Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Killer Buy? But what did I get?

JDCrockett

New in Town
Hey folks,
I just bought a 7x "Clear Beaver" hat on e-bay. :) It looks to be a soft felt
Open Road . Fedoralover mentioned it on another thread and said it was a killer buy,(which made me grin from ear to ear), but can someone help me out with some more information? I've been lurking here for about 2 weeks and I'm still
figuring out some things especially about vintage hats. I know beaver (especially
100%) is the best but what is "Clear Beaver" a good blend I hope? Can anyone give me a rough age on this hat? When I do get it I hope to be able to shape it myself. I've had some good sucess shaping felt western hats with steam, also
an Akubra Squatter, will this soft felt take and hold crown shapes in a similar
fashion? Thanks in advance for your help, (this is a great forum)
By the way here's a link to the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8314224322&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

ScottFree

Suspended
Hi JD, I have a near identical hat minus the features. My hat is 100% beaver and a very fine hat. Its a very thin hat as well is my only complaint and it does not retain its shape so well. While my hat is also labeled Stetson I understand it was actually ordered from the Biltmore hat company in Canada originally. Mine is a similar or exact color as well and yet is nearly worn out now.

Cheers

Scott

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
The 7X clear beaver means it is 100% beaver, the best you can get. You got an excellent fedora, as soon as you take the feathers off of course. If you price new fedora's from most hatters that are 100% beaver they are around $500. Fortunately here at the lounge you can get in touch with hatters that can make you one at about half that. Either way you can see you got one heck of a deal.

fedoralover

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Hi, I also just won a hat on ebay and wondering if I got a bargain or just a hat to wear in the rain.

It is a safari jungle hat, dark green, and is fur felt, called Finafelt. Anyone know what that is?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8315363862

Let's see if that brings it up.

Looks like the pugaree they were looking for in the Bwana thread.

Well, whatever, I didn't lose much money on it, and it looks like what I wanted. Will just have to wait and see....

karol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy