feathers. Rather useless as cooling devices go, but so much fun to waft around! The one in my avatar has the original feathers, but I purchased a moulded base with damaged plumes and use it as the base for coloured feathers to match different gowns. The wrist ring makes it easy to get out of the way if you need a free hand:

Aquafan.jpg
Feather.jpg

Oh my, don't you look like the perfect flapper, I love the feathers. I have this vision of my self doing a fan dance like Sally Rand.

Vintage Betty, your fans are beautiful.

dahliaoleander

One of the Regulars
Mojito said:

Aquafan.jpg
Feather.jpg

Mojito- I would DIE to see someone dress like you in person! I would DIE to meet someone with that killer fashion sense. Hell, I think I'd just DIE to meet the real thing (glorious you). :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dumb Question: Do you dress "Gatsby/20's" In real life? In day to day drudgery life?

One of the Regulars

Lola Valentine-

Well, I just told my mum (who I'm going to Florida & New Orleans with) that I'm planning on getting a parasol for my holiday....she told me that she wished I would stop acting like such a weirdo

I get the same thing... I have practically nothing too into the "Scene" but a few repro jeans and tops and shoes and things but I do get the same response from my mother.

I just tell her, ultimatum-style "Would you rather I dress like a bobby-soxer or like a teen-hooker as is the usual in modern fashion?" She then relents and begins to appreciate wher I come from. lol

(She oughta- She got me into it with old Cary Grant movies and "Easter Parade" with Fred Astaire every weekend.:D )

Mojito

One Too Many
dahliaoleander said:
Mojito- I would DIE to see someone dress like you in person! I would DIE to meet someone with that killer fashion sense. Hell, I think I'd just DIE to meet the real thing (glorious you). :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Dumb Question: Do you dress "Gatsby/20's" In real life? In day to day drudgery life?
Thank you, Dahliaoleander! I wish you could know how well timed your lovely words are - I had a bit of a backhander from someone I thought of as a friend over the weekend. When you dress a bit differently you come to expect comments from strangers and even from some of those in your circle (I've always accepted it as the price I pay to dress exactly how I wish and to be true to what makes me happy) but this remark - presumably meant to be part of the rough and tumble of conversation in our group - was quite nasty and quite unexpected. That I'd spent so much time trying to bolster the speaker, who suffers from poor self esteem, was what made it really hurt.

I don't dress in 1920s vintage too much day-to-day (it's usually too fragile), but do wear a lot of twenties and vintage inspired, particulary Edwardian. Sometimes it might be a simple tailored suit or slip dress with a very elaborate Michal Negrin necklace, or a velvet dress. Funnily enough, people seem to have been conditioned to associate what I wear with vintage - I'm often asked if particular dresses or skirts I'm wearing are vintage.

One of the Regulars

Lola Valentine, there's considered nothing very odd in Sydney about carrying a parasol! It's a nod to our climate - we have high rates of UV rays and the skin cancers associated with them, so on a hot day I often see people walking through the city with them - sometimes specially made, sometimes just umbrellas. Many Asian Australians in particular have no problems with carrying them. Personally I always envy someone who has one on a bright day in glaring sunlight!

Mary

Practically Family
VintageBetty. I loved the fans. And the fact that you knew so much about them!That made me see details and how they were different from eachother.

Mojito. Loved the pictures of you. It's lovely when people go all the way and live their dreams!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran