Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

leather jacket for outdoor work

Mark Ricketts

One of the Regulars
Although finer jackets are normally discussed here, I thought you might like to hear about a new jacket that instantly became a beater. Thanks for the inspiration for this thread mfanoni, these are some of my experiences actually using a leather jacket for outdoor work.

First to list my requirements. I wanted a leather jacket that looked good from a distance, rather than a fine work of art as a collector's piece. I already have proper cold weather gear, so it was to be used mostly in Spring and Autumn. Comfort, and the ability to move quickly were important, a jacket that does not break in and still stands up on its own after five years is no good to me. It had to put up with moderate wet, and all the rough and tumble you see on a typical farm. All of this at a price point that would not be too upsetting when it inevitably got damaged.

The jacket I ended up with was a Schott made, dark brown mil-spec goatskin Indy, produced for US Wings. As with anything made by Schott the quality was excellent. The panels were well matched for both colour and grain. For some reason the leather on the arms was somewhat lighter weight, but I do not know if this was accident or design. However, the whole jacket was bizarely oversized, for the quoted size, and the arms in particular suffered from elephantiasis.

If you have seen the films, you know the Indy jacket moves well and is a joy to wear. The goatskin only took about forty hours of wear to break in. The body of the jacket does not lift up until my arms are well above my head. Even the oversizing issue is not a problem, it really does not look the best, but allows for more layering. The leather itself provides protection from wind, but no insulation. What surprised me was how fragile the goatskin is, although it is "mil-spec" and has a reputation for being a tough leather. The first day out, two large chunks of finish were knocked off the arms whilst I was in the bush. The side straps look mangled after only a month of use, and even rubbing from bales of hay leaves permanent marks. Before long I will look like the best dessed tramp in the parish, which defeats the original purpose of having a smart/work jacket.

All in all, a goatskin Indy jacket would be good for someone working outside in a less demanding environment. Am I happy with the jacket? Yes. Would I do the same again? Probably not. I would stick with the tried and tested combination of WWII style leather jerkin over a wool coat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lindawalters