Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kicking your coffee with hooch

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender
Fedora_Lounge_Mug_V2b_sm.jpg

I have read about this golden era practice...but I haven't be inclinded to try it. I keep my indulgence to the PM and I don't drink coffee at that time.

Has anyone tried this?

:coffee:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Depends on the beverage added. My Zio Rinaldo in Milan likes his espresso corretto (literally "corrected"), meaning with a dash of grappa in to counter the caffeine buzz.

Me, I like an Irish coffee or coffee royal now and then (an Irish with brandy in place of whiskey). There's also Scotch-Irish coffee, not with scotch, but with bourbon (the real Scotch-Irish whiskey ;) ).

Haven't tried the Portland Coffee yet, but it sounds appetizing. There's something not right about putting Kahlúa in your coffee, tho.

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
I do this on occasion, especially the morning after an indulgent evening. As much as I love a great bloody mary, I am usually not inclined to make them first thing in the morning with a headache lol

I adore putting bourbon in my coffee (Rye is good as well)! It's even better topped with homemade whipped cream. I also really like Irish coffees (here, made with Jameson and creme de menthe, topped with whipped cream), but I will usually only get those if I'm going out to brunch at my favorite Irish pub. Those are a nice pick-me-up late morning or early afternoon.

Another really great one is coffee+hot cocoa mix+baileys+vodka. Stick to one though....

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Visiting the in-laws a few years ago, we bought a bottle of Starbucks liqueur on the way in from the airport along with ice cream to put it over. Big Daddy only heavily hits the Scotch we have here at home...and drains them...and then harrangues everyone about the evils of liquor.

Knowing they'd never use the rest of it, I started doctoring my morning coffee on day one. And yes, I considered it as the only thing stopping me from having to kill dear old dad.

On the final morning there, the cat was out of the bag when coffee was running short and the other half had a couple sips of mine. "What's in this?" "The Starbucks. They'll never use it and I paid for it." "How long have you been doing this?" "The last four mornings." "And you didn't tell me - ba***rd! You let me sit four days listening to Dad drone with no fortification. ba***rd!" "He's your dad." "Quit reminding me!"

Kassia

One of the Regulars
Mike in Seattle said:
Visiting the in-laws a few years ago, we bought a bottle of Starbucks liqueur on the way in from the airport along with ice cream to put it over. Knowing they'd never use the rest of it, I was doctoring my morning coffee. I considered it as the antidote to my having to kill dear old dad. On the final morning there, the cat was out of the bag when coffee was running short and the other half had a couple sips of mine. "What's in this?" "The Starbucks. They'll never use it and I paid for it." "How long have you been doing this?" "The last four mornings." "And you didn't tell me - ba***rd! You let me sit four days listening to Dad drone with no fortification. ba***rd!" "He's your dad." "Quit reminding me!"

Ohhh good idea.. Note to self, take the flask next time you go visit your inlaws~! Mahahahahahahaaaaaa....

Panache

A-List Customer
I love good coffee (fresh ground each morning) and drunk black.

As much as I love cocktails, I don't feel that adding anything to a good cup of coffee makes it any better.

If I would like alcohol in the morning I would rather enjoy a mimosa, a margarita, or a screwdriver.

Along with a good cup of black coffee! ;)

Cheers

Jamie

KittyT

I'll Lock Up
Panache said:
I love good coffee (fresh ground each morning) and drunk black.

As much as I love cocktails, I don't feel that adding anything to a good cup of coffee makes it any better.

I love coffee, black only. I love cocktails. Doctoring your coffee doesn't make it better - just different.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Mike in Seattle said:
Visiting the in-laws a few years ago, we bought a bottle of Starbucks liqueur on the way in from the airport along with ice cream to put it over. Big Daddy only heavily hits the Scotch we have here at home...and drains them...and then harrangues everyone about the evils of liquor.

Knowing they'd never use the rest of it, I started doctoring my morning coffee on day one. And yes, I considered it as the only thing stopping me from having to kill dear old dad.

On the final morning there, the cat was out of the bag when coffee was running short and the other half had a couple sips of mine. "What's in this?" "The Starbucks. They'll never use it and I paid for it." "How long have you been doing this?" "The last four mornings." "And you didn't tell me - ba***rd! You let me sit four days listening to Dad drone with no fortification. ba***rd!" "He's your dad." "Quit reminding me!"

lol lol lol

Too funny! I wonder if my kids will be telling stories like these some day. :)

J. M. Stovall

Call Me a Cab
Mike in Seattle said:

Yes that Starbuck Coffee Liquor is good too, little different than Kahlua. We have a bottle at home for the weekends. :rolleyes:

Mike in Seattle

Mike in Seattle said:
Big Daddy only heavily hits the Scotch we have here at home...and drains them...and then harrangues everyone about the evils of liquor.

And I now have a traveling Martini set that I'm dying to whip out next time we're down for my night libation. The old poop is just going to freak when he sees that unpacked...

BegintheBeguine

No booze in coffee for me, but half milk if you don't mind.
I only drink Starbucks liqueur, bought on sale at the PX and way better than Kahlua, early in the evening because otherwise I'm afraid it'll keep me awake if I have it for a nightcap. The bottle's nearly full, and it tastes good straight, and I rarely drink anything straight.
Booze in coffee reminds me of the maintenance drinking of Matt Scudder, a Lawrence Block detective, who used the bourbon to get drunk and the coffee to stay awake.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo