Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Latest acquisition

Strider

One of the Regulars
Finally won my first vintage lid on eBay. Once I put a thicker grosgrain ribbon on it, I'm gonna be in love. It's a Stetson.

ef_1.JPG

9c_1.JPG

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
You have a winner

Now THAT is what you want in a vintage hat. The inner liner is pristine, and the sweatband looks unworn. The exterior felt looks good too, but cannot tell from the pics. If no mothing, then you have a prize. I suggest a wide grograin ribbon to replace the open road style of trim. Looks good!

Strider

One of the Regulars
I was thinking maybe a black (or very very dark brown) 1 1/2 inch ribbon, possibly an even 2". It's also got a wind trolley on it, which adds to the flavor of the hat to me. I really like the bound brim, too. It looks like there is paper stuffed into the sweat, possibly to pad the hat for a smaller head. I'll most likely take that out.

Strider

One of the Regulars
I guess I'll have to wait 'til it arrives. Who knows what I'll think about the ribbon situation when I actually see it. [huh] My first guesses are just to see how it looks with a thicker grosgrain. Thanks for the compliments, all! I really appreciate.

matei

One Too Many
Cool lid! Congratulations!

I have a similar hat on which I am going to have the thin ribbon replaced with a grosgrain one. Does anyone here have any pics of this type of transformation?

The thin ribbon just doesn't look that good on me... in my opinion. Perhaps I'll grow to like it.

Strider

One of the Regulars
matei said:
The thin ribbon just doesn't look that good on me

It sort of reminds me of a cowboy hat. The crown also seems unusually tall, but a thicker grosgrain ribbon will play that down a little. Doesn't seem to be pinched in the front at all. I'll have to fix that. ;) I'll post pics of it on my head when it gets here. :D

Strider

One of the Regulars
New pics

Here's the hat when it first arrived.

100_0196.jpg

And here's a picture with it after I shaped it, replaced the ribbon and gave it a different bash. It came with a center dent, I gave it more of a C-crown/teardrop. I like it more that way. I know hat pics are all about mug shots, so here ya go! ;)

100_0204.jpg

Strider

One of the Regulars
That's 1.5 inches (I believe) black grosgrain. I like the C crown bash on it more than I liked the center dent, and the crown also loses a lot of height illusion with the ribbon. It's a mirror photo.

matei

One Too Many
Very nice indeed. I wasn't sure how the wider ribbon would look with the thin one on the bound brim, but they look fine together. :eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda