Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

King of Cool A2 (Hilts, McQueen)

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Anyone actually bought one of these? I remember some threads talking about it but no one seemed to have handled one, it's quite expensive, for not knowing where it's made and any additional photos.

regius

Sorry folks, this is not what I meant. I literally meant the "King of Cool" Escape A2. Marketed by the company, King of Cool.

regius

King of Cool customer service has confirmed that their Hilt jacket is made in Scotland. SB????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
If it was an SB A-2, it would have looked pretty rum as their standard pattern is just a rough approximation of an A-2, rather than an actual contract.

Gav

Practically Family
It even mentions aero on the king of cool website...

"...Not for comfort. We could have sourced and used the exact same leather, in fact, Aero Leathers use it in many of their jackets and, for 100% authenticity, this is what we should have gone with..."

regius

Yea, noticed that. But still good to obtain first hand proof. Surprisingly no one did a review here. Ken said it's their 40s collar stand model, I think he meant the 1711, a '38 model with collar stand as the 3785 has no collar stand anymore.

Edward

Bartender
Worth double checking with Aero. The only place I've seen KoC stuff on sale only at Motolegends, who also have the Aero 59er Highwayman in stock (they have a contract with Aero for a set number of those per week). They've also sold the ELC jacket in the past, and I'm sure I did see an Aero A2 on their site at a time, but can't swear to it. If they say Scotland, Aero seems the most likely, given all that. The sb A2 looks, to my eye, much more like one of those later 50s civilian approximations with a different fit, but to be fair I've never seen one on the wild.

regius

Thanks! Good news, I have photo confirmation that the current KoC A2 is the Aero 3785, will upload photos soon. I also just bought one so will review!!!
Ken also confirmed.

I had a goatskin SB A2 before, it's pretty fat, so yea, more like a civilian jacket, also, had a loose ring snap, pretty pissed. otherwise the construction was solid.

regius

dcaf6c606991517b01abaf17396a573e.jpg
2174de969da5be9cd460e8301e34fe5a.jpg
04497e2cddefc093fc6d51e4c41044b0.jpg
ffc17af6b8dce2916648514477975683.jpg

Edward

Bartender
If memory serves, the original Hilts jacket was a later issue (1942 or thereabouts), and they tended to have a boxier fit.

Colour looks good - I always was struck by how the Hilts jacket looks almost black on some scenes in the film.

regius

Although it's a well established consensus that the actual Escape jacket was a RW, re-dyed, i often wonder it must have been a large size for McQueen, looking at the way the whole back and sleeves and shoulder drape on him. Interestingly, I could only re-create the feel by wearing a two size larger Eastman RW, or, an Aero! The Aero pattern just lends that look even if it's the wrong mfg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21