Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lets see your Balloon Tire Bikes

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Spudsnsalsa said:
The Roadmaster went on it's first roadtrip this morning....haven't addressed the frame paint yet but the mechanics are all in order.

Speaking of Roadmasters, I've just started working on a 1940s Roadmaster for a friend of mine who wants it to represent an early war Army bike (when any civilian model was "drafted" into use before the military contract bikes came on the scene). It kind of goes against my "it's only original once" mantra, but the original paint is actually much worse than it appears in the photo. Here's the "before" shot of it on the bike stand in my garage. Yeah, I know the garage is a mess. I need a shed.
100_1228.jpg

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Hi folks! Some awesome old bikes here! Samantha, I LOVE yours!

Can y'all help me date mine? I don't think it's an actual balloonie... but I like it just the same. It's an old Western Flyer I salvaged from a house they were dozing next to mine. It was originally a dark royal blue, with a bit of rust. I still want to paint the baskets. Just primered here.

I don't know anything about bikes, how do I buy new tires, etc?
Thanks!
Nikki
2455401771_7a35fa0619.jpg

2455407001_f7453bda04_b.jpg

2456222106_37280c812f.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
What you have there is a Murray-built Western Flyer that dates from between 1964 and 1968. The identical bike was also marketed as the Sears Spaceliner during that period. It would look right at home on the Jetsons, and was a product of our "space race" styling craze of the period. This series is growing in popularity with collectors, and prices are on the rise. This is a very collectable bike.
The bike is not a ballooner, but a middleweight. Tires are very common in the middleweight size (26x1.75) and are available through most bike shops or online. Although pretty in pink, that bike would also look good back in the original blue color with a set of whitewalls, like the one below (just my humble opinion).
P7240009.jpg

I hope this has been of some help.
-Chris

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Kilroy!
Ah, I knew I'd get razzed for the PINK. I wouldn't have painted it at all, if it hadn't been rusty in spots.

I wish I had more time to ride it. :(
Nikki

KilroyCD

One Too Many
ohairas said:
Thanks Kilroy!
Ah, I knew I'd get razzed for the PINK. I wouldn't have painted it at all, if it hadn't been rust in spots.

I wish I had more time to ride it. :(
Nikki
Nah, I'm not really razzing you for the pink, it does look nice. But one thing I'd do before riding it again would be to get those three missing spokes replaced on your front wheel. That is a safety issue, and speaking from experience, having a front wheel collapse while riding isn't fun.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Roadmaster Rebuild Update

About a week ago I posted a photo of an old Roadmaster I'm rebuilding as an Army bike for a friend. It was completely disassembled and new parts were purchased to replace those beyond redemption or economical restoration. Today the bike's components were painted (except for the chain guard - that'll get painted tomorrow) and all that remains after that gets painted will be reassembly. I really didn't think I'd be this far along just a couple of days ago. On Friday evening I cut my hand pretty badly while working on the bike. It set the project back two days, which really put me in a bind as I will be delivering this bike to its new owner on Saturday. But I've gotten caught up, which is quite a relief. Tomorrow I'll start reassembling it and I'll post photos of it when it's finished.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
KilroyCD said:
Speaking of Roadmasters, I've just started working on a 1940s Roadmaster for a friend of mine who wants it to represent an early war Army bike (when any civilian model was "drafted" into use before the military contract bikes came on the scene). It kind of goes against my "it's only original once" mantra, but the original paint is actually much worse than it appears in the photo. Here's the "before" shot of it on the bike stand in my garage. Yeah, I know the garage is a mess. I need a shed.
100_1228.jpg

After some blood, sweat and tears (well, no tears actually), here's the finished product. The Roadmaster has been rebuilt to represent an early war military bike.
100_1325.jpg

100_1329.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
David Conwill said:
Looks great! Is that an M1936 Musette bag? That's what I carried my books in during Junior High until the dry rotted stitching ripped out.

-Dave
I believe it is an M1936. The new owner of the bike added the bag. Once I arrived, he spirited the bike away from me before I had a chance to photograph it! I didn't get a chance to photograph the bike at home because it was dark outside when I finished the it, so I was hoping to photograph it at its new home, Fort Miles in Lewes, Delaware. I caught up with the bike a little later to take the shots, and the Musette bag was already on it.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
My Whizzer...

I know I've posted photos of the Whizzer before, but here is the most up to date shot after doing more tinkering. The last part of the "retrofication" process remaining is to replace the center stand with a rear drop stand. I'll try to accomplish that soon.
100_1341.jpg

KilroyCD

One Too Many
Well, I did it again...

I went to another auction and came home with...you guessed it, another vintage bike. This time it was a prewar Shelby Traveler that I got for $10. It needs a fair amount of work, but that's okay since it's going to be the "donor frame" for my vintage Whizzer build. Once refurbished, I'll be adding a Whizzer model H engine to this bike to make it representative of a late-1945 through 48 Whizzer.
Shelby.jpg

D

DeaconKC

Question here for all of you. I broke my back and neck in an accident 3 years ago and had to get rid of my mountain bike because it was just too painful now. Do the balloon tired bikes ride easier or do any of you have some suggestions? Thanks, Kevin

KilroyCD

One Too Many
DeaconKC said:
Question here for all of you. I broke my back and neck in an accident 3 years ago and had to get rid of my mountain bike because it was just too painful now. Do the balloon tired bikes ride easier or do any of you have some suggestions? Thanks, Kevin

Not knowing what kind of mountainbike you had, I can't say whether a ballooner will ride easier for you. However, I do have some suggestions.
If you're looking for a cruiser type bicycle, look for one with a front suspension fork. I'd also look for one with a seven or eight speed internally geared rear hub to make pedalling easier. Get a good springer style saddle for the bike if it doesn't have one. Also make sure the tires are good road tires, not the knobby type used on mountainbikes. You may find that the more upright seating position allowed by the swept handlebars on a cruiser might be easier on your back.
Now, although not retro-styled by any means, here's another suggestion that may be easier on your back. Get a mountain bike with front and rear suspension. Replace the straight handlebars with a nice set of half-moon cruiser bars so you can sit more upright, and replace the seat with a comfortable springer saddle. Lastly, swap the tires for road tires (less rolling resistance). This will give you a hybrid, with the good shock absorbing suspension of the mountain bike along with the comfort features of a cruiser.

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Kilroy, I must say that sounds like a comfy bicycle you've described, but I couldn't help but grin, because the hybrid of classic and modern parts makes it sound a bit like the Delorean in BTTF III with the vacuum tube electronics and bias-ply whitewalls.

For retro rear suspension, how about a bicycle styled after the 1914 Indian Hendee Special? The rear of the frame was two big leaf springs!

cnsphoto-boswell-motorcycle.jpg

-Dave

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Whizzzzzzing GORGEOUS!!!

Absolutely adore this...!! What I wouldn't do to have a whizzzz on this baby :eusa_clap Just heaven!

KilroyCD said:
I know I've posted photos of the Whizzer before, but here is the most up to date shot after doing more tinkering. The last part of the "retrofication" process remaining is to replace the center stand with a rear drop stand. I'll try to accomplish that soon.
100_1341.jpg

D

DeaconKC

Thanks for the suggestions. I would like to be able to ride again, so you have given me some good ideas!

The Shirt

Practically Family
This is a great thread. I've recently inherited my mothers old Western Flyer and plan to restore it for her (me!). I've picked up some good hints in here. I don't think the paint and pinstripping is in very good shape. But I may just try to clean it up and retouch the white. The seat is trashed but it has a hilarious old bike seat which I remember her shoving me into when I was very young that looks like a deathtrap by today's comparisons. Tires hold air but I think that whitewalls would look great on it. Any advice on where to start or to think twice about touching?

I was also trying to date the bike. Can someone point me in a direction to figure this out? Is there an online source that compares or shows photos of bikes (especially women's). I'd love to learn a bit more and find a few styles that I love to keep my eyes open for. I'm definitely a 50's nut if that helps.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
The Shirt said:
This is a great thread. I've recently inherited my mothers old Western Flyer and plan to restore it for her (me!). I've picked up some good hints in here. I don't think the paint and pinstripping is in very good shape. But I may just try to clean it up and retouch the white. The seat is trashed but it has a hilarious old bike seat which I remember her shoving me into when I was very young that looks like a deathtrap by today's comparisons. Tires hold air but I think that whitewalls would look great on it. Any advice on where to start or to think twice about touching?

I was also trying to date the bike. Can someone point me in a direction to figure this out? Is there an online source that compares or shows photos of bikes (especially women's). I'd love to learn a bit more and find a few styles that I love to keep my eyes open for. I'm definitely a 50's nut if that helps.
Western Flyer bikes were made by a number of manufacturers for Western Auto stores. Do you have a photo you can post of the bike? That way I can most likely tell you who made it, and possibly the time frame.
Keeping in mind that even badly oxidized paint can be brought back to life with the right rubbing compound. Rust on the other hand, usually can't be removed completely by the compound.
If you plan to ride it I would strongly suggest getting new tires. Older ones will likely be cracking along the sidewalls, and I'm hesitant to suggest riding on them. There are a lot of classic styled white wall balloon tires out there, and they're at varying prices. You can usually get Kenda ballooners for less than $15 each. As to the online source for classic bikes, try the CABE (Classic and Antique Bicycle Exchange) www.thecabe.com/. Another great source is Nostalgic.net www.nostalgic.net .

The Shirt

Practically Family
Kilroy - you are the best. Such a great source of knowledge on this. I will post the bike next week and try and find the serial number as well. I just know ma hit the streets of Hayes, Kansas on this baby and did some damage and broke some hearts. I plan to try to live up to the legacy.

Jay

Practically Family
KilroyCD said:
Speaking of Roadmasters, I've just started working on a 1940s Roadmaster for a friend of mine who wants it to represent an early war Army bike (when any civilian model was "drafted" into use before the military contract bikes came on the scene). Here's the "before" shot of it on the bike stand in my garage.

Nicely done Kilroy. But I have a question- I have a post-war Roadmaster very similar to that, but the sprocket (every-other link variety) is kind of rusty. I noticed you swapped the old one out on yours- Do they make a replacement or would I have to change mine as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn