Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kicking your coffee with hooch

SuperKawaiiMama

One of the Regulars
Black coffee and Whisky for me. No milk, no cream, nothing fancy. Nothing that makes it sweeter as I hate adding sugar. Not for breakfast (that's what champagne and bloody marys are for), but any time after 12 is fair game. Some how adding it to coffee doesn't count as "drinking" in my book. ;)

maggiethespy

A-List Customer
BegintheBeguine said:
No booze in coffee for me, but half milk if you don't mind.
I only drink Starbucks liqueur, bought on sale at the PX and way better than Kahlua, early in the evening because otherwise I'm afraid it'll keep me awake if I have it for a nightcap. The bottle's nearly full, and it tastes good straight, and I rarely drink anything straight.
Booze in coffee reminds me of the maintenance drinking of Matt Scudder, a Lawrence Block detective, who used the bourbon to get drunk and the coffee to stay awake.

I was going to bring up the Starbucks Liqueur myself. It is very popular with my co-workers. I'm a bit of a coffee snob though, but when you work in a coffee house, you become one. I prefer my coffee either black or with a little cream-- nothing else to muck up the flavour of the roast.

My cousin used to bartened and she made something she called an "Angel's Kiss," and if I remember correctly, the way she made it was coffee, chocolate syrup and peppermint schnapps.

I think coffee with Starbucks Mocha Liqueur and Peppermint Schnapps just might be good enough to be worth tainting the flavour of the roast...

Lone_Ranger

Practically Family
In the book version of "For Your Eyes Only," as Bond prepares for his mission, he buys a large aluminum flask, filling three quarters of it with bourbon and the rest with coffee.

Though I'm with carter on this one, I prefer a "Highlander" coffee, with Glenfiddich. ;)

With thanks to, "Make mine a 007"

http://007.atomicmartinis.com/fyeo.htm

rumblefish

One Too Many
Espresso with, of course, Anisette. Something served right after Sunday dinner. Coffee and cake came later in the evening.

And my favorite coffee spike, Galliano.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Coffee with illegal moonshine called "karsk" is the drink that Trondheim in Norway is famous for within Norway.

I must admit I imbibed a far bit at parties in the wee hours.

Bloody awful hangover from the stuff though.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
G'day Chris!

It's dangerous stuff. Quite often you'll get horrendously high alcohol, sometimes even up in the 90s so it's got a kick like a syphilitic donkey.

Just before we left there was some seriously dodgy homemade booze from Eastern Europe doing the rounds which was knocking people off and blinding them.

I usually try to stick to the scotch or gin for obvious reasons.

Mojito

One Too Many
The first time I tried something like this was back in the 80s - I was about 13 years old or so, and we were attending a dawn service at Changi War Cemetery in Singapore with a number of WWI and II Aussie vets. Following the service we were served a "gunshot breakfast" - coffee laced with rum.

I've been know to add a shot of Baileys as a supreme coffee indulgence, and because it's a long weekend here in Oz and I'm at a house party with a group of visiting mates, I did have a shot of Cointreau in my morning coffee today!

Ace Fedora

Familiar Face
Bailey's in the coffee is a Christmas morning tradition in my family... and an indulgence I'll cop to on the odd Sunday morning. Whisky (Irish or Rye) works well after a hard night.

Never, ever on a workday, though. I'd probably forget to go to work. :)

MK

Founder
Staff member
Bartender

No hooch today....but I did add cream, Splenda and hazelnut syrup.

FL_Mug_v2c.jpg

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
I've never put anything in my coffee - alcoholic or otherwise - until this morning.

Long story short -- It's been a rough week. Drove all night last Friday to Missouri because my father-in-law passed away. While there, the difference in climate and my allergies gave me what is basically a sinus infection without the infection, and I drove home all day yesterday with a miserable head.

My sweet elderly neighbor across the street, who was watching after our house and taking care of our cats, left a "Get well" card on my kitchen counter along with a bottle of coffee-flavored brandy to help me get better. So this morning, my coffee had a new kind of kick to it. I'm feeling better already!

Brad

de Stokesay

One of the Regulars
I don't drink coffee but adore tea. When camping I have been known to add dark rum to my morning tea. It's just the thing to get the day started when you climb out of your sleeping bag to find everything covered with frost (in July or August).

de Stokesay

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
Pre-Golden Age, as well....

"The Old Foodie" is a blog kept by a very interesting Australian lady--devoted, as the name suggests, to historical cooking. She's a good scholar, and seems a good cook....I'd like to be within walking distance to drop into her kitchen! Some of you, of course, may be so lucky...

At any rate, here's a mid-19C "kicked coffee" with fireworks to boot....just the thing, I think, for New-Year's Eve...

http://www.theoldfoodie.com/2006/04/just-like-real-thing.html

Enjoy! Take pictures! Let us see the results (in the cup....not in you, although that might be amusing as well :rolleyes: )

"Skeet"

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
We juice up the java about once or twice a year, usually at a Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner, and certainly at St. Patrick's Day dinner. Those are the occasions when coffee breaks out of the morning corral and gets served with dessert. It's almost always Bailey's.

davestlouis

Practically Family
All of these drinks sound tasty. Shame I don't drink alcohol anymore. I drink pots of black coffee at work everyday, and don't add anything more bracing than a couple of those little tubs of liquid creamer to my 20 ounce cup. When my hands start shaking, I know I'm properly caffeinated. Then I eat a cookie, or two. One of the benefits to working in a funeral home is that there's always food laying around.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo