Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kirby Vacuums

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
This seemed like the best place for this; if there's a better spot, please migrate it there...
So, my sister's ex came to her house today to demonstrate a Kirby Vacuum. I went in with only the hope of NOT making fun of him, but...wow. Does anyone own one of these things? If so, is it really as amazing as they make it look? Most importantly, is it really worth $1800? Thank god I didn't have that much cash on me, because I would have totally bought one...

BakingInPearls

One of the Regulars
My mother had a Kirby vacuum that she got second hand and after 50+ years of service we finally had to put it down. It was the best vacuum I have ever used but just a warning if you are vacuuming small area rugs have someone stand on the edges because boy howdie that thing will suck the rug right up in it!

DancingSweetie

A-List Customer
I recently bought a used one on Ebay for $100, I think it's from the 80's or 90's. So far I love it. I also bought a box of all kinds of attachments for about $25. I like them because they look more like vacuum cleaners used to look, rather than the ugly plastic things available now.

Lulu-in-Ny

A-List Customer
DancingSweetie said:
I like them because they look more like vacuum cleaners used to look, rather than the ugly plastic things available now.
That's what I kept saying-"Oooh, it's so retro looking, all chrome and whatnot.
BakingInPearls said:
because boy howdie that thing will suck the rug right up in it!
I am totally going to find every opportunity I can to use the phrase "boy howdie"!lol

Josephine

One Too Many
My mom got one in the late 80's and dear God it was HEAVY. I don't think I can emphasize how HEAVY this thing was. I was 20 in 88 so I wasn't a wimpy preteen. I did not like vacuuming with it. But boy howdy it was a work horse!

~*Red*~

Practically Family
They still are HEAVY!

I bought one from a kid my husband was trying to recruit into the Marines, (he thought I was doing him a favor, but it really ended up better for me! ;) )

That thing has lasted longer than any of the other 5 machines we've owned. I don't have the shampoo attachment, just the vacuum and accompanying attachments. That thing kicks! Mine isn't as cool as the older ones, but it's awesome. The only other vacuum I really like are the Dyson vacuums. My folks have one and sometimes I wish I had one too, just because it is way lighter than my Kirby! But I'll never give it up.
They seriously last a lifetime. The gym I used to go still used one that was at least 50 years old.

Weston

A-List Customer
Mine is Grandmother Weston's from 1956. Works like a dream. However, don't pay too much. Do a google search for deals on Kirby sweepers – the cheapest is to get them from eBay new, but my mom a couple years ago talked down the salesman to $600. That top price is super inflated – I wouldn't pay half the original price.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I have one that's around 22 years old, and boy howdie, does it ever do the job! I didn't pay very much for mine though. This is how it came about. A Kirby salesman came around and asked if he could do a demonstration using the rug shampooing attachment. As I had a section of carpet that really needed it, I said "sure". After it was all said and done, he told me that the price of the vacuum was $1600. :eek: I said that's well out of my price range, so he offered his demo model to me at $1200. :eek: Still out of my price range, I told him and he left without a sale. :mad: Two weeks later I was at an auction where there were two Kirbys. I scarfed up an '86 model (with all the attachments) for $35. :) That's more within my budget! If that salesman hadn't been by a couple of weeks before I probably would not have given them a second look. I'm glad I did, as it's the best vacuum I've ever owned. :eusa_clap

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I grew up using a handmedown Kirby that probably dated to the late 40s. It finally broke after about 45 years of service and I'll bet it could have been repaired if my mother had spent more time looking for a good shop. Modern ones just don't compare.

Luddite

One of the Regulars
Yes, expensive they may be, but what other vacuum cleaner offers such a selection of attachments, including one for sanding down paintwork, and (hopefully) another for massage!

Micawber

A-List Customer
Yes we have had a G4 for some years. My wife cannot carry it upstairs so it is confined to the ground floor. The machine has been very reliable, very repairable and nicely efficient. I would not pay full retail for one.

staggerwing

One of the Regulars
My parents had one that was older than I (1956). As I recall, it was around until about 1970 when they moved into a hose with a central vaccuum system.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Heavy, expensive, and probably worth it.

Like some others, I grew up with one in the house (well, where else would you keep it?!). lol It did a great job but I remember that the biggest feature for us was that it had a buffer attachment that was a beast (for hardwood floors). Every summer we'd take every piece of furniture outside. Vacuum the floors then clean vigorously with mineral spirits (I still get high thinking about it!) :rolleyes: Then the Kirby'd come out and dad would be there all day buffing away! Floors looked great but you had to yell for several days for him to hear you! [huh]

It has too many other attachments to name but I do remember one other "benefit" (contrary to my original post, I hasn't any attachments to speak of!:eek:). You get to keep the same model for the rest of your life (I happen to know the darned thing is willed to me and still sitting there!!) :eusa_doh: The reason, as a certain add points out, is that the motor, etc is completely re-buildable!! So every few (or dozen!) years it would slow down a bit and dad'd take it in where they would replace brushes or whatever it needed and clean it up and back home it would come!! :eek:

Bingles

A-List Customer
I never noticed that this thread existed.

My Grandmother had a Kirby Sanitronic VII from 1960. I loved playing with it as a kid, and it reminded me of the character "Kirby" from my favorite childhood cartoon, "The Brave Little Toaster".

It was an amazing machine, but the bearings gave out in 2003 causing it to SCREAM when you turned it on.. so we threw it out. Little did I know, my grandmother.. being the original owner.. could have sent it back to be rebuilt for only cost of shipping!! I cry now thinking we threw it out.

I just bought a completely rebuilt and polished 1967 Kirby Dual Sanitronic 80 from ebay.. should arrive next week. I CAN'T WAIT! It's the last year they made them looking like the one my grandmother had before they switched over to an even larger size vacuum.

I'll post pics when I get it.

What's awesome about Kirby... EVERY part on them can be easily replaced. Seriously.. every screw, bolt, bag, belt, even furniture bumpers can be replaced.. and cheaply too if you buy them on ebay. They are designed to last forever.. and when the do fall apart.. are designed to be fixed rather easily.

No, I would never pay what they charge for one of their machines now.. but I don't intend on replacing the Kirby that's on it's way anytime soon. :)
2n9cty.jpg

jtrenalone

New in Town
My wife and I still have the kirby that we received as a wedding gift (25 yrs) Still works great..I still remember very vintage kirby my grandmother had. I wish I still had it, and could post some photos,

Joel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner