Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Learning how to dress, the journey begins.

Misguided

New in Town
First off, allow me to introduce myself to this forum. I'm a 21 year old college student with an overly eclectic background that has left me facing adulthood with absolutely no idea how to present myself in formal situations. I can groom, maintain, and be appropriate...But lack any real experience in color matching, selecting outfits for occasions, picking accessories, or simply feeling comfortably in anything other than cotton. After lurking for a while, I've finally come to this forum for help from the masters.

I have to dress formally for department meetings with my job, academic functions with deans and professors, conventions, speech competitions, and a growing number of social occasions that require more class. I'm also a first degree Freemason who accordingly has to learn how to dress out of respect while showing my own colors. Here's what I have to work with: I am 5'6 and a half, 127 pounds with a distinct taper from a forty inch chest to a twenty six inch waist. No arms to speak of, legs are developed from my work as a fencing instructor. I travel internationally quite a bit, have grown my wavy hair out past my shoulders to blend into some cultures and appear non-threatening. I'm quite fond of fedoras casually...But wear them properly on my brow, matching them to my outfits and always following respectful protocol regarding their use. I have to buy cheap, am working my way through school and can't afford anything finer. I own a total of four ties, two of which were given to me last week...That should imply how limited my wardrobe is so far.

I'd like to thank this forum as a whole for giving me indirect advice and guidance so far, and hope that as the years go by I can develop some sense of style when it comes to dressing like a professional.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
taper from a forty inch chest to a twenty six inch waist.
A 14 inch drop will make OTR suit buying very problematic. You'll need to buy separates or MTM/bespoke. Of course sportcoat and odd trousers will be less of a problem.

Misguided

New in Town
Thanks for all the responses! Being a tiny fellow is indeed a challenge, even finding a pair of jeans can take months. As for a picture...First off, you here's a comedic piece that went viral. The picture on the left is at my college orientation, the one on the right was taken yesterday. You may stop reading my posts after seeing what I've done to myself. The facial expressions matching was accidental, this is now getting emailed around to friends for a laugh.
407834_2713773960986_1156020156_32541094_306351271_n.jpg

As for my wiry body...I don't have any formal pictures, but this one shows my general frame and how slight padding (in this case a light overshirt) hangs on me.
34449_1411209757695_1156020156_31077501_5752668_n.jpg

I have a strong preference for earth tones and things being simple and conservative. I'm not flashy or garish, the most 'bling' I wear is a patriotic lapel pin. Would prefer earth tones but may have some colors that would work on me that I'm not aware of, yet. So far I only own sport jackets and ties, will get examples posted as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner