Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Keeping seasonal traditions????

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
OK, now that's pretty cool, Rusty. Who knows how old my Supernaturals are but one of them has the owner's phone number penciled on a piece of paper inside the sweatband. It's a four digit phone number, if memory serves. The other one, the optimo crown, had a piece of paper dated in the '50s so it's at least that old.

The other thing I find interesting here is that the Sailor Straw hats are called "Sailor Straw" hats. I've always wondered about this and sometimes commented on it since my father and grandfather both called them by this term, but in modern times they are referred to as "Boaters" or "Skimmers" almost exclusively.

Stan

A-List Customer
I wore both today

Hi,

Well, this morning I was working on the farm - tilling and hilling the veggie garden, actually. I was wearing my poor old moth-bit felt hat I use for farming until around 1 PM.

By then, my farming was done for the day and it was time for lunch. Afterwards, I needed to head down to the retail store and relieve the Mrs. As I headed out the door, I put on my Panama version of the OR. ;)

At this point here in the Raleigh NC area, I have all my dark-colored felt hats put away in the closet. I'll still wear the light-colored felts for the next month or so, alternating with the straws as the temperatures shift around. After around May 1st or so, it'll be straw hats up until the middle of October for me. ;)

Later!

Stan

Goose.

Practically Family
Lefty said:
Hey openroad. Though we keep track of the rules, I don't think any of us enforce them.
(Well, maybe indycop;))
I never wear my white fedora after Labor Day.

And, I'm guessing, that if I did, IndyCop would make sure it's off my noggin and in his "protective custody" before I'm thrown in the crusier
:D

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
I'm with the idea of not liking straw so much. Partly because there's few warm enough days in England, and felt is also better as it protects against rain, which can unexpectedly come, even in summer. I wear a tan felt rather than a black one, as it's better in the sun. And I might also alter the colour of my clothing to khaki rather than black/blue/grey but I remain with a felt hat.

RBH

Bartender
Stan said:
Hi,

Well, this morning I was working on the farm - tilling and hilling the veggie garden, actually. I was wearing my poor old moth-bit felt hat I use for farming until around 1 PM.

By then, my farming was done for the day and it was time for lunch. Afterwards, I needed to head down to the retail store and relieve the Mrs. As I headed out the door, I put on my Panama version of the OR. ;)

At this point here in the Raleigh NC area, I have all my dark-colored felt hats put away in the closet. I'll still wear the light-colored felts for the next month or so, alternating with the straws as the temperatures shift around. After around May 1st or so, it'll be straw hats up until the middle of October for me. ;)

Later!

Stan

I have been doing a litle light farming myself!
The onions are looking good and I have gotten the asparagus bed ready for spring and also put out a few potatoes.
But what we need here is a few photos of that farm hat and a couple of the panama will be OK too!

HungaryTom

One Too Many
openroad said:
Does anyone keep to a old tradition that I heard of when I was younger of wearing only straw in the spring and summer and felt in the fall and winter?
Hey it is climate change one could break out straw hats several times a year or pack and unpack them if one really would go by the weather.:eusa_doh:

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
OK, this whole thing is making me laugh at myself because it's making me so crazy.

I really like to have some sort of logical pattern to things. It'd be one thing
if Florida weather tracked along that Memorial Day/Labor Day deal but it don't. Instead of four or so months of heat, we get 8 or more.

So, I really missed an opportunity the other day to make the jump to straws when they did the time change. Now, I notice that at my outdoor gig I'm sitting in sunlight and relative warmth well into the evening.

I'll probably just migrate over to straw wearing over the next couple of days letting the thermometer be my guide, but in the future I think when we "Spring Forward" I'll bring out the Panamas right then.

MattJH

One Too Many
Haha. There is way too much fuss in this thread!

If you're too hot in a felt, wear a straw.

If you're too cold in a straw, wear a felt.

C'mon now! :)

1OldGI

Familiar Face
It just occurred to me that I'm just about on track with Gene's plan. My use of straw hats commenced approximately on the spring forward day so I guess it's back to felt when we fall back.

Michaelshane

One Too Many
I'm waiting for a stetson panama to arrive.Some days its straw hat weather other days it's cold as heck.It's that time of year in N.M.Cold in the morning hot in the afternoon.Seems like I'm always waiting for a hat.....:)

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
MattJH said:
Haha. There is way too much fuss in this thread!

If you're too hot in a felt, wear a straw.

If you're too cold in a straw, wear a felt.

C'mon now! :)

That is what I do and the Hat Police haven't caught me yet lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo