Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jackets? Goatskin? cow? lamb? Other?

Jacket leather - goat? cow? Lamb? other?

• Goatskin

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • cow

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • lamb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

davidraphael

Practically Family
Which are the most durable and what are the pros and cons of each?

I'm asking because someone is offering me a 'cow leather' jacket, and normally I'd be looking for goatskin.

Edward

Bartender
Eee, how long is a piece of string? Not to be obtuse, but I don't think you can decide on the basis of the species from which the skin is taken alone - how it is tanned, how thick it is, and all sorts comes into play too. FWIW, as a general rule, lamb is thin and light. Can be a bonus if you want something for Summer wear, though I avoid it as it always seems to fragile for what I personally want out of a leather jacket. The most durable stuff I have is either my Aero FQHH or my Aero goat, probably - the horse is heavier, but the goat shows much less in the way of wear. Come to think of it, the Aero steerhide jacket I have is the same thickness as the FQHH, but much more pliable and softer out of the box, as it were.

I wouldn't rule out cow - I've had some great cow jackets over the years - but I'd want to see it first before I sunk big money into one.

davidraphael

Practically Family
I'm a real newbie when it comes to leather jackets (as you can probably tell)

I'm thinking about an A-1, or A-2 flying jacket, probably the former. (Or, at a push, perhaps a barnstormer)

Peacoat

Bartender
Edward gives you good advice.

Horse and cow are heavier than goat, but goat seems not to show signs of wear. I personally like a good broken in hide that looks like it has been worn and has developed character in the form of patina and grain. Goat gives little of that. I have a goat jacket that is years and years old, but it shows no signs of wear.

Generally, I have found horsehide to grain out better, and to become more gnarly than cowhide, but I have see the opposite as well.

Just depends on what you want and how long, or short, you want Edward's piece of string to be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner