Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

King Kong countdown....

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I will admit here that I am afraid to see this. Not because of its quality or lack of quality. Looking at the trailors, I bet that it will be OK, but it will seem awesome because of the special effects, sound and large screen.

I am afraid to see it, because I know I will empathize with Kong. I don't know if I can take watching him get blown apart by airplanes. I'll probably have to see it alone to not embarrass myself. I'll be blubbering like a seven-year-old!:cry: :)

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Solid Citizen said:
DanielJones: Dan I concur with you on Jack Black based on the prior cheese roles he has had in other films, but Jackson appears to know what he is doing, so it should work out & maybe Black will get better roles in the future based on his work in Kong.

I certanly hope so SC. I just haven't been thrilled with the character selections that he has chosen. Most of them I think are just an outstretch of himself and not too much of a developed character. He may yet prove himself in this film, but it still remains to be seen.

Cheers!

Dan

Baggers

Practically Family
Hemingway Jones said:
I will admit here that I am afraid to see this. Not because of its quality or lack of quality. Looking at the trailors, I bet that it will be OK, but it will seem awesome because of the special effects, sound and large screen.

I am afraid to see it, because I know I will empathize with Kong. I don't know if I can take watching him get blown apart by airplanes. I'll probably have to see it alone to not embarrass myself. I'll be blubbering like a seven-year-old!:cry: :)

You and my wife. I think she said she cried when she finally saw the trailer a couple of weeks back when some friends of hers from work treated her to "Harry Potter" for her birthday. Everytime they run it on TV she just says "poor Kong..." and chokes up.

Really says something for a story when people can care about a fictional character that couldn't possibly exist in the real world to begin with, doesn't it? That's what good storytelling is all about.

I can't wait. We'll be there opening weekend come hell or high water. Anyone else in the Dallas area want to make it a "mini summit" of sorts?

Cheers!

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Solid Citizen said:
Understand that the WETA Digital people created a computer program to duplicate 1935 New York City for me thats worth the price jus to see that.

But you can see the real 1930s New York City (or at least some NYC sets and matte paintings made in the '30s) in the original KING KONG! No offense intended, but this reminds me of folks who flock to repro diners in their towns, while the original establishments die from lack of patronage. Granted, my analogy is imperfect: in most towns, there probably aren't any original diners left. At least the original KONG is available at most video stores.

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm getting more excited about the new flick. With the possibilities of computer graphics today we don't have to wish the biplanes were the proper ones since there are none flying anymore and all the other things that can't exactly be reproduced. The original was the original and there is no taking away from that but with superb CG the special effects can be awesome without making excuses for the era.

The ability to make scenes fast-paced is going to blow us away. The previews of Kong and the dinos are great. They're swiftly and purposfully moving and thrusting in deadly combat as Kong deftly protects her by moving her to his other hand while pounds the big lizards. Where he leaps up to snatch the wing of the biplane on top of the Empire State is so dynamic comapred to the lethargy of sort of just hanging bewilderdly about updates the vision of the script well.

I also like the idea that Kong is not just a love struck ape gone ga-ga over some blonde dame! The script makes him mature in age and interested in her as some sort of companion instead of a misplaced girl friend.

Ok I'm wound up now......:cool:

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Twitch, just got back from seeing the film Narnia, highly recommended! In the lobby they had a huge promo photo from Jackson's King Kong with the girl standing between Kong & a TRex. WOW, if the rest of the film looks as impressive as this still photo then I can't wait! Kong no doubt will be 2005's biggest movie in boxoffice & principal actor (sic). Peter :beer:

Steve

Practically Family
I have to say that I've looked forward to this film more than any other this year. Heck, ever since Lord of the Rings I've been following peter Jackson's stuff. The trailer looks alright, but the CGI on Kong does look fake. I mean, in that scene where Ann walks out of the mist and Kong turns around to look at her, his fur seems to be bathed in some sort of unnatural light on the edges. After Gollum, I was hoping Peter could pull off better. That said, I feel sure that once the movie gets going I'll be sucked in, much like when I saw Spider-Man, the digital double looks jerky at first, but once you get used to it it looks as normal as the real people on the street.

I've actually never seen the original, so I'm not completely familiar with the plot, so correct me if I'm wrong on a few things here. I think it will hold up well to the new audience; although a director going all the way to some mythic island just to film a picture seems a bit far-fetched.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
1933 King Kong REQUIRED Viewing!!!

Steve, you need to see the 1933 orginal, next Friday Peter Jackson will once again stun viewers with his 2005 "revival" of HIS favorite movie the 1933 King Kong which was a cinematic national mind blower during the Great Depression. I plan to watch my 1933 Kong DVD & go see Kong 2005 on the same day.

KONG the 8th Wonder of the World! (PS this ain't no, Curious George)

BixChix26

New in Town
Kong lives

The special effects and digitally enhanced/reproduced version of old Manhattan are supposed to be stellar. Article in Chi Tribune the other day about how this picture will set the standard for how the past is depicted in future films.

I can't wait. The original Kong still holds up, IMHO, but it will be great to see it done up in true '30s style.

The 1970s version with Jessica Lange was horrendous.

Laura

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Last night TCM played the original 1933 King Kong and parallel with that AMC was playing the 1976 version. Wow, that was just day and night there. I can't wait to see Jacksons offering. Complete with the bug canyon sequence.

Cheers!

Dan

Vornholt

One of the Regulars
I noticed the same movies last night myself. Wish I'd known the original was on earlier, I'd have watched it again.

I thought the gorilla suited actor in the 76 version looked like something out of a bad Godzilla movie, complete with cheesy miniature buildings. Very, very sad...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner