Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Leslie Howard fans?

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Hello,
This is my first post on the Fedora Lounge evan though I have been a member for pretty long.
What I wish to know is, how many Leslie Howard fans are there out there? I think Leslie Howard is SWELL! I would like to hear from other Howardites.

Atterbury Dodd

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
He had a short, but great career.

Classic. He is great. My favorite is "Stand In" with Humphrey Bogart.

"Leslie was born to Hungarian parents in London and went to Dulwich College. After school, he worked as a bank clerk until the outbreak of World War I. In 1917, diagnosed as shell shocked, he was invalided out and advised to take up acting as therapy. In a few years, his name was known on the stages of London and New York. He became known as the perfect Englishman, slim, tall, intellectual and sensitive, a part that he played in many movies and a part women would dream about. He made his first movie in 1930, 'Outward Bound', a film adaptation of the stage play in which he starred. In 'Never the Twain Shall Mee (1931) and 'Smilin' Through' (1932), he was playing the Englishman role to the hilt. His screen persona could perhaps be best summed up by his role as Sir Percy Blakeney in 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' (1934), a foppish member of society. It was Leslie who insisted that Humphrey Bogart get the role of Duke Mantee, in 'The Petrified Forest' (1936), the character that Bogart played in the stage production. With success, he became quite picky about which roles he would do and usually did but two films per year. In 1939, he played the character that was always be associated with him - that of Ashley Wilkes, the honour bound disillusioned intellectual southern gentleman in 'Gone with the Wind'. But war clouds were gathering over England and Leslie devoted all his energy on behalf of the war effort. He directed films, wrote articles and made radio broadcasts. He died in 1943 when the BOAC plane he was on was shot down by German fighters over the Bay of Biscay."

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Hello Andykev,
Stand In is my favorite to! Thats were I got my "Name" for this forum although my last name is really Dodds.
I am very happy to meet with all these replies on my first post.
Atterbury

Wild Root

Gone Home
I like him!

Seen some of his 30's movies... my friend Josh Curtis (now Lounge member) kind of looks like Mr. Howard...

643986642_l.jpg

And what ever you do, don't ask where his tie is... this photo was taken after a reception from what I understand... it was a long day for Josh.

=WR=

Atterbury Dodd

One Too Many
Hello,
Tony, I looked at the website you put on your post and it was great. I have spent allot of time looking for websites about Leslie Howard, don't know why I never found that one.

Wild Root,
Your friend does look a bit like Leslie Howard. He is all dressed up like Mr. Howard in Stand In, when he goes to the dance with Miss Sharee and gets punched in the eye by the phony Russian. Does your friend ever do Leslie Howard impersonations? I love the costume. Swell.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
I love Leslie Howard and I think Stand In is one of the great underrated films of the 1930s. Howard and Bogart are wonderful and it's fun to see Howard play comedy a bit broader than he usually does.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR