Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

King Kong countdown....

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Come on, ya big ape! Show me what you got!

th_tkong10.jpg

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
Then again, ever sit through a bad three hour movie? Every second is torture. :eek:

Yep, like the English Patient. Now that was a painful experience. I have never been so bored for so long before or since. I'm quite sure Peter Jackson's offering will be well received. I mean, Andy Serkis as Kink Kong and Lumpy the cook? How could you go wrong?:)
untitled.jpg
kk13pt.jpg

Fairly similar looking eh?

Cheers!

Dan

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
That, and since movies are so expensive these days, I not one for wasting a buck by walking out. I watched Battlefield Earth all the way through and it has to be the worst thing since Plan 9 from Outerspace.

I'm quite sure that this version of King Kong will be very good. Peter Jackson took so much care with Lord of the Rings to get it just right, because it was a good story that needed to be told the way he did. King Kong is another beloved story I think he'll do well with. Of course Jackson will put his spin on the story, but I think he will remain true to the original for the most part. He even gave it that softened looks of filmed mineatures and matte backgrounds in some scenes on Kong Island. Makes it look like an old 1933 fim but in color. Kind of like they did in Sky Captain. Heres to hoping that this doesn't disappoint.:beer:

Cheers!

Dan

Feraud

Bartender
I very rarely walk out of a film. My wife and I have sat through some real stinkers. She has been reading the online production blogs associated with Kong. I have avoided it in the hopes of being 'dazzled' by the production.

The original K.K. on dvd will be a treat.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Kong Hair Styles???

Was at the news stand looking @ Sci-Fi Monthly magazine they had a good number of stills, but was not happy to see several of the male principal actors hair that does not look period (too long/not slicked/sideburns) The female leads hair style did not feel 1930's. What gives??? Peter :cry:

PS The pictures already posted here say it all. Think Mr. Jackson got this part (sic) wrong so to speak!

Julius Xavier

One of the Regulars
KONG

This is going to be the top movie for awhile in my book I can already tell by the Teasers and Trailers that are accross the web. I think the only thing I looking forward too more is Superman Returns and that's another topic for another day...

3 hours long... okay... I can handle that. Even if the movie stinks (which I can't imagine happening) I'll still be in awe of the sets and Kong himself... plus being a collecter of Movie Props from Adventure Movies I'll be taking mental pictures of things I want or things I want to replacate myself.

Here's to Kong... Bring it on you big dirty ape.

120603681.jpg

Signing Off-
DocIndyJones

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Yes, this movie is certain to be 1000% better than the last recent one. Understand that the WETA Digital people created a computer program to duplicate 1935 New York City for me thats worth the price jus to see that. It was also noted that Howard Shore & Peter Jackson parted ways over the soundtrack for King Kong, too bad! From the clips I saw both Adrian Brody & Jack Black do not have period 1930's haircuts. I still have a gut feeling the movie will be terrific & of great interest to all Lounge members. Peter ;)

Doh!

One Too Many
Because Peter Jackson is behind the remake, I'm sure it'll be entertaining as all hell and I'm definitely gonna try to see it opening day.

But I hate CGI.

From the TV spots I've seen (never did catch the trailer in a theater), the majority of the film looks animated. Gorgeous, to be sure, but phony. It's strange to me that even though Jurassic Park came out 12 years ago, the T-Rex sequence is still the most convincing use of CGI to date. Probably because Spielberg was willing to hide it by mixing it with life-sized props of the dino. From what I've read, NOTHING of the ape is "real" in the new Kong -- not even his paw for Naomi Watts to sit in.

Time will tell, of course, but if all else fails, we fans of the original finally have a really good DVD to fall back on.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm looking forward to this movie. Back about 1971 I was involved with a tiny vintage theater that showed all sorts of classics and am proud to say I ran the original uncut version of King Kong for Merian C. Cooper and others instrumental in the film in 1933. It was cool!

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Twich, that sounds terrific as I just bought the new DVD 1933 King Kong uncut version. The big revelation is the quality of the restored version from the older much darker looking prints that I remember seeing years ago on TV as a kid. The original is still one of the all time Hollywood great movies! Peter :cool:

Twitch

Hey Solid Citizen- You know what I saw yaers ago that I liked? OK hear me out. it was a Ted Turner colorized version of King Kong. Wait. It was well after they began doing it and the process was good. They really ened up with what looked like a period color film. The colors were soft and looked sort of aged. Anyhow it would be a good thing to have if you have a good original print. Saw it on TV so I have no idea if it's obtainable for purchase.

The films we see aired on TV are sure lousy in quality sometimes. I'm glad they did Kong in DVD. It's a totally worthwhile classic that should be. I'm sure the new film will create an interest in people seeking t view the original too.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I'm quite sure Peter Jackson won't defile the story at all. Heck, he even put the lost 'bug canyon' sequence into his new film and tried to recreate it for the old film. He did a great job with LOTR, and from what I've seen he has a great love of Kong as well. I think he'll do justice to the film. My only rub thus far is with Jack Black. I'm still not convinced he's up to this kind of film. But, I guess we'll see.

Cheers!

Dan

jake431

Practically Family
Advanced Screening (no spoilers)

A buddy of mine just saw a final cut screening last night - his opinions?

1) At 3 hours, it was about 1 hour to 45 minutes too long and it could have been easily cut.

2) Some of the dialogue was hard to take - and much of the cheezy dialogue was from minor characters that didn't need such development in the first place.

3) The sfx was incredible and for that reason alone worth the price of admission.

4) The biplanes were cool!

Anyway, he gave it two stars, two and a half with a push from me. The original was better, he said (not a surprise I guess).

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Old Kong/New Kong

Twitch: I know what your talking about on that Turner colorization. I remember seeing both Errol Flynn's Captain Blood & the Sea Hawk colorized, soft colors with an aged look to it. Only saw each of those films once in that form.

DanielJones: Dan I concur with you on Jack Black based on the prior cheese roles he has had in other films, but Jackson appears to know what he is doing, so it should work out & maybe Black will get better roles in the future based on his work in Kong.

jake431: Yes, reading reviews on the film @ rottentomatoes.com that length issue has come up, many saying it was at least 1 hour too long. I'm certain almost everyone here at the Lounge will go see this movie for the 1930's threads & sets. One reviewer considers Jackson's film a "revival" as opposed to a "remake".

Peter :cool:

Twitch

The only other remake as such was the 1976 one with Jeff Bridges and Jessica Lange right? I felt Jessica Lange was a perfect heroine and she had that soft around the edges Golden Era look. And on a side not it is puzzling why she was never cast in much else of consequence when her career was at its apex.
Dunno.gif

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Well, not apex

The film was panned, badly. And she along with it. She didn't work for awhile and struggled until she proved her merit as an actress in The Postman Always Rings Twice with Jack Nicholson. She was written off as ditzy fluff.
She went on to do many tremendous things after that. But the Kong thing was a turkey for her. (it wasn't set in the golden era, remember? They moved it to the 70's, and made the search for oil instead of adventure the theme of it. Greedy Mega-corp vs. longhair enviromentalist (Jeff Bridges)).

I'm truly looking forward to Jackson's version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner