Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leather jackets?

Doublegun

Practically Family
For years I have wanted the perfect leather jacket. Not too short, but not too long. I have also like jackets that have a belt across the back and are adjustable. Pretty much exactly what Areo offers in their Long Half-belt. However, what I don't want is a jacket that looks cheap because the leather has been stained/tanned to look old or vintage. As much as I would like to have a well worn jacket, I am happy to put in the wearing myself so it becomes an old leather jacket. I also want the leather to be fairly heavy - something that will last a lifetime but break-in over a season of use.

Other than Aero, are there any other manufactures out there to consider? From those of you who already have jackets from Aero, what leather would you suggest?

Thanks again.

Jay

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
The long half belt isn't the only Aero that fits your description.

Here are some others to consider....

1930's Half Belt
1930's Cossack
Californian
Hercules
Half belt deluxe

norton

One of the Regulars
I was looking for something similar and end up choosing this: http://www.flightsuits.com/leather_expedition.html

Gibson and Barnes quality and service is second to none. This is slightly longer than waist length and does not have elastic or knit cuffs. It doesn't have the half belt in back but it does have adjusters on the sides. Unfortunately the picture on the web sight sucks. There are much better pictures in the threads at COW: http://www.indygear.com/cow/

Even if your not into indy, as I'm not, this is a very nice vintage looking yet jacket that still looks appropriate today.

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
Gibson and Barnes (flightsuits) makes excellent jackets.....I have a few.

Keep in mind that the Expedition (it's an Indy jacket) is very lightweight and really only suitable for warmer weather. If you're looking for a three season jacket this one isn't it.

bobjones

A-List Customer
Daniel Hunter said:
Gibson and Barnes (flightsuits) makes excellent jackets.....I have a few.

Keep in mind that the Expedition (it's an Indy jacket) is very lightweight and really only suitable for warmer weather. If you're looking for a three season jacket this one isn't it.

Agreed, I love my Expo in dark seal goat, and it is a very cool jacket - a very far cry from my Aero Stockman in FQHH (like about 8 lbs different) but on days like today where the temp in NYC hit mid 60s, was just perfect. Below 50 degrees and even with a sweater you will be chilled.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
cheaP stains

a jacket that looks cheap because the leather has been stained/tanned to look old or vintage

i've seen pix of aero jackets, and i had one, a horsehide highwayman in lightweight hide, brown...

i never had the impression aero had a cheap, stained look from the jacket i received or any pictures i've ever seen of their jackets.

tonypaj

Practically Family
Doublegun said:
For years I have wanted the perfect leather jacket. Not too short, but not too long. I have also like jackets that have a belt across the back and are adjustable. Pretty much exactly what Areo offers in their Long Half-belt. However, what I don't want is a jacket that looks cheap because the leather has been stained/tanned to look old or vintage. As much as I would like to have a well worn jacket, I am happy to put in the wearing myself so it becomes an old leather jacket. I also want the leather to be fairly heavy - something that will last a lifetime but break-in over a season of use.

Other than Aero, are there any other manufactures out there to consider? From those of you who already have jackets from Aero, what leather would you suggest?

Thanks again.

Jay

There's nothing cheap looking about Aero jackets, not even with the vintage finishes, which are not artificial looking at all. I have three of their jackets, and several "others", there is no comparison. "Fairly heavy", whenever I ask anyone to hold my FQHH long half belt I get comments about the jacket, from bullet proof to my grandchildren wearing it.

You can keep looking for your perfect jacket, I found mine simply by talking with Amanda...

Doublegun

Practically Family
Reading back over my original post I realize that I did not phrase it very well. I certainly did not mean to imply that Aero jackets look cheap (although I admit that is sounds like it from my post). What I was really getting at is that I don't want a jacket that looks like a department store jacket finished to look vintage and I hope that the leathers from Aero have not been treated or "distressed" in orer to look "vintage." I have samples of leathers coming from Amanda and I am looking forward to getting a chance to see the actual leather. Photos just don't tell me enough of the story to spend $600-$700 on a jacket.

I also should have recognized that there would not be such a buzz on this website about Aero if they were not the real deal.

Again, sorry for the poor atriculation. I certainly did not mean to speak negatively about Aero or anyone who owns one of their jackets.

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
I for one didn't take offense to your original post.

Taking the plunge on an Aero the first time is a huge leap of faith if you don't have any first hand experience with their products. It's only when you have one of their jackets in hand that you can tell they're a genuine, quality product. It will never be confused with a "mall jacket" but the pictures on the Aero web site really aren't the greatest.

CBI

One Too Many
For what you are suggesting, Aero is your best bet and there are numerous ways to get exactly what you want. The photos on the US site are pretty good. An older vintage used jacket by various makers can be had on eBay for less. As far as an established current maker - Aero. I am glad to see many happy Gibson and Barnes customers. I am not in this camp but that does not mean its not an option. Aero is just much nicer quality - and priced that way. At least with the current exchange rates, Aero is the best buy right now compared to what they have cost in the past! If I were to purchase a non-military style leather longish coat right now, it would be an Aero.

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
I have no experience with Aero, but that price range is on the table, I say try Magnoli Clothiers. Choice of hides, great personal service, made fully custom. If he doesn't have a jacket like the one you want, he'll gladly work with you to get the right design, or mix and match elements of stuff he already makes.

Magnoli is always looking for new stuff, leather and otherwise, to add to his line-up. I own two leather jackets from him already, and they are the best that I have every owned.

fraazierjo

New in Town
Jay,
I happen too have what you're looking for and I'm trying to get rid of some of my jackets. (Not sure I should be doing this on Fedora Lounge). It's a really fantastic 1954, fleece lined horsehide 3/4 length brown Windward coat in practically brand new condition - just a few scuffs to give it character. The HH is thick, supple, and smells like FQHH. This jacket is in perfect condition and as handsome as it was in the 50's. I think it's a size 42.This is a real find!

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have around 12 leather jackets. Many made here in Melbourne by a pretty good small company called Mars leathers. I have particular tastes. I do not like heavy leather jackets - 2 kilo or 4 pounds is as heavy as I would want. Aeros are not my thing therefore - no matter how well made. I have had several short Highwayman type jackets that weigh more (6 pounds) and I don't really like to wear them even when broken in over time. To my taste, the short leather jacket is usually worn too short, I guess that's why I prefer the look of the long half belt.

I do have a G&B Expo. It's a very good jacket and heavy enough for most uses here. At 1.6 kilos in size 42T I would not call it light - a heavy wool tweed winter jacket weighs just 800 grams. Just pretend the G&B isn't the jacket Indy wears if it bothers you (as it sometimes does me).

Melbourne weather goes from roughly 42 F winter to 114F summer, but even if it is 55F, as it is now, I would not want anything heavier than 2 kilos. I just find the heavy leather annoying and constrictive. And leather isn't that warm anyway without a thermal lining or a good sweater...

Surely in the US or the UK there are some small, "mom and pop" type businessess that make good custom leather jackets. If we have one in Melbourne, with just 3.5 million people, then other smaller and larger cities must have some little heard of leather garment manufacturers too. It would be nice to hear about some contemporary brands that aren't the usual suspects.

Cheers

vintage68

Practically Family
I also have a G&B Expedition and can attest to the quality.

Magnoli Clothiers offers a jacket copied from Robert Redford's character Roy Hobbs in The Natural that might fit your requirements. Here's the movie jacket:

Feature_Natural1-big-1.jpg

and here's Mag's:

http://www.magnoliclothiers.com/roy...ather-jackets-by-magnoli-clothiers-p-105.html

I've been wanting one for a while and might pull the trigger myself.

Southernwayfare

One of the Regulars
Regarding the "vintage" FQHH from Aero, it has not been stained or tanned differently from the standard FQHH to look vintage. And I wouldn't say that its been distressed either. Based on my understanding from lots of detailed questions and discussions with Aero, it starts as the same FQHH leather used in the non-vintage jackets and is simply "tumbled" for additional time to give it a more broken in feel. You can see some pics of my vintage brown FQHH Cheyenne here.

As I said in that post, the "vintage" tumbling definitely gives the coat a MUCH, MUCH less stiff feeling and more surface texture when compared to the standard FQHH. I know the standard FQHH gets there and I'm sure its very satisfying to do all the breaking in yourself but all my worries about going with the vintage FQHH (too soft, lighter weight, no variable tone, etc) were put to rest when I received my coat. It has heft and some stiffness but it doesn't feel like I'm wearing a box.

As HD has pointed out in other threads, the standard FQHH gets broken-in in particular places due to use and fit and so develops a more "marbled" look - areas where the leather doesn't have many creases and looks smooth and unbent winterupted with veins of creased leather running through it. I think this looks really good and you won't go through this stage with the "vintage" FQHH.

RP McMurphy

One of the Regulars
Doublegun

There's also Schott. While I don't own a leather jacket from them, I do have a peacoat that they made. It's nice work. I don't think they offer a halfbelt... but some of their motorcycle jackets look alot like Aero's.

As far as Aero is concerned, I can say firsthand that you'll get a jacket to last a lifetime. Actually, my LHB is made from the discontinued "crazy horse" leather that has alot of marbling to it from the start... I'm guessing that's not what you want however.

Be sure to specify the color and shade that you want... the current run of Brown FQHH is rather dark in color.

Hope this helps.

miles_archer

Familiar Face
Have you consulted a tailor?

You might want to talk to a local tailor about making a jacket for you. I have a guy that has done some work for me that I am thinking of having make me a jacket like you describe with elements of other Eastman and Aero jackets. It should end up costing less than an Aero or Eastman (with the current exchange rate). Also being bespoke he can tailor it exactly to my unique dimensions. Also just to add to the choir Aero jackets are great and their customer service is top notch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy