Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather Jacket with Orvis Moleskin Vest?

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Shirts to go with a vest

Hi-dee-hi. I usually post on outerwear but this isn't about a leather jacket. Long story short: I just bought a really nice Orvis Moleskin vest because I wanted to use my pocket watch and chain and needed a pocket. I'll probably always wear it with jeans. What kind of shirt goes with it? First off is the collar. Most shirts are button down. I think it was called "Ivy League" when I was a kid. Does a (modern?)button down shirt go with something that was purportedly copied from a shooting vest used by Edward. Prince of Wales around 1930? If not, what kind of shirt/collar would be perfect perfect for a book club meeting or similar.

I was planning on wearing it with some nice Brooks Brothers or similar long sleeve shirt, rolled up to below the elbows. I think it goes nicely with a denim "work shirt" too , which don't have button collars usually in my experience. The lady at Orvis said maybe you could wear if with a turtleneck, of which I have a nice one.
Anyone who can educate me on vests, please do so. I already know not to button the lowest one.

Last edited:

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
With jeans I would wear soft collared shirts that don't look like "business-shirts" (which often have white spread collars).
Buttondown is good or chinstrap chambray shirts. Maybe some chino-type twill too.

Don't worry about the Prince of Wales in 1930. He doesn't got to the same book club as you.

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
I want to wear my Orvis moleskin vest, especially because I want to wear a pocket watch and gold chain. I have a car but when possible I like to take my motorbike and wear a leather jacket (probably an A1 for this occasion) From a style point of view, could a person wear jeans, suitable shirt, Orvis moleskin vest (with gold chain) and arrive in an brown leather Lost Worlds A1, or is it one or the other?

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Can You Wear a Orvis Moleskin Vest Under a Leather Jacket

I have this really nice Orvis Moleskin vest (the kind without the lapels) and I'd like to get some wear out of it. The thing is, unless I'm going a distance or it's just too much for some other reason, I usually take my Vespa these days. That means I'm wearing some kind of leather jacket, though not necessarily a biker jacket. So can I pull it off (literally)? For example, undo the jacket in my avatar (and/or take it off) and underneath is an Orvis moleskin vest and a nice button-down shirt?

I figured someone here would know on the theory, "You gotta go hunting where the ducks are."

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Relax man, it's fine. There are no rules and you can wear what you want. That vest under a leather jacket with whatever shirt will not offend anyone. Enjoy!

Last edited:

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My Filson moleskin vests are even more casual than your Orvis, and I have worn my Filson with just about everything except a suit. The layering of a vest provides significant warmth and is very functional and even stylish.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Tattersall or chambray would fit the bill. Can't get behind the turtleneck/vest combo.

IXL

One Too Many
I have lots of vests and wear them with just about anything. There are Filson wool vests in both standard and western style, and moleskin standards. Schaefer brand, as well as Scully is in the mix. Any leather jacket, including Perfecto style, café racer, or western are thrown in as well. I usually wear a pocket watch only when donning the cowboy style vests, just because.
About the only shirt I don't couple with a vest is a tee shirt. Button down collars are fine for me unless the shirt is intended for a three-piece suit.
This is how I do it, but remember, I'm an Okie!!

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Long story short: I just bought a really nice Orvis Moleskin vest because I wanted to use my pocket watch and chain and needed a pocket.

Only thing that I'd add, is to suggest another means of attaching your fob watch - for less dressy occasions/jackets, I often use my late uncle's leather fob (a little like these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Two-vintage-leather-watch-chains-fob-watch-1920s-/181185151045).

Just looks less affected with the leather jacket (I often wear a capeskin A-1, waistcoat and jeans too).

Vespizzare

A-List Customer
Sorry boys and girls, I messed up (again). I meant to post on outerwear and suits, but did both on outerwear. I'd already decided not to go with spread collar and just bought on the internet a really nice button collar shirt (also from Orvis). As far as the rest of the advice that it's ok to wear a vest with a leather jacket, "Thanks a lot." I heard what I wanted to hear which is always preferable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy